Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you think Rose is a Jewish name?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:35 pm
Does the name Rose sound Jewish to you?
Can you say what circles you are from (chassidish, modern orthodox, yeshivish etc) when you answer?
My husband likes the name but I'm not sure it sounds Jewish enough to my liking. We are in yeshivish circles, where it's definitely not a common name. But we're not so the type to care much what other people think/do- we tend to do our own thing. I do really want the name to sound Jewish, so I'm wondering if Rose sounds Jewish to you.
(The person we'd be naming after was called rose but her Hebrew name was Shoshana. My husband wants to give that exact combo- Hebrew name Shoshana, but birth certificate and calling her Rose.)

tigerwife

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:40 pm
I know quite a few frum Rosies. It comes from Rosa, which is yiddish. I don't see Rose being that far off.

sequoia

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 9:59 pm
Roza is definitely Jewish, and it's the same name, so yeah I think so.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:11 pm
I know a little girl called Rosie. Heimish circles. Her name is roiza.

cnc

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:12 pm
I know a Rosie- heimish

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:13 pm
cnc wrote:
I know a Rosie- heimish

Wonder if it's the same one? 😀

sequoia

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:15 pm
In fact, in Russian jokes, Roza Moiseevna is the typical Odessa woman with furs and chandeliers and a shlemazl husband LOL

Raw

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:15 pm
It doesn't sound Jewish to me in the same way as Raizel or Shoshana but it's a beautiful name and definitely not unheard of in frum circles.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:27 pm
Rose is an English name. Honestly, you will find a lot of old women with the English name Rose as it is not a common name that is given these days. My great grandmother was Rose and her friends called her Rosalie. Her Hebrew name was Shoshana which is the name that is used when naming after her.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:28 pm
In chasidish circles, רויזא is very common, usually spelled Roizy in English.
I know one that was called Rose for her English nickname in school.

Carmen Luna

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:34 pm
Roizy is a very common name in Chassidish circles but it's considered quite a yonchy name.

cbg

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:36 pm
I know a Shoshana Rosa, yeshivish background, we call her by her full name.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:36 pm
Yes, Rose sounds like a Jewish name to me.

But it's an old Jewish lady's name....like from the 1900s... but yes, very Jewish.

I consider myself JPF.

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, Rose sounds like a Jewish name to me.

But it's an old Jewish lady's name....like from the 1900s... but yes, very Jewish.

I consider myself JPF.

Well yes, we'd be naming her after an old Jewish lady from the 1900s Very Happy

yksraya

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 10:53 pm
Rose is the english equivelent to shoshona and to chassidish roiza (roiz- yiddish).

SixOfWands

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 11:00 pm
Yes. Rose is a Jewish name.

And no, its not uncommon or old fashioned. Its about 150th in popularity in he US right now, but even more popular as a middle name. River Rose (Kelly Clarkson), Alice Rose (Ronnie Wood), Dusty Rose (Adam Levine), Lula Rose (Liv Tyler), Rose Elizabeth (Kris Allen). Jennifer Garner has a daughter named Seraphina Rose.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 11:03 pm
Carmen Luna wrote:
Roizy is a very common name in Chassidish circles but it's considered quite a yonchy name.

Rolling Eyes
Considered?
By the standards of your personal opinion?

cm

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 11:32 pm
In non-religious Jewish circles, Rose has been super-popular as a middle name for some time, often after a grandmother.

In more-religious circles, you are more likely to hear Raizy, Rosie, Shoshana, and variations.

Among English names in general, Rose doesn't sound specifically Jewish, as the names Rose and Rosa are popular in a variety of ethnic groups. But in an Ashkenzai Jewish context, it sounds Jewish enough, as so many Jewish grandmothers and great-grandmothers were named Rose (or Raizel), and old-fashioned names tend to make a full circle with the custom of naming after departed relatives.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, May 29 2017, 11:43 pm
My English name is Rose. My name that I go by is a more "jewish" variation. I'm not the only one in yeshivish circles. I've met quite a few like this.

DrMom

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:22 am
I think it's a secular name that was common among Jews in certain geographical areas in certain generations.

But I wouldn't call it a "Jewish" name.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names