Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Help me be dan l'chav zechus
Previous  1  2  3

Simple1

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:32 am
It's upsetting that they owe you money. But I don't think water is necessarily a luxury, it's more of a personal decision -everyone has different ideas of what's necessary and what's luxury. Some people are nervous about contamination in the tap water.

Did you send them bills? Are they aware they owe you money? Could it be she is not aware that she owes because her husband didn't share this with her.

octopus

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:59 am
shock This is what you are upset about? Yes, be upset that they owe you money. But they are at costco buying water?! c'mon! It's one thing you saw her at a jewelry store picking out a piece of pricey jewelry...

zigi

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:06 am
it is cheaper to have a bunch on had if you are running out the door than to buy it at 1$ each.
maybe she is selling them?

zigi

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:07 am
my kids drink more when the water is in water bottles than regular tap with a cup, they like to take them to school too

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:54 am
octopus wrote:
shock This is what you are upset about? Yes, be upset that they owe you money. But they are at costco buying water?! c'mon! It's one thing you saw her at a jewelry store picking out a piece of pricey jewelry...

That's the point- if they were buying jewelry, it would be easier to think of an explanation (gift from someone, barter with the jeweler, etc). My feeling is deep sadness that a family with a lot of debt would be so clueless as to spend on water. Of all things. What a stupid thing to spend money on!
Thanks everyone for lots of great ideas and food for thought and mussar!

Chayalle

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:01 pm
Interesting that someone commented that Lakewood tap water is awful. I happen to have no issue with it at all. But I buy bottled water for Shalom Bayis - my DH doesn't like the tap water so I don't make an issue over it. (I don't owe anyone rent money, though - B"H - but I do need to try to save money where I can).

Maybe the buyer is like me, though, and buys it for SB.

Simple1

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Interesting that someone commented that Lakewood tap water is awful. I happen to have no issue with it at all. But I buy bottled water for Shalom Bayis - my DH doesn't like the tap water so I don't make an issue over it. (I don't owe anyone rent money, though - B"H - but I do need to try to save money where I can).

Maybe the buyer is like me, though, and buys it for SB.

In that case op could get upset at the dh for insisting on bottled water. Wink

Could be the difference in taste depends on your home and pipes.

Simple1

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:24 pm
amother wrote:
That's the point- if they were buying jewelry, it would be easier to think of an explanation (gift from someone, barter with the jeweler, etc). My feeling is deep sadness that a family with a lot of debt would be so clueless as to spend on water. Of all things. What a stupid thing to spend money on!

My family won't drink from the tap. Without bottled water, they would just dehydrate or drink too much sugar drinks, which anyway is more expensive than water. Personally, I can tolerate sink water, but would rather not.
(We're not in debt, but still need to be careful what we spend.)

I still think they should come up with a way to pay you back. That's a separate issue.

octopus

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:52 pm
amother wrote:

And I would have a harder time wrapping my head around the jewelry! (even if gifted, I think that would arouse resentment in my heart regardless) Your heart is very much in the right place. I think it's okay that you feel bothered. Acknowledge it and move on.

farm

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:
Honestly I dont see what's there too be dan lkaf zuchus! All they did was buy water! I'm not getting it.

This is going to sound mean but I don't intend it that way, there just isn't a nicer way to say it-
Are you aware that you can turn on your faucet and get water? For free (unless the apartment also has a water meter and your landlord doesn't pay it)?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics