Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Alternatives to baby wipes on shabbas?
1  2  Next

anon

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 10:53 pm
My rav says that I shouldn't use wipes on shabbas/YT. He suggested using the shabbas spray, but my baby is allergic to it...his tush turns BRIGHT red from it.

I tried spritzing him with water and then wiping with tissues but it doesn't clean well and the tissues don't wipe smoothly over the skin.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what to use?

TIA

Tehilla

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 10:57 pm
baby oil and tissues, with a towel underneath.

avimom

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:13 pm
We had the same problem- tried the tissues with water, and it was very rough. Then we tried a water spritz bottle with cotton balls, but it made a huge mess and he still smelled. So, we went back to the spray and try to use a minimal amount. Then, right after shabbos, we put on Balmex and th redness goes away. Y"T is a problem, but we try to go to my parents and inlaws then anyway, and someone there usually will take over the changing because they know what a pain it is for us. (We're the only ones who don't use wipes.) Also, someone told me they put some liquid baby soap in the water spritz bottle and that worked better. Good luck!

Bzgirl

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:28 pm
My friend told me that on shabbos, she was told to only use the Sleek Sensation wipes, they are barely even damp, so it's not a problem to use. Try them first on weekdays, and see for yourself www.Sleeksensation.com

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:34 pm
y"t you can just stick the baby's tushie under running warm water, that should do fine. shabbos I don't know.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:35 pm
Sleek Sensations has a 'shabbos hechsher'.

My son also got VERY RED from the baby shpritz.

anon

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:39 pm
Where can I buy sleek sensations? Do I have to buy it online?

And does it have an official shabbas hechsher or is it just "the word around town"?

Bzgirl

Post Tue, Sep 25 2007, 11:55 pm
I don't know about the hechsher, but you can get it here (boro park) in all the local pharmacies

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 12:35 am
it was advertised in Der Yid with a reliable shabbos hechsher. you can buy it at your local grocery or pharmacy if you live in Brooklyn.

anon

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 12:39 am
Thanks so much. I don't live in brklyn but I'll check out the stores by me.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 3:59 am
I put water mixed with liquid soap in a spray bottle.

My sil just gave me a great idea - instead of wiping with tissues - take some wipes out of the package and let them dry out - then you can use them on Shabbos and they're much stronger and softer than tissues!

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 4:14 am
I use a spray bottle with 2 c water, 1/2 c baby oil, 1/2 c baby soap, and use cloth wipes. Its really great!

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 9:11 am
My Doctor recommended CETAPHIL ( I think thats how you spell it) you put on tush and then wipe off with tissue.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 26 2007, 9:51 am
As far as wiping is concerned, we dry out wipes before shabbos; they are more substantial than tissues. You have to get a good quality kind though, or they turn stiff.

avimom

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 9:14 pm
we tried cetaphil- it made a HUGE mess!!

amother

Post Sat, Sep 29 2007, 10:09 pm
Am I the only one in the world whose Rav said it was okay to use baby wipes on Shabbos?

Anonymous because I'm sure I"m going to have my head bashed in...

Bzgirl

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 12:27 am
Bzgirl wrote:
I don't know about the hechsher, but you can get it here (boro park) in all the local pharmacies

I checked the Hechsher in the Hamodia, it's approved by Rabbi Roth, Karlsburg. (hope that helps)

amother

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 1:14 am
We use regular baby wipes too. You are not the only one.

amother

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 2:38 am
hmmm...this is one of those cases where it seems that so many people think its assur that I might as well stop using them so people don't think I'm doing an aveira...even though my rav said it was okay...

suomynona

Post Sun, Sep 30 2007, 2:50 am
amother wrote:
Am I the only one in the world whose Rav said it was okay to use baby wipes on Shabbos?

Anonymous because I'm sure I"m going to have my head bashed in...

Quote:
hmmm...this is one of those cases where it seems that so many people think its assur that I might as well stop using them so people don't think I'm doing an aveira...even though my rav said it was okay...

No one said anything. Of course you should follow your rav. Chill out.

I don't understand the drying out wipes before shabbos. Do you use that together with any other spray, or that is enough to clean a dirty diaper? I can't imagine that it's much better than using plain tissues without any liquid?

It's interesting that people are saying their babies were more sensitive to the shabbos spray than wipes, because we used shabbos spray a few times when my son was too sensitive to wipes (like the first 2 weeks of his life). Until now we always used shabbos spray, but the spray cap jams even when the bottle is still 1/2 full and then we can't use it anymore. I tried buying a spray bottle and mixing soap with water, but the consistency is too liquidy and it's too messy. Maybe I'll try one of the concoctions mentioned here. But then will it be too thick to come out of a spray bottle with small holes?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics