Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Give guests wifi password?
1  2  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:20 am
When you have guests your hosting staying with you that you don't know any they ask for your internet password, do you share it with them?

Do you think it's rude that they ask/expect it?

Seas

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:22 am
Well if you share the code of the front door (or give them a key) why not the WiFi password?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:25 am
No. I think it's rude not to give it. It's rude to even think of not giving it.

seeker

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:26 am
I would share if they're coming from a different neighborhood or city. In this day and age it makes sense for them to need to check their email and maybe other things like local weather, maps, etc. and why should they use up their data if their hosts have wifi?

I would be less comfortable sharing with someone in my immediate neighborhood because you never know who will try to mooch off you.

cm

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:28 am
If you are concerned about internet security, see if your internet plan includes "guest" accounts.

sky

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:29 am
What are your concerns?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:33 am
cm wrote:
If you are concerned about internet security, see if your internet plan includes "guest" accounts.

If I'm worried about someone trying to hack into my internet accounts, I wouldn't want them staying in my house, period.

That said, in addition to guest accounts, you can also change the password after they leave.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:40 am
It's kind of part of hospitality today. Just like you'd give them beds and tissues and towels, you'd give them internet...

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 10:56 am
Since I use my wifi password in other places as well, I usually offer to type it in for guests on their phone/laptop/table and then choose not to save it, and give it back to them to use. They get their wifi, I get my privacy preserved. Nobody has ever seemed insulted or upset by this arrangement.

Learning

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:12 am
amother wrote:
Since I use my wifi password in other places as well, I usually offer to type it in for guests on their phone/laptop/table and then choose not to save it, and give it back to them to use. They get their wifi, I get my privacy preserved. Nobody has ever seemed insulted or upset by this arrangement.

I think you should change your internet password or open a guest account. In case they get logged off by mistake or want to add another devise. It is a crucial tool. Like haveing access to your house. Btw how can they invade your privacy by knowing you wifi account password if they don't live next to you? Can they read your private stuff?

Last edited by Learning on Tue, May 30 2017, 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

nachasmom

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:18 am
If you have wifi, why would you make them pay for data?

sky

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:30 am
If you share your password what data of yours can they access or what privacy do you lose?
They can't access the router unless they have that password.

I still don't understand the concern.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 11:36 am
As others have pointed out, If the op could explain why she trusts these people in her home at night, but is unsure about the wifi password, I'd love to hear it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:11 pm
I meant that the password for the wifi in my house is also used as the password for some of my online accounts (email, bank, etc.). Therefore, while I'm happy to let guests use my home wifi, I don't want them to have the actual password, which could be used to access other personal accounts of mine.

ValleyMom

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:23 pm
I have never been denied the wifi password at homes when I am visiting as a guest.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
I meant that the password for the wifi in my house is also used as the password for some of my online accounts (email, bank, etc.). Therefore, while I'm happy to let guests use my home wifi, I don't want them to have the actual password, which could be used to access other personal accounts of mine.

Why not just use a different wifi password. You're not supposed to use the same password for everything in any case.

Learning

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:31 pm
I think it's rude to ask to put the password yourself.

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 12:35 pm
I always had to ask. Nothing is a given.

Amarante

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:18 pm
You are being very careless to have the same password for wifi and financial stuff. I have different passwords fir each if my financial institutions and they are different from wifi. These are very complex and would be difficult to hack.

You should immediately change all your passwords so they are different anyway and certainly nit the same as your wifi or the same as each other. I

Mevater

Post Tue, May 30 2017, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
As others have pointed out, If the op could explain why she trusts these people in her home at night, but is unsure about the wifi password, I'd love to hear it.

My thoughts as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics