Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Life changing books of the year

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 2:30 am
I wanted to share the books that I have read this year that have made a really big difference in my life. Some of these books were recommended by woman on this site.

Harriet Lerner's books (Dance of anger, Dance of intimacy) Helped me learn to speak my mind and speak my truth.

Attachment Focused Parenting- I had never realized the importance of delighting in your child and laughing with them. Maybe bec I am overwhelmed in many ways and it wasn't coming naturally to me that I found this so life changing.

Good Mother Bad Mother- learned that there really is no such thing. And how important it is to reach out to family and friends when raising children, that it was never meant to be able to do it alone.

The difficult child-so validating

The explosive child-learned a new way to parent my child in a way that works for both of us

If anyone would like to add to this thread, be my guest 😊

Aylat

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 2:54 am
Thank you! I love the concept of this thread! I will look out for these books.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 4:50 am
forgotten memories - moving personal accounts from Rabbis who survived the Holocaust by esther farbstein

makes me grateful for every peaceful day I live without hunger, fear, persecution, horror...

makes me also honor all the martyrs of the holocaust even more and remember their souls

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 5:29 am
ANYTHING by Rabbi Lazar Brody or Rabbi Shalom Arush. I can't get enough of it. I'm constantly re-reading these and getting more from them; it's like a never ending fountain of wisdom and emuna.

"Parenting with Love and Logic", both books, for little kids, and the one for teens.

"Will I Ever Be Good Enough?", daughters of NPD mothers.

The website "Womb of Light". Nurturing and parenting your inner mother. One step beyond parenting your inner child. LIFE CHANGING!

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 11:40 am
Emunah with Love and Chicken Soup by Sara Yoheved Rigler, about Mrs. Henny Machlis.

It has impacted my approach to Tehillim and tefilla. In bain odom lachaveiro ways, too.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 11:59 am
first kill all the marriage counselors

smss

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
Emunah with Love and Chicken Soup by Sara Yoheved Rigler, about Mrs. Henny Machlis.

It has impacted my approach to Tehillim and tefilla. In bain odom lachaveiro ways.

Definitely this one! Amazing amazing book.

Brene Brown - I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't)

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 7:33 pm
amother wrote:

It has impacted my approach to Tehillim and tefilla. In bain odom lachaveiro ways.

I clicked on this thread so I could post this title. Was really inspired.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:41 am
Rebbetzin Jungreis books changed my life by validating many of my ideas and giving them depth.
Holy woman saved my life by teaching me to be grateful even with "only" one child at the time.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 1:07 pm
Miracles of Creation by Rabbi Dovid Brown (the most fascinating book about our own world and existence)

In the Shadow of the Ladder by Mark and Yedidia Cohen (read only if you want to change your world upside down - it is a work on Kabbala from Rabbi Ashlag)

2020 Vision by Roy Neuberger (It's a great novel based on one interpretation of how the arrival of Moshiach might happen but can get you really anticipating and to make aliyah.)

Anything from the Ramchal like Derech Hashem

These books have opened up my eyes after 40 years of being asleep in this world. And I was always a big reader. None of the books are new but new for me. Each for different reasons. I keep reading the first two over and over and over again until I can incorporate them into my mind and understand them to the best of my ability.

amother
White

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:43 pm
amother wrote:

Changed my life for sure

imasoftov

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:04 pm
amother wrote:

And the bicycle riders

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:49 pm
some books that I have learned from this year- I've been doing a lot of reading Smile
"the joy diet" by Martha Beck, when I googled her I found that she's a little controversial, "alternative" lifestyle etc but I found the book helpful and pretty parve- I'm sensitive to cursing and the likE.

"The charge" by Brendon Burchard

the success principles by jack canfield

"No Matter What!: 9 Steps to Living the Life You Love"- Lisa Nichols- recommended on imamother

"Your Killer Emotions"

ILOVELIFE

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:52 pm
13 Things Mentally Strong People Don't do (Amy morin) the book and her TED talk really impacted me

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:12 am
Books by Dr. David Burns. Also his podcasts. He's a proponent of self-therapy.

Feelinggood.com

Thank you Chani8 who recommended this author years ago!

Abby2

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 3:55 am
The 2 books that have truly inspired me are
1) "out of the depths" by chief Rabbi Lau
2) "incredible!" By Nachum Seltzer. It is the life story of Rabbi Yossi Wallis. I haven't finished it yet but it is amazing and inspirational.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room