Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Where to buy bookshelves for seforim
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 1:54 pm
I'm looking to buy nice looking bookshelves for my living room for all of our seforim. I would like them to look nice and be sturdy to be able to withstand the weight of the seforim. I'm not in the NY area so if it can be from a regular store it would be great!
Any suggestions of where to find?

Thank you

water_bear88

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 1:58 pm
I wouldn't recommend just any Ikea furniture, but we've been very happy with our Billy bookcases from them. One has even survived a couple of moves already.

Ilovemaryland

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 1:59 pm
Lowe's

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 2:01 pm
I would recommend the IKEA hemmed bookcase. Happy with them! http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalo.....1752/

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 2:07 pm
Ilovemaryland wrote:
Lowe's

Any particular one?

Thank you everyone for the advice so far. Anyone have personal experience with any of them, are they lasting well, durable?

samantha87

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 2:08 pm
We also have the Ikea Billy bookcases. They look good, and the deep one holds a shas well. The only drawback is that the shelves aren't fully adjustable, but there is a range of height for each.

nicole81

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 2:40 pm
amother wrote:
I would recommend the IKEA hemmed bookcase. Happy with them! http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalo.....1752/

I have 2 Hemnes bookcases and they were a complete waste of money. They're beautiful and solid wood, but they're built defectively; the dowels that support the shelves are too short and the shelves continually topple. The back piece also doesn't stay on. To make the bookshelf safely operable, you would have to build your own brackets into each shelf. I have one friend with the same issue, and after experiencing it, I googled and it turns out a number of people have issues with the Hemnes line.

I clearly recommend not purchasing this bookshelf.

water_bear88

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 3:06 pm
samantha87 wrote:
We also have the Ikea Billy bookcases. They look good, and the deep one holds a shas well. The only drawback is that the shelves aren't fully adjustable, but there is a range of height for each.

Just curious, how deep are yours? I think they only sell one depth in Israel (30cm) and it holds Oz V'Hadar Gemaras fine. (Not sure how those size up to other editions but I think they're on the larger side for Vilnas.)

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:37 pm
Sauder bookcase look good and last well.I'm very pleased with my dark mahogany with doors on the bottom.

seeker

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:13 pm
Agree with above - I highly recommend Ikea Billy, but I don't recommend Ikea Hemnes. The Hemnes units look nice and the shelves seem to hold up well (though it's hard to tell because I have the narrow ones, which anyway wouldn't buckle as easily as wide ones) but I have experienced the issue described above - the back doesn't stay on well which results in the shelves falling off the pegs. Plus they stand on feet which means a lot of dust and things collect under them.

I've had a wide Billy for quite a number of years now, one unit holding an entire set of large Gemaras and complete large Shulchan Oruch, in addition to other assorted seforim packed to the gills, and it is holding up GREAT. No signs of strain.

I have an Ikea Pax which is a closet system and more expensive, and while I love it as a closet I would never recommend it for shelves because the shelves are bending into the middle after just a couple of years. They were NOT cheap and while I do pack them pretty full, I didn't think I was overtaxing them. They're holding clothes and games, not gemaras! It's significantly wider than the Billy, though, which I guess puts more strain on the middle. So I guess my message is that if you wanted that kind of system then consider going for two narrower ones instead of one wider one.

Or just buy Billies. I like that it comes in different door options, too - I got doors on bottom and open on top, but you can also get full doors, no doors, or doors that are wood on bottom and glass on top for the real breakfront look!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 11:30 am
Bump
Any other ideas? Places to get?

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 1:15 pm
Google sauder heritage hill bookcase.

I just recently ordered these.
I know people are happy with them.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:
Google sauder heritage hill bookcase.

I just recently ordered these.
I know people are happy with them.

Do they fit standard size seforim?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 7:31 pm
love my sauder bookcases! they do fit regular size seforim!

they are not very tall

amother
Red

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 7:42 pm
https://www.hayneedle.com/prod.....k.cfm

I bought the 96 inch bookcases. So far they're holding up well.

eschaya

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 8:26 pm
We bought used bookshelves from a law office via Craig's list. They were built to hold heavy law tomes, so no buckling or warping at all. Best purchase ever!

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Jul 02 2017, 8:26 pm
amother wrote:
Do they fit standard size seforim?

I measured before ordering, and they should.

They aren't that tall, so keep that in mind. I don't think it's an issue, but imagine it would bother some people.

n

Post Sun, Oct 14 2018, 12:19 pm
BUmping this thread-looking to replace my ikea billy bookshelves for something quality that will hold our seforim. Any cheaper Jewish companies that do this? Looking for equivalent to three billy bookcases...thank you!!!

Chamudi

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:14 pm
Hi,
Why are you looking to replace the Ikea Billy shelves? I was going to buy them based on previous posts that said they were good.
I'm disappointed because I haven't found anything else recommended other than the expensive Jewish ones.
Thanks!

Chamudi

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 11:15 pm
n wrote:
BUmping this thread-looking to replace my ikea billy bookshelves for something quality that will hold our seforim. Any cheaper Jewish companies that do this? Looking for equivalent to three billy bookcases...thank you!!!

Wanted to quote you, why are you looking to replace them? I also need bookcases. Would be interested in hearing what you find out!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics