Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
"ch" names in English
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:08 pm
If you chose a "ch" name for your child in the US (or other English-speaking country), how did you spell it on the birth certificate? If you chose another name altogether for the birth certificate, how did you choose the name?

grace413

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:18 pm
With an H as in Rahel.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:46 pm
This was a big decision for me too, ended up doing same for English and hebrew. Her name is chava, never has an issue. If someone can't pronounce they say it like a k or sh sound, makes life so much simpler to have one name.....

lfab

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 2:50 pm
Spelled it with a Ch on the birth certificate.

little_mage

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:17 pm
Went with the anglicized version; Hannah for Channah

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:26 pm
My baby is Mordechai. On his birth certificate/SS card, it's spelled Mordechai - I.e. same way.

Sometimes people pronounce it Mordecai which is fine for me; I don't care at all.

I have a "tz" name that has a similar problem - it's spelled the normal hebrew way on my legal docs, and people have a really hard time pronouncing it. Oh well.

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 3:28 pm
I have chaya in my name. Its on my passport. They just say chaya 'ch' as in chair.

pink flower

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 7:16 pm
little_mage wrote:
Went with the anglicized version; Hannah for Channah

I spelt Channa with the Ch.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 7:22 pm
I think anyone from any non-Anglo country has to deal with this. As we become more and more of an international community, everyone is going to have to learn different spellings, and to respectfully ask " How do you pronounce that?"

I used to have a Vietnamese friend who's last name was Ng. Scratching Head
It took me ages to get up the nerve to ask her to say it out loud for me, and then it was like Idea "Oh, I get it now!"

Chinese names with X in them confuses the heck out of me. I know it's pronounces "shzh" but it still trips me up.

That's why I have mercy on people who can't pronounce "Yocheved".

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 7:47 pm
It's a fun icebreaker. The Uber driver says "tshana?" and I say "yup, Chana. Not easy to say..." Sometimes they try again. Sometimes I explain it's the original Hebrew for Hannah. Sometimes they are grumpy or silent.

Why my parents didn't go with my easy-to-pronounce middle name remains a mystery. Nowadays original or ethnic names are a thing.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 9:39 pm
I think it is best to have one set of names, all spelled the same way. It is less confusing when filling out forms... no second guessing yourself "wait, I have to spell my name the other way on this form, but not on the school registration form..." And no confusion about the passport and the airline ticket having different names.

My kids names have the ch in the spelling on the birth certificate. Spell it how you normally would. Their name will get mispronounced whatever you do!

sequoia

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 9:51 pm
One time I sent an email to a family friend, addressing him as "Dear Yochanan," only to discover that professionally he goes by Yohanan.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:11 pm
My honest opinion is that it's a disservice to your kid to give them a "ch" name as their legal name, in America at least.

acemom

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:31 pm
If Olivier, Beyoncé, Jacques, José, Margeaux etc. etc. can become acceptable, how about Chaim, Simcha, Yitzchok, Ruchel, Chana and Yochanan?

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 10:57 pm
Chana we did Hannah
Yitzchok-Isaac

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:18 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
My honest opinion is that it's a disservice to your kid to give them a "ch" name as their legal name, in America at least.

I think so too. My baby dovids legal name is David. If I can make his life easier why not

To the poster above yes Beyonce has a weird name too but you try calling customer service with the combination of my first, middle and legal last name. How about every person who asks to see id including cashiers at the mall for a return.. Forget it

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Jun 05 2017, 11:38 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

I don't know that I'd call it a disservice, but I think it's so much simpler to have an American name. My kids have the all American names of. Brian, Mark, and Tyler. Makes life so much simpler. My baby's Hebrew name is so difficult to pronounce that my cleaning lady just calls him "baby".

Pita

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 12:19 am
We spelled ours Haya as we were afraid people would prunpunce it like spiced tea... Chai-a. We pronounce with a cheit.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 12:35 am
acemom wrote:
If Olivier, Beyoncé, Jacques, José, Margeaux etc. etc. can become acceptable, how about Chaim, Simcha, Yitzchok, Ruchel, Chana and Yochanan?

How many beyonces do you know? And what is weird about the name Jose?

I don't think the question is about whether the names are " acceptable" or not but about whether people will have a hard time pronouncing/spelling them or using them in the workplace. For example, many of the Korean nurses I know have English names for work, not because their names are " unacceptable" but because they don't want to deal with constant confusion from patients, their families and the doctors about how to pronounce their names.

bigbird

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 12:38 am
I kept it the same but I now I'm thinking I could have done charlotte
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names