Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Bariatric Sleeve
1  2  Next

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 10:09 am
Hi. Im scheduled for surgery this Thursday. Im really excited but just started getting really nervous...
Can anyone who has done this please tell me everything positive it has done for you?
I tried looking for threads on this topic amd didnt see anything recent. . .

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 10:41 am
I personally know three people who did it.
My niece, and two of my next door neighbor. And dhs close workmate and also his boss. (Don't know them personally.)

From what they have told me and from what I understand, its a GREAT tool.
My neighbor did it before pesach, she looks amazing (well she looked good before too, but she obviously was not happy with her weight) and already lost lots of weight. She's young and her reasoning, which I thought too, is that why struggle all her young years and do it when she's older like her parents did? She did it now, and hopefully won't have to struggle with her weight issue at every single meal/snack/bored moment.

My niece has a extreme issue with emotional eating, (tricks it) so although she lost a lot of weight she is still morbidly obese. But she went from unsightly obese to being able to buy clothes in regular plus size shops. Which is a big accomplishment. And when she did it she was still an underaged teen....

Another neighbor did it and she also is very happy with the results.
I know of two more poeple who did it and afaik, are happy too!

It should be with lots of hatzlucha and an easy recovery.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 11:07 am
First of all, a great big hug to you and wishes for an easy procedure and speedy recovery! I am considering doing this, or something like this, as well. It would help me if you wouldn't mind sharing some details, such as your height and weight. I am 5 ft 1 in and 220 lbs. Thanks so much.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 11:52 am
Thanks Mustard for your detailed reply and your well wishes. My heart goes oht to ur neice who is so struggling with her weight.

Aquamarine I am same height as you and 228. I was successful on OA kept down 60lbs for 4yrs but as soon as I stopped being strict I gained all back plus 15 lbs. Im 38 and can no longer deal with my weight which I have been struggling since a child. I know this isn't a cure but TOOL to help me and will need diet, exercise, discipline and possibly seeing a therapist.
I feel like Hashem guided me to this and its my obligation to use the gifts of science to my advantage.
Good luck to you aquamarine, I know ur struggle.

Amarante

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 12:08 pm
https://www.bariatricpal.com/

I haven't had the surgery but this is an amazing forum with lots of people who have and I recommend that you go over there because they can answer all your questions both pre surgery and post surgery.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 12:26 pm
Amarante wrote:
https://www.bariatricpal.com/

I haven't had the surgery but this is an amazing forum with lots of people who have and I recommend that you go over there because they can answer all your questions both pre surgery and post surgery.

Thanks... This link is very informative.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 6:49 pm
Smartest move I've made!
I'm so happy for you!
Best of luck!

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 7:27 pm
I just did the sleeve a month ago, and so far I'm very happy. Bh I'm feeling great. It's amazing that I get full after eating so little food.

My doctor warner me that I may lose slower than many since I'm on the lower end of people who are approved. I was 5'2 and my highest weight right before surgery was 213. (I was about 200 when I decided to do it but the process takes a few months and I wasn't watching myself then) so far I lost 23 pounds and I hope to lose lots more.

I never used to use Facebook, but I joined a bunch of sleeve support groups on Facebook and found them so helpful. I can ask questions - and even seeing others questions and answers helps. There is a group called "kosher sleevers" for Jewish people. Also "bariatricEating101" was helpful and any others ones you find. Good luck!

nicole81

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 7:38 pm
I did the sleeve almost 3 years ago and am maintaining a 130 lb loss.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 8:14 pm
Not op but I have a question

I have been working on my weight from an emotional viewpoint andtherefore don't want to be on a specific diet.

Can this work with an emotional eating point of view; meaning working on eating when hungry and stopping when full, but not counting calories etc.?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 10:22 pm
I wish you all the best, OP and hope that this procedure will be successful! I would also be nervous as it is a real surgery ...
I don't know anything other than what I read and it seems that people are pleased with the results. I have been overweight for the last 15 yrs and I am wondering what the requirements are to have this procedure done. I am 25 lbs overweight and cannot loose it ..and of course I tried, I really did. I am very, very short so I don't look so good. If anyone knows if I would qualify to have this done I would look in to it further. Also, what is the cost? Does insurance cover?

doctorima

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 11:04 pm
Khaki - I'm B"H no expert, but I believe it's only used for people who are quite obese and their BMI is over a certain level. It's not a shortcut to lose those last 25 pounds, and not only would insurance not cover it, but I highly doubt that most reputable doctors would even be willing to do the procedure for you - sorry!

groisamomma

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 11:38 pm
nicole81 wrote:
I did the sleeve almost 3 years ago and am maintaining a 130 lb loss.

So happy to hear this! Gosh, it seems like yesterday that you (we) did it.

To the OP, iIt was the best decision I ever made. I maintained an almost-100 lb loss for 3 years, but now, 3.5 years out, if I don't watch what goes in, I put on weight. It's much, much easier to diet (I.e. portion control, satisfied after a few bites) but I gained a good 8 lbs because of laziness. The stubborn kind, the weight that won't leave on its own, only with diet and exercise. Sigh.

silly

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 12:06 am
I made the sleeve november '15 and im very happy! Lost about 95 pounds and look amazing

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:44 am
Every insurance is different, but my insurance covers surgery if you have a BMI of 40 or above. Or if you have a BMI of 35-40 with an added co morbidity. I was a little below 40 but I had sleep apnea, which qualified me.

I had approx 75 pounds to lose (25 down so far after a month). And I'm towards the lower end of people who did it. When I went to the weight loss seminar it was the first time I was the skinniest in the room!

If you only have 25 pounds to lose its not for you! (I'm also very short).

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:50 am
Im so happy for you all!!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:55 pm
Thanks so much to everyone that replied. . Its very encouraging during this pre op diet.... Thanks all for reinforcing the fact that there is an end in sight to this overweight battle.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 12:19 pm
I am interested in doing this surgery. I need to lose about 100 lbs. Can anyone recommend a good Dr. I live in Lakewood, but would travel if need be....

Mommy0302

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 1:01 pm
can someone please explain more about the pre surgery requirements (do you need to do a liquid diet for a few days?) and post surgery rules/recovery? thanks!

nicole81

Post Sun, Oct 22 2017, 4:58 pm
Mommy0302 wrote:
can someone please explain more about the pre surgery requirements (do you need to do a liquid diet for a few days?) and post surgery rules/recovery? thanks!

It varies by doctor. I didn't have any presurgery requirements except for clear liquids only the day before. As for after, you move from clear liquids to any liquids, to soft foods, and then finally regular food. Whether you're in the early stages or years out, you always have to eat your protein first and focus on getting lots of it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise