Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
2 kids under 1.5...ALL TIPS NEEDED!!!
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 6:30 am
amother wrote:
You didn't feel tied to the bench? Like what if toddler needed you mid-nurse? At home you can put the baby somewhere or flash some skin. Not so in public...

I wanted to do this but was always worried I'd have to catch dd if she ran in the street or something. The lack of confinement always stopped me from going to the park when baby needed to nurse, though it would have perfectly entertained the toddler.

The park helps a lot because toddler can't get into trouble. But at home unless it's an emergency the toddler learns to wait.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 7:45 am
I had two kids 15.5 months apart. Didn't send out the oldest until he was 22 months old
Here are the tips I have:
1) It will take time to get used to having 2 kids, and as Chazal teach us, "All beginnings are difficult." But within a few months, it will get easier. I remember crying so much during the first few weeks. Your newborn will get into a more predictable schedule and your older one will become older and know how to entertain himself better.
2) If you didn't do so already - get your oldest one into a schedule asap (naptime in the afternoon, bathtime, sleep, etc.) it will really help you to know when you can expect to have free time or just time alone with your newborn.
3) use disposables. Make super easy and quick meals.
4) Take care of yourself. At least once a month, your budget allowing, do something for yourself - a manicure, going out to eat, a facial, buy a new shirt, etc. Also try to work a date night with dh into your monthly schedule.
5) Get a good double stroller and go out with them once a day (if the weather allows). Even if it's just a 15 min walk or a walk to the park. The fresh air and exercise will lift your spirits and keep your babies calm

After my 2nd was about 6 mos, I found having two kids so close in age to be relatively easy. I would put them to nap at the same time, and they started playing together. By the time the baby was 9 months, they were good friends and would laugh together, dance to music, etc. BH now they are 3.5 and almost 5 and are best friends

Bshaah tova Smile enjoy them!

GetReal

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:02 am
My first two are 13 months apart. Two things that saved my life: cosleeping with the baby so I got some rest and a baby carrier so I could wear the baby while I chased the toddler.

They're eight and nine now BH! Have much nachas.

saw50st8

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 8:03 am
My oldest kids are 19 months apart (followed by 20 months and then 24 months).

First, invest in a great baby carrier like an ergo. That was lifesaving for me. It meant I could tend to the toddler while wearing the baby or vice versa. It allowed me to be a lot more mobile.

Second, make your home as safe a spossible so you don't have to micromanage as much. Make sure to have a safe nursing space.

Let go of all expectations - cleaning, cooking etc. Trim things where you can.

We always went on lots of walks. There is a lot for a toddler to see and they get fresh air and sunshine. Park is good too. If I'm at the park and it's not fenced, I would give the toddler a snack in the stroller while I nursed the baby.

It's really not so bad once you get into the swing of things. Having kids close in age is awesome!

mummiedearest

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:48 am
double jogging stroller. my first two are 14 months apart. I did not have help, and my dh came home late every night. did not send to daycare. try to get them to nap at the same time. other than that, baby proof the house, clean while the kids nap, and take a walk with them in the stroller for 2-3 hours a day, rain or shine. make sure to have a rain cover that fits the stroller well, good boots for yourself, and errands to run on rainy days so you're not outdoors the whole time. walking at the same time daily will allow them to nap together at that time. if you can find another mom who is home, have a weekly playdate so you can hang out with her. if you're nursing, get yourself comfortable with nursing in public (with a cover or whatever). being able to feed the baby anywhere will make a huge difference in sanity level. having a general schedule will help. don't just schedule the kids, have set times for different chores for yourself. don't forget to relax as much as possible, spend time cuddling them, reading to them, dancing with them, singing with them, and enjoying them. and remember, it's ok for them to play on the floor while you read a book on the couch. I crocheted a complex blanket while watching mine. they had some independence, I got to relax. don't panic about it now, allow yourself time to adapt. you'll figure out how to manage what you need to manage.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 11:36 am
I'm happy some more people responded that they didn't send their oldest out and managed.

I had a hard time understanding how the only way you can manage to take care of two under 1.5 years is to not take care of both of them!

But what do I know...my second gap will be 18 months but I haven't had the baby yet...
My first gap was 21 months which is different, but not so so different and everyone thought I was crazy for keeping the two home. Sure it was hard in the beginning but I feel like it would have been harder if I had sent her out.
Something that I think people don't realize is that sending kids out too early can actually make it harder on you. Yes, you have some hours of peace, but kids that are not ready to be out get much much harder. They often get clingy and needy and develop more slowly (not necessarily physically, but intellectually) - they stay babies.
So it's a toss up because you'll be "free" (if you can describe taking care of a newborn as free) for half a day, but tied to your oldest the second half a day...
My oldest turned into an oldest after the baby. She "contributed" to the second's care and really grew into her role as big sister. As they both grew up, I'm for sure having an easier time than some people I know with bigger gaps because their oldests act like such babies for their age.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Jun 01 2017, 12:48 pm
amother wrote:
You didn't feel tied to the bench? Like what if toddler needed you mid-nurse? At home you can put the baby somewhere or flash some skin. Not so in public...

I wanted to do this but was always worried I'd have to catch dd if she ran in the street or something. The lack of confinement always stopped me from going to the park when baby needed to nurse, though it would have perfectly entertained the toddler.

This the park Ruchel is referring to. http://www.cdiscount.com/pret-.....014ae
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics