Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I spent $650 in the grocery today!
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 6:50 pm
And it's making me feel so nervous and unsettled.

crust

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 6:54 pm
Take everything back!
Ahhh relaxed.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 6:55 pm
crust wrote:
Take everything back!
Ahhh relaxed.

Lol. Most of its cooked already!

crust

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 6:58 pm
amother wrote:
Lol. Most of its cooked already!

Lol good for you!! I'm up to my third order today!!!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 6:59 pm
crust wrote:
Lol good for you!! I'm up to my third order today!!!

How much did you spend?

If I hear that people spend the same as me, I'll stop being nervous.

crust

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
How much did you spend?

If I hear that people spend the same as me, I'll stop being nervous.

I spend as much as it takes to feed a big family for a 2 day yom tov plus Erev plus isri plus Shabbos.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LittleDucky

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:30 pm
Instead of being nervous about how much you spent, since you can't do anything about it, use this anxiety to fuel growth in the future.
How many people?
How much do you spend on a normal Shabbos? Use that as a baseline.
How much can you afford?
What were extras?
How can you avoid not spending so much in the future? Where can you cut back in the future?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 7:41 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Instead of being nervous about how much you spent, since you can't do anything about it, use this anxiety to fuel growth in the future.
How many people?
How much do you spend on a normal Shabbos? Use that as a baseline.
How much can you afford?
What were extras?
How can you avoid not spending so much in the future? Where can you cut back in the future?

Well the reason why I probably feel anxious is because I know I will do it in the future. I always do this. Spend a lot, feel anxious, and then do it again.

How I can cut back?

Lots of ways. I didn't need to buy 4 roasts, or so many dips, or so many fancy desserts, or my sister a birthday cake...

tichellady

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
Well the reason why I probably feel anxious is because I know I will do it in the future. I always do this. Spend a lot, feel anxious, and then do it again.

How I can cut back?

Lots of ways. I didn't need to buy 4 roasts, or so many dips, or so many fancy desserts, or my sister a birthday cake...

Can you afford it?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:14 pm
tichellady wrote:
Can you afford it?

I guess so. How do you define afford?

tichellady

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:20 pm
amother wrote:

Good question. But I would say that if you can afford it, let it go. You could do therapy to work on buying less, but that might not actually cost any less $ in the end. So maybe this is your therapy.

anonymom

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:23 pm
I'm sure I spent that much on this YT

Coffee Addict

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:28 pm
Op, I always spend to much on grocery and than I regret it!!

I spend a ton this yontf. Extremely embarrassed to say how much.

But, than again, I love cooking and baking for yontf. I call it my adrenaline!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:34 pm
I spent plenty, and I am going out for 2 meals!! But didn't buy anyone birthday cake, I spent money on other things I guess...like frozen broccoli and strawberries, fruits and veges, cheese rugelach on sale 2x that are all gone, brisket, spear ribs, etc...
If I can spend $100 on a silly carnival, forsure I can spend $600 on Yom tov with a lot of people, without going out for any meals. everything adds up!!!

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
I spent plenty, and I am going out for 2 meals!! But didn't buy anyone birthday cake, I spent money on other things I guess...like frozen broccoli and strawberries, fruits and veges, cheese rugelach on sale 2x that are all gone, brisket, spear ribs, etc...
If I can spend $100 on a silly carnival, forsure I can spend $600 on Yom tov with a lot of people, without going out for any meals. everything adds up!!!

I bought 3 boxes of strawberries at $6 a box. Frozen broccoli too.

But anyway,

Yay! You all made me feel better!

amother
Amber

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:47 pm
If you can afford it without issue, to make yourself feel better, I'd say calculate the cost per meal per person & maybe won't seem like that much. For example if you get 4 meals out of it for 6 people each - that means you're getting 24 meals for 650, so that is like $27/meal. Also if you have leftovers & it's used for an extra meal or two, that makes cost per meal that much less. Then compare that to the amount people spend on a catered meal & might not seem like too much! In any case, enjoy & have a chag sameach! It's praiseworthy to make your Yom Tov beautiful on physical end too!

LittleDucky

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:

Are you missing any necessities because of it? Anyone going without basics? Will you be in the black at the end of the month? Do you have a cushion for emergencies? Any savings?

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:02 pm
LittleDucky wrote:
Are you missing any necessities because of it? Anyone going without basics? Will you be in the black at the end of the month? Do you have a cushion for emergencies? Any savings?

Ok. So bh we have all necessities and lots of luxuries. And we pay our cc in full every month. And we have about $100,000+ in savings, and lately we've been saving between $1,000-3,000 a month. So I guess we are okay.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:44 pm
OP, are you throwing food out?
If you can easily afford it, and you have the army to cook for, enjoy. If you think it's too much, so in the future dial it back a little and see if you have enough food.
But if you're overcooking and throwing a lot out, then there's something else going on besides extravagance.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
OP, are you throwing food out?
If you can easily afford it, and you have the army to cook for, enjoy. If you think it's too much, so in the future dial it back a little and see if you have enough food.
But if you're overcooking and throwing a lot out, then there's something else going on besides extravagance.

We do throw some food out, it's impossible to calculate exactly. But in general mostly everything gets eaten, unless nobody liked it. I hate waste, so we will eat the leftovers for a few days after yom tov which is how we avoid waste. The reason why I buy a lot of variety is because my husband doesn't like it when we repeat foods, so that's why I'll buy 4 roasts, one for each meal. And make 4 types of chicken, etc....
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics