Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
57 yo with two 9 yos in trunk of vehicle

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 2:23 pm
I just saw this on YnetNews. It's rather interesting that the article focuses on the seatbelt issue, not why a 57 yo man would be driving around with two minor females in the trunk of his vehicle.

"Driver caught with two 9-year-old girls in his trunk
The 57-year-old driver claims the girls asked to sit in the trunk together and that he fashioned makeshift seatbelts for such occasions; he received a NIS 500 ticket and had two points added to his record.
Raanan Ben-Zur|Published: 28.05.17 , 16:15
A 57-year-old settler from Bat Ayin was caught Sunday morning in the Jerusalem area driving two nine-year-old girls in the trunk of his car.

Follow Ynetnews on Facebook and Twitter

Traffic Police officers stationed on the west-bound lane of route 375 noticed hand movements from the trunk through the back window.

When one of the officers signaled the driver to stop, he was shocked to find two girls sitting there.

The driver claimed the girls had asked to sit there together, and that he even fashioned makeshift seatbelts for such occasions.

He received a NIS 500 ($140) traffic ticket and had two points added to his driving record. His car was also taken off the road.

The Traffic Police said failure to use seatbelts and car seats significantly raises the severity of a child's injury in an accident.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articl......html

ora_43

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 2:32 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
I just saw this on YnetNews. It's rather interesting that the article focuses on the seatbelt issue, not why a 57 yo man would be driving around with two minor females in the trunk of his vehicle.

I think it's safe to assume that if he'd been kidnapping them or something, that would have been the headline.

Probably he's a relative.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 4:39 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I think it's safe to assume that if he'd been kidnapping them or something, that would have been the headline.

Probably he's a relative.

THIS. A classic case of poor judgement, all around.

The other day I saw a man on a bicycle, with an infant strapped to his back, a 4yo on the handlebars, and a 3yo on the cross bar between the handle bars and the seat.

One one hand, you gotta give the dad some props for being involved with his kids, but with the way Israelis drive - Surprised - all it would take is for a taxi to come tearing around the corner to bump into them CVS.

Kids are far more likely to die at the hands of poor parenting choices, then they are by strangers with candy.

rydys

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 5:34 pm
Looks more like the back of a minivan to me, like the luggage area behind the seats. Not exactly "locked in the trunk".

zaq

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 5:42 pm
No mention of how the girls were connected to the driver...was one or both his dd? Hitchhikers? Kidnapped?

Happydance

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:03 pm
Lol imagine more like a station wagon or hatch back

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 6:03 am
MagentaYenta wrote:

Traffic Police officers stationed on the west-bound lane of route 375 noticed hand movements from the trunk through the back window.

When one of the officers signaled the driver to stop, he was shocked to find two girls sitting there.
MagentaYenta, I dont think it is a trunk like you are thinking. If the police officer was able to see hand movements through the back window, it wasnt a trunk like you are thinking. Possibly a stationwagon or something like that.

juggling

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 7:47 am
Right. I first saw the headline and thought it was a kidnapping or smuggling-type incident. But a careful reading of the story made it clear (to me) that the guy was probably authorized to be transporting the girls, the only problem was that they were seated illegally. He had installed unauthorized seatbelts in the baggage compartment behind the seats to create more seating in his car. Illegal, possibly unsafe, but not really newsworthy.

zaq

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:20 am
Look at the photo in the article. It's a hatchback or minivan. Mistameh he had seatbelts installed back there to be able to transport a growing family or car pool. Some people put two kids in one seatbelt, which is neither legal nor safe. This was a creative idea but also neither legal nor safe. As juggling said, not really newsworthy except as a PSA not to do this.

water_bear88

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 9:25 am
Just saying, some people still have their heads stuck in the 90s (or earlier) when it may have been legal to do this and was certainly common. I have fond memories of riding in the back of a station wagon back when they still had seats back there. As others said, ticket-worthy but not really newsworthy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics