Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Life in Upper West Side UWS
Previous  1  2

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:14 pm
I moved about a year ago (within the neighborhood) and at the time I seriously considered the high 90's and low 100's because on average the apartments are less expensive a bit higher up. (I say on average because I ended up with an apartment in the 80's that didn't cost more than the ones I looked at further uptown.) Probably when you look you should see some apartments a bit up and down from the 80's. As anywhere, there are trade offs. Bear in mind that each area has a specific culture. I found the low 100's a bit more bohemian than I am (within frum strictures of course). But again, bear in mind that everything is walking distance so the difference between 90th and 103rd may not matter much.

As to the noise, it wasn't an issue. I have mostly lived in prewar buildings, which have solid walls and floors, but I am now living N a postwar building and I don 't recall a single incident. We do have rules though. If a DD was having a slumber party, say, or dance practice, she knows that after 10 pm we keep the music down and remember that there are other people living above, below and next door. But that's just apartment life. And good manners.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:23 pm
My IL's (a"h) lived on the uws. It was really hard for my kids to get used to keeping their feet quiet in the apartment, and all the city noises. Parking was painful and/or expensive.

I think you should make a pilot visit as a family, and stay for more than a week, before deciding. Ditto the suburbs in NJ you might want.

Moving is a big pain, and it's worth it to make as informed a decision as possible from the start.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:54 pm
Funny story(apropos what imasinger said). Dd woke up one night when we were visiting my parents out of town and was crying bc she couldn't sleep bc it was too quiet.

What I am trying to say is "different strokes for different folks."

As you've seen, OP, a lot of people love it here. And a lot don't. It sounds like you are very familiar with big city life; if it's something you like, you will love it here. But if you want a house with a backyard and no traffic, and no one living up or downstairs, this isn't for you.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:03 pm
I grew up on the UES, so I don't know the specifics of the UWS (though I had enough friends across the park that I've been to all the shuls and many of the parks). People do have lots of guests for Shabbos, but it's mostly for meals, as most people don't have space for sleepover guests. If you think you'll have out of town family visiting, you'll need to think about how to make that work. But you don't need a car, which is nice.

I loved growing up in the city. I live in the suburbs now and absolutely hate it. I don't understand why people think the city is not a good place to raise kids. I think it's a fantastic place to raise kids.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 9:53 pm
All this is making me miss the UWS. I was one of those singles y'all tried marrying off Smile

The community is great. Like others said, there is lots of overlap between the MO shuls and the RWMO/yeshivish shtiebels. You have families where the sons went to Yeshiva Ketana and the mom was into JOFA, or one parent went to Darkhei Noam and the other to OZ. (Side note- Mrs. Schwartz would love to hear from families looking to move in.) As an older single and a newlywed I knew many of those who married and stayed in the neighborhood and they were equally active and sociable as when they were single. Even with kids, people hosted and went out to Shabbat meals, shiurim, and activities. (All the stuff people in NJ don't do often because of our long commutes.) I'd go to the Met and other museums at least once a month, if not more often...

If not for the cost, I would move back.

From my recollection, 80's and 90's Broadway to Riverside would all be great (even up to 110), depending on which shuls you preferred. The old Mitchell Lamas and CPW buildings are great too, if you can afford them.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 9:55 pm
just want to make sure that the op plans to use the eiruv, We don't hold by it so that made it harder.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:13 pm
amother wrote:
All this is making me miss the UWS. I was one of those singles y'all tried marrying off Smile

The community is great. Like others said, there is lots of overlap between the MO shuls and the RWMO/yeshivish shtiebels. You have families where the sons went to Yeshiva Ketana and the mom was into JOFA, or one parent went to Darkhei Noam and the other to OZ. (Side note- Mrs. Schwartz would love to hear from families looking to move in.) As an older single and a newlywed I knew many of those who married and stayed in the neighborhood and they were equally active and sociable as when they were single. Even with kids, people hosted and went out to Shabbat meals, shiurim, and activities. (All the stuff people in NJ don't do often because of our long commutes.) I'd go to the Met and other museums at least once a month, if not more often...

If not for the cost, I would move back.

From my recollection, 80's and 90's Broadway to Riverside would all be great (even up to 110), depending on which shuls you preferred. The old Mitchell Lamas and CPW buildings are great too, if you can afford them.

NJ people go out to shiurim shabbos meals and activities, at least in my community! FTR, I miss the UWS too but I still feel that the suburbs is a better life for my kids.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 8:07 pm
amother wrote:
Funny story(apropos what imasinger said). Dd woke up one night when we were visiting my parents out of town and was crying bc she couldn't sleep bc it was too quiet.

What I am trying to say is "different strokes for different folks."

As you've seen, OP, a lot of people love it here. And a lot don't. It sounds like you are very familiar with big city life; if it's something you like, you will love it here. But if you want a house with a backyard and no traffic, and no one living up or downstairs, this isn't for you.

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful replies.

Well, we have the big back yard with a pool and no traffic. But honestly we are at a point in our lives right now that we are ready to give up our yard and the big house to have a bigger social life and one that is full of culture and excitement. We need noise Smile

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Jun 10 2017, 10:29 pm
I have to say, I love it here. It's not what I would have predicted. I grew up with woods behind my house and a lake 3 blocks away. But this is a special community and there are things available here that you won't get in most other places. If there is any more information you need let me know.

amother
Orchid

Post Sat, Jun 10 2017, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful replies.

Well, we have the big back yard with a pool and no traffic. But honestly we are at a point in our lives right now that we are ready to give up our yard and the big house to have a bigger social life and one that is full of culture and excitement. We need noise Smile

You can get all of that in many of the suburbs to New York. Just suggesting that you check out both.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating