Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
How do you feel of the name Yudit?
Previous  1  2

Water Stones

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:02 am
littleprincess wrote:
Love the name. My niece is called yudit. She's the cutest girl
Dh grandmother till 120 is called yudit as well.

Btw seashells haven't seen your posts for a while . Did u give birth already?

Hi! No I didn't give birth yet. Next month though!

amother
White

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:21 am
I also don't like it... but then again, love the person, (usually) love the name. Even the most unusual names can become trendy depending on the person wearing it.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:32 am
My niece is Yehudit but she's called Yudit. She lives in Israel. I think it's more common in Israeli circles, so if that's where you are and you like it, go for it!

treestump

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:35 am
I really don't like the name at all. Grates on my ears.

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 11:11 am
salt wrote:
I don't have a problem with slurring the name Yehudit into Yudit, in speech. That happens, even though in my opinion it's less pretty. But to spell it like that from the start, is weird.

It's like the name Aharon - where people spell it Aron - I know lots of kids named Aron in England. Pronouncing Aharon as Aron is only natural - it slides off the tongue better, but to actually name them Aron, it's like calling them a cupboard!

Funny because I have a little Ahron, and haven't quite decided how it should be spelled in English.

Was leaning toward Ahron, a compromise between Aron and Aharon maybe?

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 1:45 pm
I like Aron or Aaron

agreer

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 2:20 pm
salt wrote:
Don't like it. It's a mispronunciation of Yehudit - missing out the 'heh'.
It can't be Yiddish, because then it would be Yudis with an 's' at the end not a 't'.

BTW... I think the Yiddish version of this mispronunciation is Yiddis/Yiddes, which is so much worse...

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 2:46 pm
Not if you're a Litvak. Then it would be pronounced Yoodis, rhymes with "goodness" if you left out the n, not Yiddis.

I'm not fond of Yiddish names bichlal, and even less when they're corruptions of Hebrew names. But I do like the name when pronounced Yehudit. What's wrong with a "strong" name? Don't we want our daughters to grow up strong? Not that we expect them to be decapitating anyone--let's hope the need never arises--but why wouldn't you want to name a girl for a Jewish heroine? And I would love to think that if it G-d forbid became necessary, our daughters would find the strength to decapitate someone, or drive a tent peg through his temple, or whatever the modern-day equivalent is.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 3:58 pm
I know an older woman with that name. She is not American. It is not an American pronunciation so you will not hear the name Yehudit pronounced like that here too often. I like the name Yehudis very much but if you want an Israeli pronunciation then it would be Yehudit.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 5:55 pm
My name is Yehudit and (the last syllable is stressed, and pronounced 'deet') and I love my name. I get compliments on it all the time. It's strong, feminine and very Jewish Smile
Btw, not a derivative of Yehuda. Completely different name and origin.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:33 am
I love Yiddish names, and find the Hebrew derivations fascinating. Yidis sounds better than Yehudit. non jews are less mean about Yiddish names than "moderners".

crust

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:45 am
amother wrote:
Btw, not a derivative of Yehuda. Completely different name and origin.

That's very interesting to hear. Do you mind sharing the origin? Thanks
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names