Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How many school uniforms should I buy?
1  2  Next

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:19 pm
Hi,

My daughter is going into pre-1a in the fall and will be wearing school uniforms for the first time.

I never had them as a kid and I have no idea how many is normal to buy.

Currently I change her clothing every day and we do laundry around every 8 days. Her clothes get messy every day.

How many uniforms do most people buy for a 5 year old? And with the hooded sweatshirts, how many of those?

Thanks!

studying_torah

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:23 pm
Uniforms are super expensive, and kids grow quickly , so it might make sense to buy fewer , but launder them more often. 4 skirts and 5 shirts should be a good start, 2-3 sweaters.
Find out if the store sells uniforms during the year, in case you see you need more , they get too ruined or she grows .

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:35 pm
I buy 6 shirts (enough for the week + 1) and 3 skirts. 1 sweater since dd doesn't like to wear them much (otherwise I'd buy 2).

greenfire

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:38 pm
since we had solids & plaids + jumpers & skirts ... I purchased enough for kid to have a clean uniform everyday as well as a change

as kids get older they get less messy and/or uniforms get even more expensive ... we had only 2 skirts [from a uniform gemach] that lasted from 7th through 11th grades but we always bought lots of fresh white blouses ... a MUST !!!

m+m

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:40 pm
I bought 5 shirts and 4 jumpers. I don't mind if dd wears the jumper twice if it stays clean. Sunday is usually laundry day. And I bought 1 sweater.

mamaleh

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:40 pm
I never bought more than 3 skirts/jumpers per kid (my little one can be quite messy, but I found 3 got me through a full week- remember that they have less opportunity to make a mess in grade school), now they each have 2 ($ was tight when we bought) and that's usually enough. My girls wear navy polos so those I always got more of (cheap). School sweater, each has one- my girls didn't really wear them over their jumpers. Became much more 'into' it when they switched to skirts.

sky

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 6:55 pm
I buy one shirt for each day = 5
And 3 jumpers. At the end of many days the jumpers are still clean enough to wear one more time - if not I do an extra jumper load.

zigi

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 10:23 pm
you know yourself, is it worth having more so you can wait longer for the laundry, or if you have more kids and you are washing more often you might as well get less.

cbg

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 10:29 pm
Will you be able to buy shirts mid year, or do you need to buy enough for the year now?

If you can buy mid year, I would start out with 5 shirts, 3 skirt/jumper.
If it's a 1x deal, buy an extra 2, the next size up, if she doesn't use them, you'll have them for next year. Also, I'd stay away from the white shirts (if it's an option) since they get dingy fast.

seeker

Post Thu, May 25 2017, 11:48 pm
Depends how often you want to do laundry. I'm a once-a-week-or-less person because I hate laundry day and would rather just buy more clothes than do more laundry. I draw the line at $40 uniform jumpers but I get the shirts on sale when I can. So each kid has about 7 regular shirts, 2 white shirts (for those 2-day rosh chodesh-es). I scouted for hand-me-down jumpers so I ended up with 2 main jumpers and 1 "if the good ones are dirty and we're desperate" backup. One sweater each, they don't need to wear it all the time.

I have found that the jumpers and sweaters spot-clean fairly easily so even if they do get dirty it's not such a big deal that I'd need more of them.

Bear in mind that from pre-1-a and on kids start growing up and getting dirty a lot less than they did in preschool. Hopefully they're getting more coordinated with eating and generally being neat. They do much fewer messy projects, they won't be doing much painting and baking in the future. My kids' school started having a uniform in kindergarten (what the rest of the world calls pre-k... seriously!!!) and I found myself needing to wash both of my kindergartener's jumpers every week and calling in the backup quite often, while my first-grader only needs at most one washed per week but often even that can just be spot cleaned (saves the pleats...the kindergartener's pleats are shot by now.) Shirts go in the hamper every day, I get a break on rosh chodesh week because nothing happens if I push off the dreaded laundry one more day Wink

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 4:54 pm
Can I wash and dry pleated jumpers like normal laundry or do they require special care?

seeker

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 4:56 pm
HANG DRY, NO DRYER!
Wash as infrequently as you can get away with (like when it's filthy; if something just dripped on it then spot-clean) but when you do wash, you can wash normally.
BUT NEVER PUT PLEATS IN A DRYER.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 4:57 pm
63 wrote:
Can I wash and dry pleated jumpers like normal laundry or do they require special care?

Wash in cold water and hang up to dry immediately. Depending on the material, they can stay pretty nice. (Ours is a simple polyester and washes and air dries on the hanger beautifully. I give them in to the cleaners to presss twice a year. But if you have a thick wool or woven type, it may be different.) No dryer. Ever.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 5:46 pm
I have recently discovered that you can put the jumpers in the dryer on air dry. Not only does it not harm them, the pleats seem much sharper than with hanging to dry. (Anon, cause I've been telling EVERYONE about this)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 6:37 pm
I started out with only two jumpers and three uniform shirts and we managed beautifully! I knew I could always buy more if necessary. This year, DD actually has two skirts and one jumper, but one skirt was bought midyear last year. I'm surprised that so many of the above posters feel that more is necessary; then again, I do laundry a few times a week.

cnc

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 6:40 pm
5 shirts, 3 skirts, 2 sweaters
I do laundry approximately once a week.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 6:54 pm
I'm having a similar dilemma. First year in uniform I have gotten 2 jumpers so far, I had family come from England so had them bring me back some but only 2 bc wasn't sure about sizing. I usually do some laundry during the week but my concern is I'm due with a baby IY"H beginning of September so maybe I should get a couple more as I may not be as on top of it although I do have new more regular cleaning help who has been very helpful with the laundry so maybe I will be ok with just the 2...
My mother is coming for sukkos from England and said she can bring me more when she comes if I feel I need but it's those first few weeks leading up to sukkos I am concerned about...
And no I do not feel like shopping around for ones that fit from here or paying through the roof for the frum store ones when the ones from England are perfect fit and a great price and quality!

joyful mom

Post Fri, May 26 2017, 7:02 pm
Depnds how much you want to spend on uniforms and how often you will be washing it. My kids currently have 2 sets each but I wash every 2 days. They never wear it twice without washing. If I wash the uniforms at night then I make sure to hang it in a good spot overnight while spreading it out so it is dry by the morning.

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 10:07 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
I started out with only two jumpers and three uniform shirts and we managed beautifully! I knew I could always buy more if necessary. This year, DD actually has two skirts and one jumper, but one skirt was bought midyear last year. I'm surprised that so many of the above posters feel that more is necessary; then again, I do laundry a few times a week.

I do laundry a few times a week too but take into account
1. Not getting to it one week. The time I was tired, sick, went on vacation...
2. Pushing off the hard items to launder during a busy week (those that need soaking and scrubbing like uniform shirts).
2. Wear and tear. When we only had a few at one point and laundered the same ones throughout the week I had to replace them mid school year because of shredding cuffs on the Oxford shirts (lots of soaking involved for stains).
I think it's very individual, based on the specific mom and child.

mamaleh

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 10:35 pm
I also think it depends on the type and color of the shirt. Lighter colors need more frequent washing and often soaking for cuffs and stains, oxfords need more attention in the wash so as to look crisp and fresh, darker colors and polos are generally easier to clean and need to be cleaned less often.There is also a difference between jumpers and skirts, girls wearing skirts generally need their shirts cleaned more often then those wearing jumpers and those wearing jumpers need their skirts cleaned more often than those wearing skirts.

I wonder if each of us added that info to our posts if the range (at least for shirts) would make more sense.

My girls wear navy polos and younger grades wear jumpers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics