Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Front loader
1  2  Next

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 12:26 am
We need to buy a new washer. Looking for suggestions and tips. Thank you!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:23 am
Bump

sky

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:32 am
Look into features. These were importatnt to me. I'm assumeing there are newer ones - I spoke to a sales person at Town Appliance who really helped me figure out what I wanted.

- Fan Fresh - it blows on the clothing after running a cycle until you open the door so that the clothing doesn't smell musty
- soak - Allows the clothing to soak for up to 1 hour before starting the cycle

I have the whirlpool duet and I am very happy. Was only not happy about the price Plus was told they last about 10 years and I should really get a service plan because repairs are very expensive. (I was told this by my repair man)

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:43 am
Thank you sky! I have the whirlpool duet now and I don't think I have it a full ten years. Repairman told us it would cost $800 to fix. He suggested we just get a new machine.
Interesting features you mentioned.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:49 am
Mine has the ability to set ti to go on in a few hours - this is great, I load the washing machine at night before bed, but set it to run just before we get up in the morning, so the clothes don't sit wet in the machine overnight and I can stick them straight in the dryer before. Or I load it in the morning, and then set it to run just before I get home from work. I find this makes a huge difference!

Mine also has a special 'eco' setting (which takes longer but uses less water and electricity), and a special speed setting (to do a load faster, but uses more water and more electricity). This is nice, but not essential.

Simple1

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 9:53 am
You also need to consider how long it takes to do a load. I was told these days the cheaper machines can take long, an hour I think. This wasn't the case years ago.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:01 am
Simple1 wrote:
You also need to consider how long it takes to do a load. I was told these days the cheaper machines can take long, an hour I think. This wasn't the case years ago.

An hour is called long? Smile

A quick cotton for me is 1 hour 15, full cotton is almost three hours!
I don't think it really has to do with cheaper - it's do do with all the new regulations to make them more environmentally friendly. Not sure why, but somehow that translates into longer washes (and which clean less well).

The difference is that on an expensive machine, even the 30 minute quick wash setting can do a good job whereas on a cheaper one then it won't do much aside freshen up the clothes.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:22 am
Thank you to all who responded. Please keep tips coming. If you are happy with your machine, please provide the make and model.

sky

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:30 am
Simple1 wrote:

My loads take anywhere from 45 minutes - 3 hours. Towels are minimum 1 1/2 hours. Dirty whites take forever.

L K

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:45 am
I have whirlpool front loader (not duet), here is the link:
http://www.townappliance.com/l......html

It washes and spins very well, clothes come out clean and rung out well.

Super important is capacity!!
My new machines save me probably half time of laundry because I can load so much into the washer and dryer. What took me two loads is now one, so laundry actually does get done sometimes lol.

The good features are
soaking (30min/1hr/8hrs),
quick wash used for small loads
extra rinse (can be used with drain &spin cycle for a quick rinsing without washing), or if you feel there's still detergent left in your clothes.

Super feature is detergent dispense as you go or whatever it's called. I thought it was just a fancy useless idea but it's so good. You load detergent once in a while (week or a few weeks depending on how much you wash) and machine takes it as needed. That's convenient and saves time.

I was recommended to buy extended warranty - additional 5 years after the 1 yr given by manufacturer. The retailer and repairmen say they don't make them as good as they used to, and they're expected to break sooner or later. After doing my research though it looks like all modern machines tend to break down, maybe except for speed queen (and even that may be digital and more prone to breaking these days), which was too small for my needs. Then it's a mater of parts and service availability, so whirlpool being a domestic company is more likely to be repaired for you, though waiting for repairs is annoying.

Super Mom

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 10:50 am
I love my half hour wash feature! Great for stuff you need quickly.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 11:06 am
I like the idea of all the features. However, since I BH have a large family and constantly
wash large loads, I don't often get to enjoy the features. I divide loads into towels, dark, light and shirts. Linens are separate as well. I tend to stick to cold and warm washes on normal cycles.
Are you using all the features on your machines?

Simple1

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 11:09 am
The basic machine I have now is not new. The loads take considerably less than an hour. I would have a hard time with long wash cycles - for times I have to get a lot of loads done (ex before a long Yom tov), or need something fast. Maybe I'm just not so organized.

I heard that the more expensive machines are quicker.

working hard

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 11:10 am
I have a GE front loader that I love. While I do not use all the features, I got the more expensive machine for its size. 1 load in this machine is the same amount of laundry as 4 loads in my old machine!!

amother
Lemon

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 1:35 pm
LG and I love it!
I got a "laundry lasso" off of amazon to keep the door wide open but not completely open - so I can pass to the other side of the narrow longish laundry room and it stays fresh.
One big issue with all front loader is that they have a sealing gasket to keep the water in, therefore you need to keep it really open (more than what the magnet feature on the door allows) to keep it fresh. Or else it get a terrible terrible smell. Btdt. It was a whole nuther thing getting rid of the smell and mold.

I have delay wash. Love it
I can do "extra rinse" up to 3 extra rinses
There is a permanent press cycle, cottons cycle, bright white cycle, towels, bulk items, extra heavy duty....
The machine calculates what speed, water temperature and all that.
But I can still choose to change it according to my preference.
There is also an option of soil level, for how dirty the clothes are.
And prewash.

I pretty much use all features.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 2:05 pm
I never heard of a laundry lasso before. I'm going to check it out.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jun 02 2017, 4:46 pm
L K wrote:
http://www.townappliance.com/l......html

My new machines save me probably half time of laundry because I can load so much into the washer and dryer. What took me two loads is now one, so laundry actually does get done sometimes lol.

The good features are
extra rinse (can be used with drain &spin cycle for a quick rinsing without washing), or if you feel there's still detergent left in your clothes.

Super feature is detergent dispense as you go or whatever it's called. I thought it was just a fancy useless idea but it's so good. You load detergent once in a while (week or a few weeks depending on how much you wash) and machine takes it as needed. That's convenient and saves time.

I was recommended to buy extended warranty - additional 5 years after the 1 yr given by manufacturer. The retailer and repairmen say they don't make them as good as they used to, and they're expected to break sooner or later. After doing my research though it looks like all modern machines tend to break down, maybe except for speed queen (and even that may be digital and more prone to breaking these days), which was too small for my needs. Then it's a mater of parts and service availability, so whirlpool being a domestic company is more likely to be repaired for you, though waiting for repairs is annoying.

From your description it sounds like my machine . I love the load and go feature where you only put in detergent once in a few weeks! it also has fan fresh and delay wash and presoak options. the store told me to buy a warranty but with the price these things cost and then they break just right after the warranty runs off, I went without.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 1:40 pm
So Towne recommended the Whirpool WFW92 which is the one I think described above and AJ Madison recommended the Electrolux LF617. I'm not sure which way to go.
Does anyone have this Electrolux model?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:05 pm
I don't have that model but I had a different Electrolux that I loved until it got submerged in water in last summer's flooding in my basement....
I know people with Whirlpools who have always had to rely on their warranties (or extended ones)...BA"H we didn't.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 8:05 pm
Quote:
http://www.townappliance.com/l.....23650.html

The good features are

I have the same one and love it
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry