Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Olive oil and other oils
1  2  Next

sirel

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 6:39 am
I'm trying to phase out canola oil in my house.

I have olive oil (שמן זית כתית מעולה בכבישה קרה), but I am finding the smell and taste overwhelming and unpleasant.
I bought a bottle of olive oil called "מעודנת", and I don't see any difference.

I bought coconut oil- unrefined and the smell made me extremely nauseated, and permeated every corner of the house.

I was told to get avacado oil, and it's on my shopping list, but I don't want to spend so much money if I won't be able to use it!

What am I doing wrong ?
Is there any oil that is tasteless like canola oil?

bonus points if you tell me what it's called in Hebrew and what large supermarket chain carries it

L K

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 7:37 am
How about grapeseed or peanut oil?

ETA: for salads, I find pistachio oil is delicious, but it definitely has flavor. Walnut oil is good for salads but not frying.

Last edited by L K on Mon, Jun 05 2017, 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 7:37 am
Is there any extra light olive oil available there?
We have it and it's really odorless.
The mild or light olive oil we have here still has that olive flavor and the smoke point is not as low either.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 8:21 am
Given the prevalence of nut allergies, even in Israel, I'm not sure nut oils are a good idea. But I agree, olive oil stinks!

Jalapeño

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 8:36 am
Try sunflower oil and rice bran oil.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 8:53 am
Safflower oil is another great option but here it's pretty costly.

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:06 am
FYI
Do not cook with olive oil
It's not meant for high heat

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
Safflower oil is another great option but here it's pretty costly.

do your research on safflower oil.
AFAIK its just as bad as cottonseed oil (GMO and full of pesticides

L K

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:09 am
Jalapeño wrote:
Try sunflower oil and rice bran oil.

Sunflower oil has a very distinctive flavor, both in salads and baking. Try a little before committing to a large bottle.
Psa: I grew up on it and happen to like it but it def has a specific taste.

sirel

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:27 am
does not cooking with olive oil also mean not to use it in baking? like in a kugel?

ra_mom I will look for extra light, thanks! does anyone know if it exists in Israel?

My son is allergic to nuts but not sensitive to walnut oil. I've never tried pistachio oil.

I don't think safflower oil is considered healthy.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 1:22 pm
sirel wrote:
does not cooking with olive oil also mean not to use it in baking? like in a kugel?

ra_mom I will look for extra light, thanks! does anyone know if it exists in Israel?

My son is allergic to nuts but not sensitive to walnut oil. I've never tried pistachio oil.

I don't think safflower oil is considered healthy.

Extra light olive oil has a high smoke point and can be used for baking and kugels and sauteeing.

mandksima

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:50 pm
You can try an organic refined coconut oil which has much less or no smell/taste. The bigger health food stores here usually have a selection. You can always order it on iherb to mail to Israel. I buy a lot of items from them. I tried the refined once but don't usually buy it as it is missing much of the health benefits and possibly is harmful. My kids have gotten used to the coconut oil taste in cooking. I have always liked it so it wasn't a hard change. Even though I know I shouldn't heat olive oil, I still do sometimes if the coconut taste would ruin it. People must have cooked/fried with it in ancient Israel. You can use animal fat too in a fleishig dish. I follow Paleo so I have avoided canola and all other refined and seed/nut oils for over 5 years. I'll use flax or hemp seed oil on a salad but it is hard sometimes when very little can be heated. Some people like the red palm unrefined oil but I never liked it. Try ghee or grassfed butter if you have something that can be dairy. Schnitzel and popcorn are actually really good with coconut oil!

cbg

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 4:48 pm
Avocado oil has a high smoke point, 500 degrees I think
Taste and odor Less.

Is there such a thing as cold first press light olive oil?
If it's not cold first press the oil has been heated in the pressing process.

sirel

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 12:04 am
mandksima wrote:
You can try an organic refined coconut oil which has much less or no smell/taste. The bigger health food stores here usually have a selection. You can always order it on iherb to mail to Israel. I buy a lot of items from them. I tried the refined once but don't usually buy it as it is missing much of the health benefits and possibly is harmful. My kids have gotten used to the coconut oil taste in cooking. I have always liked it so it wasn't a hard change. Even though I know I shouldn't heat olive oil, I still do sometimes if the coconut taste would ruin it. People must have cooked/fried with it in ancient Israel. You can use animal fat too in a fleishig dish. I follow Paleo so I have avoided canola and all other refined and seed/nut oils for over 5 years. I'll use flax or hemp seed oil on a salad but it is hard sometimes when very little can be heated. Some people like the red palm unrefined oil but I never liked it. Try ghee or grassfed butter if you have something that can be dairy. Schnitzel and popcorn are actually really good with coconut oil!

thanks, I'll look out for the refined coconut. The benefits are less obviously, but I couldn't stand the smell!
shmaltz is an idea I haven't thought of, thanks!

have you ever found extra light olive oil? I'd like to use that to make mayonaise.

anonymom

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 2:09 am
What is so bad about canola?

nylon

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 3:03 am
There is not currently a GMO safflower available. Tested, but not released. (Regardless of one's beliefs surrounding GMOs)

Safflower is also expeller pressed (at least the ones I've seen), rather than broken down with chemicals.

As for pesticides, be aware that even organic crops have pesticides applied.

Other good tasteless oils are sunflower and grapeseed. Perhaps there are two kinds of sunflower oil, because the kind I have bought in the US and U.K. is tasteless.

I do not like soybean or corn oils. These are heavily processed.

ChayaMalka

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 8:55 pm
I cook mostly with Avocado Oil. It has a mild taste - not like avocados! - and it can be used at high temperature.

seeker

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 12:44 am
Try sunflower oil, I used some at someone's house and did not notice any difference in cooking. At home I use a lot of extra light olive oil and don't notice the taste anymore, and I use coconut oil but that has a taste which you don't like. Sunflower oil is supposed to have a high smoking point and mild flavor - good combination for you.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 7:11 am
I use sunflower oil all the time. There is no difference in taste or texture.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jun 22 2017, 9:36 am
For what it's worth, the American Heart Association just issued a warning regarding coconut oil and said it was extremely high in saturated fats.

Olive oil is a far healthier choice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking