Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Cheesecake - parve equipment

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:35 pm
Cold ingredients - standard cheesecake recipe. Halacha refresher needed (call to rav went to VM) - will my mixer stay parve?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:39 pm
You're better off buying a $15 hand mixer or hand blender.
After the fact if you used it and you asked a shaila it would still be considered parve, but not sure it's a l'chatchila.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You're better off buying a $15 hand mixer or hand blender.
After the fact if you used it and you asked a shaila it would still be considered parve, but not sure it's a l'chatchila.

After all the $$ spent on the ingredients, I'd rather not spend more!! Thanks for the response.

srbmom

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:56 pm
My rav says it's fine to use the pareve mixer and all measuring utensils. Just make sure to also wash everything off with cold water well before using hot water

sky

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 1:58 pm
I was told it was fine - just need to wash the equipment very well after in COLD water.

Personally I'm nervous about cleaning every crevice and think its worth it to buy a $15 mixer I'll use again then mess up my expensive mixer.

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 2:11 pm
I do it all by hand, in a big milk bowl with a milk wooden spoon, really not a big deal, mo extra outlay, and no shailos.

nw11

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 2:23 pm
I also do it cold (as per our Rav's instruction), and don't leave it for long or else the batter hardens and becomes much more complicated to remove. Even if there's a tiny residue it won't make shailos as it will be botel beshishim when you put in the next items.

anotherima

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 2:39 pm
My cheesecake recipe can be made in a blender, which I have for milchig. anyone want my recipe?

unexpected

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:08 pm
My mixer is washed in my milchig sink, so it is milchigs. I use it mostly for pareve stuff - just wait 24 hours between washes/milchigs. Everything that goes into it is cold/lukewarm anyway...

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:09 pm
Why wont a whisk and a bowl work?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:51 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Why wont a whisk and a bowl work?

It might. I don't want a work-around if I can use my mixer.

Thanks to all who responded! (I've also emailed my Rav).

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 4:27 pm
This has come for me in the past. I only realized to ask after I did it. I was told that it's really a problem because the mixer gets hot when it's running so it's not just cold ingredients anymore.
In my case it was fine bec it was already done but I was told it's not something to be done in the first place.

I know you spent a lot of money on the ingredients already but consider the $15 as an investment and the coming Shavuous's you will be glad to be able to pull out a dairy mixer and have no questions to ask.

Good luck!

fatso gal

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 4:37 pm
I have the ice cream attachment for my mixer. My husband asked when we first got it as we also wanted to make parve sorbets. He was told as long as it is cleaned out well after it is used it is fine to make dairy ice cream in it. also all ingredients must be cold when put in.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 10:27 pm
Thanks all. I got the go-ahead from my Rav. Will monitor contents of bowl to make sure it doesn't warm up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen