Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I spent $650 in the grocery today!
Previous  1  2  3  4

crust

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:
pesach was probably more like $1500+ including matzah.

$1500 including Matzos? where on earth is that still possible?
It's at least $500 For matzos only!!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, doing only one very light dairy meal when it's just us. All my guests wanted meat so doing three meat meals.

So why did you buy 4 roasts and 4 chicken dishes if youre only doin 3 meat meals? Are you making lists of what you actually need?

watergirl

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:09 pm
crust wrote:

Thats a lot of assumptions. My matza is &13/lb. Why assume she buys the same matza that you buy? Not everyone even buys shmura at all. Many families spend $20 on matza.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:10 pm
I'm not OP - but we are 15 people minimum for each of the 3 meat meals
I made chicken and meat for every meal. A roast wasn't always enough for 15 people. Plus I have one appetizer with ground beef. Its not so crazy to need lots of meat and chicken for lots of guests.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:13 pm
crust wrote:

We bought three boxes of matzah. $50 a box= $150. It lasted us all pesach. We all ate as much as we wanted. There only five of us including one baby.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
We bought three boxes of matzah. $50 a box= $150. It lasted us all pesach. We all ate as much as we wanted. There only five of us including one baby.

$50 for a box of matzo?? What kind of matzo is this, and where do you live?

We paid under $20 a box for schmerer matzo. I didn't even think spelt matzo was that expensive!

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 3:30 pm
crust wrote:

First off, she said that she only "stayed home for one Seder and three meals over the whole pesach." So it was $1500 for 4 meals, plus snacks and (I presume) breakfast. Which is a shocking amount to me.

And where is it possible? Certainly in my 'hood. We were home for all but 2 meals, and one of the meals that we were out for was potluck, and we brought a roast, so I'm not calling it a big savings. I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't really even shop for bargains. But I'm relatively sure I spent less than $1500 on food for a single week.

I don't begrudge you $500 for matzo and a couple of thousand dollars for food for a single week, if you can afford it, and it makes you happy. But I think you need to realize that most of the world doesn't have that kind of money.

pause

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 4:28 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

We paid under $20 a box for schmerer matzo. I didn't even think spelt matzo was that expensive!
I'm thinking oat matzos or some other special type..

cnc

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 4:33 pm
SixOfWands wrote:

By us the boxes are 2 lbs so it definitely makes sense for Shemurah Matzah to be $50 + a box.

pause

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 4:36 pm
cnc wrote:
By us the boxes are 2 lbs so it definitely makes sense for Shemurah Matzah to be $50 + a box.

yeah, that also makes sense. It's about $22-$26/lb.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:53 am
And here I was feeling guilty and shocked that ingredients for the big lasagna I made cost $27. (I made plenty of other things; I was just amazed that something as simple as lasagna could cost that much.)

In general, food is expensive. Not as much as mortgage and tuition, but quite a bit. If you need or want to cut back, it's easy enough to do if you're starting out from a high figure. But if you can afford it, I don't think that spending a lot of money on food for Yom Tov is worse than spending it on clothing or vacations.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics