Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Protocol during trial period

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 3:08 pm
I started a very part time job that is once a week for now. I am presently in the middle of a trial period but I don't think I want to commit to this job for the long term (at least not with the current responsibilities). Do I wait till the end of the trial to tell my employer- or do I let him know now?

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 4:10 pm
Are you sure you're not going to change your mind?
The trial period is for both of you. This is your time to figure out if this job might work for you.

groovy1224

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 4:20 pm
If you are sure, I would tell him now. Instead of spending more time training you and trying you out for a job you don't intend to keep.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, May 28 2017, 4:49 pm
amother wrote:
I started a very part time job that is once a week for now. I am presently in the middle of a trial period but I don't think I want to commit to this job for the long term (at least not with the current responsibilities). Do I wait till the end of the trial to tell my employer- or do I let him know now?

Two things could happen- you'd be 'let go' immediately, or you'll be asked to stay until the end of the trial.

If you are okay with result one - tell them.

BabsB

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:44 am
I would let them know you aren't feeling it just yet, but it doesn't need to be so black or white.

If you come at the discussion asking for an open dialogue, you may all be able to work together. Use the trial period to the adjust the job expectations so all interested parties are satisfied.

Then again, neither side may be interested in change.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:48 am
groovy1224 wrote:
If you are sure, I would tell him now. Instead of spending more time training you and trying you out for a job you don't intend to keep.

This.

Tell them that given the current responsibilities, you realize that this is not a position you're interested in. If there's something that could change to make a difference to you, say it. Otherwise, let them find someone who wants the job, and you can look for something that you're interested in doing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics