Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Upset - bought Beef brisket Pickled was not pickled wwyd?
1  2  Next

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:02 am
If you were to order a Beef brisket Pickled and it was not pickled properly they probably forgot to add salt what would you do? Would you call for a refund or a store credit?

Because I called and they told me that "Our pickling is under strict HAACP guidelines in addition to our Quality Control Supervisor" as if I am lying.

This is the first time that this has occurred. I spent a lot of money on it and I did not get what I ordered.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:04 am
was this the first time you bought from this store? I find that each place pickles differently.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
was this the first time you bought from this store? I find that each place pickles differently.

We have always bought from this store. Never had an issue. If it was a few dollars I would understand but I spent alot of money on it. We are not in The USA. Its expansive here in Canada.

Seas

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:14 am
While I don't know what I would've done I regards to the store, it's good to know that pickling meat is fairly straightforward. I've done it myself several times.

You can find plenty of how to videos on YouTube.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:27 am
amother wrote:
If you were to order a Beef brisket Pickled and it was not pickled properly they probably forgot to add salt what would you do? Would you call for a refund or a store credit?

Because I called and they told me that "Our pickling is under strict HAACP guidelines in addition to our Quality Control Supervisor" as if I am lying.

This is the first time that this has occurred. I spent a lot of money on it and I did not get what I ordered.

"Yes, I understand that it is, and we've been happy with your product in the past. But mistakes can happen, and this was clearly one." If there are alternatives, I'd point out that I'm a good customer, spending $X each month, and would like to continue to have faith in their store. And I'd ask for a credit, not a refund. With a credit, they know you're coming back,

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:31 am
I would prob let it slide - but my DH would be very persistent. And ask to speak to the mgr and his boss and owner and head of the meat dept. If that didn't help he would prob go down to the store with the meat.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:41 am
I would call again, speak to the manager and repeat that it wasn't pickled properly. I would explain I bought it previously and this is the first time I had an issue. Be assertive but pleasant. Don't let him dismiss you!

And I agree with the PP- ask for credit so they know that you will be coming back.

I had one store that refused to listen to any complaints. Even when a package of cheese I bought was moldy by dinner time! I am now trying hard not to shop there if possible as the manager/owner is terrible with customer service. Unfortunately it is the most convenient. Do you have other options?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:56 am
LittleDucky wrote:
I would call again, speak to the manager and repeat that it wasn't pickled properly. I would explain I bought it previously and this is the first time I had an issue. Be assertive but pleasant. Don't let him dismiss you!

And I agree with the PP- ask for credit so they know that you will be coming back.

I had one store that refused to listen to any complaints. Even when a package of cheese I bought was moldy by dinner time! I am now trying hard not to shop there if possible as the manager/owner is terrible with customer service. Unfortunately it is the most convenient. Do you have other options?

No. They are the only company that supplies meat where I live. That is why they are behaving this way. They have a Monopoly. Should I just call the Credit card company and dispute the charges?

watergirl

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
No. They are the only company that supplies meat where I live. That is why they are behaving this way. They have a Monopoly. Should I just call the Credit card company and dispute the charges?

What did you do with the meat? And when was this? Did you comsume the meat anyways? You maybe out of luck, depending.

LittleDucky

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:52 am
Can you complain to the local beis din? Do you have pictures/proof? Do you have something like the better business bureau locally ? Can you threaten to report them for unethical business practices/bad labeling issues? I believe one should exhaust all options before calling in the "big guns" but if nothing civilly and politely works, sometimes a threat of calling would help.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 12:09 pm
I guess I'm in the minority here, but assuming the meat was still good - just not quite what you were expecting - I think I'd just say "oh, well" and enjoy my unpickled brisket. If it were a tough and inedible piece of meat or if they gave you a piece that was smaller than what you paid for, then I'd complain for sure. But I wouldn't make a big to do about this personally. I'd let them know, and that's it. If they had good customer service they would offer remedy on their own, but clearly it's not the case and it's best to just let it go.
By the way, is there any way to order from NY and have it delivered? It might come out cheaper even with delivery fees.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 7:36 am
Bumping this because it just happened to me.

I spent over $50 on a pickled corn beef to serve when we have a lot of guests. I cooked it last night and tasted but it was not pickled! I cooked it in a sauce made of tomato sauce, apricot jam and brown sugar. Now it just tastes like a plain piece of meat cooked in a sweet sauce. There is no pickling spices!!! SO upsetting!!!!! This could have tasted like a delicacy! It’s the wrong sauce for unpickled meat. If anyone knows how to fix it up a little, please respond.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
Bumping this because it just happened to me.

I spent over $50 on a pickled corn beef to serve when we have a lot of guests. I cooked it last night and tasted but it was not pickled! I cooked it in a sauce made of tomato sauce, apricot jam and brown sugar. Now it just tastes like a plain piece of meat cooked in a sweet sauce. There is no pickling spices!!! SO upsetting!!!!! This could have tasted like a delicacy! It’s the wrong sauce for unpickled meat. If anyone knows how to fix it up a little, please respond.

I had this a few years ago. I brought it back to the butcher, cooked, (small place, nice people) and they graciously gave me a new roast.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 9:55 am
So interesting to see this now I was just thinking about when this happened to me too.
What I think happened is that the meat needs time to marinate in the pickling juices. If you cook it right after you buy it fresh it won’t be marinated yet.
So this time when I bought a pickled roast I let it sit in the juices for a week before freezing it.

ectomorph

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:15 am
We pickLe our own. The ingredients are super cheap it's not worth it to buy. You may also need to buy a very large pan if you don't have one. Stick in fridge, cover with 2 layers foil, u can put stuff on top pretty safely, wait a week or two. We just made pickled brisket too.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 10:25 am
ectomorph wrote:
We pickLe our own. The ingredients are super cheap it's not worth it to buy. You may also need to buy a very large pan if you don't have one. Stick in fridge, cover with 2 layers foil, u can put stuff on top pretty safely, wait a week or two. We just made pickled brisket too.

From what I see the price of meat is the same regardless whether it is pickled or not. At least at the place where I buy meat.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:30 am
I bought brisket for rh & didnt realize it was a pickled one & wanted plain. my mistake. exchanged it the next week np when they had the reg ones on shelf. it was still in original packaging unopened.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:31 am
I asked butcher before I did this & was very gracious about it

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:37 am
dankbar wrote:
I bought brisket for rh & didnt realize it was a pickled one & wanted plain. my mistake. exchanged it the next week np when they had the reg ones on shelf. it was still in original packaging unopened.

That was very nice of them, as they cannot resell the meat. They have no idea what you did with it. You could be the Tylenol Killer's sister, and have injected it with something. More likely, you could have left it at unsafe temperatures. Its trash. (And if its not, please tell me the name of the store so I can be sure never, ever ever to shop there.)

ectomorph

Post Fri, Sep 21 2018, 11:39 am
thunderstorm wrote:
From what I see the price of meat is the same regardless whether it is pickled or not. At least at the place where I buy meat.
I live oot and it's way more expensive pickled. What you say makes sense I don't understand how they can charge 2 dollars a lb more for salt and water and spices! !
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics