Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you use a peeler on shabbos?
1  2  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 7:43 pm
Does anyone know of an accepted "yeshivish" rav who holds that you can use a peeler on shabbos?

notshanarishona

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 7:49 pm
No, it's straight out borer.

thanks

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 7:55 pm
I use a peeler on shabbos. Since the peels are edible, and some vegetable comes off with the peel, there are those that consider it permissible. We would be considered yeshivish. (In my parents home we did not use it on shabbos, only on yomtov.)

blimilev12

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 8:04 pm
yes. reb shlomo zalmen orbach zt"l writes that one is allowed to use peeler on shabbos

cnc

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 8:07 pm
Ye. My father's RY ( yeshivish) said that it is permitted. Not comfortable publicizing the name - you can PM me.

I was never aware that people hold it's assur until
I got married.

ra_mom

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 9:15 pm
Yes.
There are different opinions on the matter.

ally

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 9:17 pm
I think it also depends on whether people generally eat the peel of what you are peeling.

Cmon be nice

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 9:42 pm
thanks wrote:
I use a peeler on shabbos. Since the peels are edible, and some vegetable comes off with the peel, there are those that consider it permissible. We would be considered yeshivish. (In my parents home we did not use it on shabbos, only on yomtov.)

I thought that since the peeler itself is a specialized instrument its not allowed?

tichellady

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 9:50 pm
Not sure why people think that hilkhot shabbos would be different for yeshivaish people vs non yeshivaish people, or niddah or kashrut for that matter but I notice this bizarre sentiment on this site.

We use a peeler for things that we would eat with a peel but prefer peeled ( cucumber is actually the only thing I really ever peel on Shabbat as I'm not peeling potatoes or sweet potatoes on Shabbat ) and use it right before the meal. We are modern orthodox but I fail to see why that is relevant here.

tichellady

Post Sat, May 27 2017, 9:53 pm
Cmon be nice wrote:
I thought that since the peeler itself is a specialized instrument its not allowed?

http://dinonline.org/2013/02/0.....bbos/

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 12:22 am
What a great question! I never really thought about it before, but I can see both sides of the issue.

DH is chassidish, and he considers a peeler to be just another type of knife that is allowed on Shabbos.

The question of borer is an interesting one. I guess if you're taking off part of the vegetable, and are not particular if some of the edible stuff comes away, then that would answer the question and make it permissable.

I think it's like if a fruit fly lands in your wine, you can scoop it out as long as you take a teaspoon of wine with it, and throw out the wine you removed with the bug.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 4:19 am
Frantic it's not for you to pasken anyway op asked for a rav. So you saying why and how is irrelevant. It's what her rav will pasken. I find it odd that people pasken when they know that it belongs to a rav. I know you didn't mean this in a wrong way at all. Remember when it's Halacha we don't pasken alone.

achayl

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 4:23 am
never on shabbos, on Yom Tov yes.

AlwaysThinking

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 5:13 am
In Israel most (all?) yeshivish rabbonim don't allow it - it's different in America I believe.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 5:21 am
I'm from the UK. And quite surprised to hear that people use peelers on Shabbos.

Even it you do use, from a quick halachic search, there seems to be a big difference when using it for something which the majority of people eat with the peel on (eg. apples) and for those that are generally discarded (eg. carrots). The latter could easily be borei min HaTorah.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 5:54 am
On Shabbos no, on YomTov yes.

I never heard about a distinction between items where the peel is generally eaten or not. That's interesting. The peeler itself is really just a specialized knife, so the issue would appear to be borer.

Last edited by Rubber Ducky on Sun, May 28 2017, 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 5:58 am
For those of you that are saying no for Shabbos but yes for Yom Tov, what is the difference?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 6:02 am
CNC, I just added to my previous post. The difference is borer; selection is different on YomTov than Shabbos.

octopus

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 6:09 am
notshanarishona wrote:
No, it's straight out borer.

I don't use a peeler on shabbos, but I have never heard that it was straight out assur. I can't quote a sefer directly, but I remember one explanation saying that a yarei shamayim wouldn't use a peeler on shabbos.

cnc

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 6:11 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
CNC, I just added to my previous post. The difference is borer; selection is different on YomTov than Shabbos.

Thank you.
I wasn't aware that borer is different on Shabbos and Yom Tov.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen