Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is your most & least respected profession?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 4:05 pm
To the poster who connected it to shidduchim: I don't think parents respect the rich prospects necessarily, but they are blinded by the money because they want their children to be "taken care of."

There are exceptions to this rule of course.

Another point to consider is that not always is an outer display of kavod an actual inner feeling of respect or admiration. The old joke about the Rosh Hakahal comes to mind here.

simba

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 7:13 pm
I don't respect any proffesion more than another. There are all means to and end.
I respect the humans that toil in their profession be it for the reason of sustaining a family or for the holy cause of educating our children in the ways of the Torah.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:33 pm
CDC shall burn LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 2:53 am
If it weren't for the medications Big Pharma has made, I'd be dead many times over.

So I guess they are evil. NOW YOU'RE STUCK WITH ME! Mua ha ha ah. Twisted Evil

Seriously, every time I daven, every time I take a pill, I stop and thank Hashem for giving the doctors and the researchers the wisdom to invent my medicine, and to thank the volunteers of the clinical trials for taking them first, so I would know they were safe for me.

OP, daven for health. You'll need it some day.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 4:43 am
I am ambivalent regarding professional athletes, I do enjoy watching sports, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that these people spend their entire life on playing a game or perfecting jumping or swimming or skiing - it just seems so pointless to me. It's a paradox I know. I just can't seem to rationalize professional sports.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 4:51 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I am ambivalent regarding professional athletes, I do enjoy watching sports, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that these people spend their entire life on playing a game or perfecting jumping or swimming or skiing - it just seems so pointless to me. It's a paradox I know. I just can't seem to rationalize professional sports.

I kind of feel that way about actors. But then, people do really enjoy watching plays and movies and tv. So the same with sports. People seemingly and bafflingly enjoy watching people kick balls around or swim.

I think so many people do important jobs...where would we be without house builders, rubbish collectors, farmers, teachers, lawyers, drs, secretaries, scientists, business people...?

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 4:54 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If it weren't for the medications Big Pharma has made, I'd be dead many times over.

So I guess they are evil. NOW YOU'RE STUCK WITH ME! Mua ha ha ah. Twisted Evil

Seriously, every time I daven, every time I take a pill, I stop and thank Hashem for giving the doctors and the researchers the wisdom to invent my medicine, and to thank the volunteers of the clinical trials for taking them first, so I would know they were safe for me.

There is a tefilla for before taking medication or a treatment.
יהי רצון מלפנך ה' אלוקי, שיהי עשק זה לי לרפואה, כי רופה חינם אתה

chanchy123

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 4:57 am
Raisin wrote:
I kind of feel that way about actors. But then, people do really enjoy watching plays and movies and tv. So the same with sports. People seemingly and bafflingly enjoy watching people kick balls around or swim.

I think so many people do important jobs...where would we be without house builders, rubbish collectors, farmers, teachers, lawyers, drs, secretaries, scientists, business people...?

I agree I was going to post about actors - but I think I enjoy actors' products more than I enjoy sports, so I can respect them more for that - if that makes any sense. When I'm watching a show or a movie I sometimes count all the actors that made an appearance and I can't believe how many people's parnassa comes from saying a few words on TV.

Aylat

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 7:16 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

Salut Salut Salut Salut

ETA
Every so often I regret not having continued in chemistry. I wish I could be in pharmacological research that will contribute to saving lives or radically improving health.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 8:51 am
chanchy123 wrote:

Bread and circuses. B"H these are today's circuses (though I don't get boxing, and football gives me pause too).
And sports makes for great metaphors for the baalei machshava Very Happy
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics