Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/o Yelling

amother
White

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 7:28 am
I'm not the OP of that thread, but it had me thinking. I've been trying to work on not yelling for some time, and I've definitely gotten better (I hope?).

Problem is, my kids do a lot of yelling at each other. Idk if they learned it from me, or it's typical. Their ages are 14 and down. Overall they get along pretty well bH.

The yelling is always silly things. Who sat in a particular spot on the couch first, whose turn is it to put away a game they just played with, even who came in the house last and needs to close the front door! Rolling Eyes

Then, even though I'm trying not to yell myself, I find myself screaming just to be heard over them.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions, or books to recommend?

gibberish

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 8:47 am
My kids are younger, but once my husband and I started implementing "How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk," my home was much calmer. It took several months to see results, but eventually I found that my kids picked up the way that I talk and talk the same way. They are more sympathetic to each other and the methods really work! (there were some parts of it that I didn't find useful, but you can use the sections that you can relate to). Of course though, it's a lot easier to change younger kids than teenagers.

amother
White

Post Sun, Jun 04 2017, 10:32 am
gibberish wrote:
My kids are younger, but once my husband and I started implementing "How to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk," my home was much calmer. It took several months to see results, but eventually I found that my kids picked up the way that I talk and talk the same way. They are more sympathetic to each other and the methods really work! (there were some parts of it that I didn't find useful, but you can use the sections that you can relate to). Of course though, it's a lot easier to change younger kids than teenagers.

Thanks, I've been following that book from the start. It's a really great book.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics