Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I'm sick and tired of my body
1  2  Next

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 10:26 pm
I have PCOS. Was thin all my life till early 20's. Now I'm in my late 30's 5 2" and weighing 202 lbs.
Sick of this

I tried My Fitness Pal
Tried Tanya's diet
Tried Weight Watchers

All yielded some results but then I plateued terribly and eventually it all came back

Right now I'm pigging out eating wise because I gave up. If I knew something would work, I could stick to it so long as it was not something extremely crazy.
And no, OA is not my speed....

Any chizuk and practical advice?

crust

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 10:32 pm

Last edited by crust on Sat, Jun 03 2017, 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
I have PCOS. Was thin all my life till early 20's. Now I'm in my late 30's 5 2" and weighing 202 lbs.
Sick of this

I tried My Fitness Pal
Tried Tanya's diet
Tried Weight Watchers

All yielded some results but then I plateued terribly and eventually it all came back

Right now I'm pigging out eating wise because I gave up. If I knew something would work, I could stick to it so long as it was not something extremely crazy.
And no, OA is not my speed....

Any chizuk and practical advice?

Diets don't work.

There's a facebook group called Intuitive Eating for Jewish Women or something like that.. Intuitive Eating is about eating well and not focusing on weight/body image.

If you have PCOS and are in your late 30s, it will be hard to lose weight permanently...so stop focusing on that.

I'm in my mid-30s and about your height/weight. I hate it but I don't look that bad and I'm sure you don't either.

I know this is prob not what you want to hear but seriously... you've been there, done that... you already know that diets don't work. Time to start accepting yourself and your lot in life.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 10:39 pm
Check out Martha McKittrick. I found her pcos program the best. It's not a diet. -well I guess in the beginning it is to lose weight-- but really It's a way of life. (And it's not OA)

crust

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 10:48 pm
amother wrote:
Diets don't work.

There's a facebook group called or something like that.. Intuitive Eating is about eating well and not focusing on weight/body image.

If you have PCOS and are in your late 30s, it will be hard to lose weight permanently...so stop focusing on that.

I'm in my mid-30s and about your height/weight. I hate it but I don't look that bad and I'm sure you don't either.

I know this is prob not what you want to hear but seriously... you've been there, done that... you already know that diets don't work. Time to start accepting yourself and your lot in life.

I didn't know there was a name for it but Intuitive eating would probably be the name for what I'm doing.
I really don't think I look that bad at all. And yes, acceptance for the way things are is imperative. I'm not dreaming about going back to that sweet size 4... I think that at this stage the mature way is to just want to be healthy.
is the facebook groups name; Intuitive Eating for Jewish Women? Can anyone get access?
Thanks.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 10:49 pm
crust wrote:
I didn't know there was a name for it but Intuitive eating would probably be the name for what I'm doing.
I really don't think I look that bad at all. And yes, acceptance for the way things are is imperative. I'm not dreaming about going back to that sweet size 4... I think that at this stage the mature way is to just want to be healthy.
is the facebook groups name; Intuitive Eating for Jewish Women? Can anyone get access?
Thanks.
\

Yes, I just looked it up. That's the name of the group. you need to join but I'm pretty sure anyone can.

Good luck!

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 10:57 pm
You've tried moderation and calorie counting, and they haven't worked. You also have hormonal imbalances. So, I'm going to recommend the Whole30.

Basically the idea is that you eat real, nutrient-dense, non-inflammatory food to satiation. The program cuts out most foods that trigger overeating, and if you have other triggers, cut those out too. Typing on my phone so can't go into more - but read the book It Starts With Food, it explains everything.

crust

Post Sat, Jun 03 2017, 11:10 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I just looked it up. That's the name of the group. you need to join but I'm pretty sure anyone can.
Good luck!

Thanks. I found it!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 3:51 am
I don't have PCOS but I do have insulin resistance, which I know is a common PCOS symptom. It does mess around with your weight. Basically, you need to be more strict about carbs than most people. You may need medication (I take metformin). And you have to accept that your "set point" will probably be higher than what the charts say it should be. As long as you're healthy, the number on the scale doesn't matter that much.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 4:01 am
I agree that metformin might be helpful. Ask you primary doctor or gynecologist to refer you to someone who can evaluate you and prescribe it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 4:48 am
Would you get thenough gastric sleeve? So many people have had amazing results and they can still eat foods they enjoy. Why not go to seminar about it?

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:02 am
I woke up to a whole bunch of really kind replies. Ty.

I reached out to Martha McKittrick as one of you suggested

So intuitive eating is something I may try one day but right now I still am pretty focused on my weight and need something that does help me get the numbers down

I got married at 114 a number I had been all my life. I know for some I don't look too bad but for me it's messing with me and with my marriage. I need to lose 70 lbs long term & 40 short term

Keep your ideas coming

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:03 am
Oh and I've taken Metformin but right now my docs don't want me on it because my levels are too good

The sleeve is something I have considered but my husband is really against it

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:26 am
Marthas plan really worked for me - had a natural pregnancy for the first time....
she doesn't keep you coming back like other plans - you can schedule follow ups if you wish and even do them over the phone. It's seriously more a new way of eating that really works for pcos. (I was not hungry and ate pretty normally)

mddm

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:52 am
amother wrote:
Oh and I've taken Metformin but right now my docs don't want me on it because my levels are too good

The sleeve is something I have considered but my husband is really against it

What kind of excersize do you do? Have you had a personal trainer?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 4:17 pm
Ketogenic way of eating. It's not a diet because you don't stop once you've reached your goal weight. You lower your carb intake to 20-30 grams per day. The weight falls off and - after the first 2 weeks - the carb cravings are gone. Lost 50 lbs that way and am a size 4-6. No exercise needed, but it doesn't hurt obv. Also great health wise for pcos and prediabetes etc- any condition affected by sugar.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:20 pm
I feel for you. ...not easy when it's so hard to lose. Slightly off topic, but I'm really wondering op, what didn't work about Tanya's Diet?

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:27 pm
amother wrote:
Ketogenic way of eating. It's not a diet because you don't stop once you've reached your goal weight. You lower your carb intake to 20-30 grams per day. The weight falls off and - after the first 2 weeks - the carb cravings are gone. Lost 50 lbs that way and am a size 4-6. No exercise needed, but it doesn't hurt obv. Also great health wise for pcos and prediabetes etc- any condition affected by sugar.

I'm the one who suggested Whole30. After trial and error this is basically what I do, although I also follow the Whole30 rules so no dairy (which many keto people do eat). Besides for grains, alcohol, dairy, legumes, sugar and sweeteners - which the Whole30 doesn't allow - I also don't eat any fruits, nuts, potatoes or other starchy veg.

It sounds hard, I know, but the cravings truly do go away when you get your body out of the constant cycle of sugar highs and lows and start to just burn fat for energy. This is much easier for me than trying to eat in moderation or count calories would be.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 6:10 pm
I have pcos and understand how hard it is to lose weight as I've been skinny all my life and was struggling losing weight after my births. I have found that with pcos you need to make sure to eat much more protein than carbs besides for counting calories. But, also you must do at least 60 min of exercise a day.

I know some ppl may disagree with what I'm saying but I'm just telling you from my experience. Pcos bodies dont lose weight the same as others because of the hormonal imbalance....so I have found high protein, low carb, calorie counting diet together with daily exercise to work.did you do daily exercise program together with dieting?
Good luck

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 6:43 pm
I have PCOS and I've done all the things mentioned, plus taken metformin, Martha McKittrick's plan, gone gluten, sugar, and dairy free (lower-inflammation foods.) None worked long-term.

I'm 30 years old, 5'3", and weight 195lbs.

Do you have any other health issues?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise