Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O, Respected Professions
Previous  1  2

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
Well. I think I paid close to $10,000 in therapy to finally learn that human beings have intrinsic value because they are human beings. period. So, even if you aren't rich or famous or smart or amaaazing because of whatever, you are still worth while. No matter what. The truth is that nothing is ever really stagnant, and we are all different things at different times. So its hard to hinge self-worth or self-respect on a job or accomplishments or productivity in any one arena.

Very well said.

pizza4

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 4:36 pm
I apologize, chayalle if I wasn't clear... I meant people with severe mental illness who are abusive too, like rebetzins, teachers, babysitters, doctors etc. I would think they go in the category of helpful professions but aren't more respected necessarily simply because of the profession.

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 5:20 pm
There is a concept of showing respect for a position regardless of how one feels about the individual occupying it. So, for example, I may feel that D***** T**** is a poor excuse for a human being, and in three and a half years or less I may gleefully spit on him, but for now, if I had the misfortune of crossing his path, I would address him with the respect due to a head of state.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:45 pm
Dh is very limited intellectually. He works as a cashier making not that much more then minimum wage. But I have a ton of respect for him. He works as hard as he could with his capabilities to support our family. He somtimes even works 15 hr days. And when he comes home, before he even sits down, if he sees I need help, he'll pitch in right away. He has excellent middoes. Does he deserve less respect then a doctor or lawyer? Its not his fault Hashem made him less smart then them. I respect anyone who takes the talents given to them and makes the most of it, whether its an accountant, mailman, truck driver and ect....

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:54 pm
amother wrote:
Well. I think I paid close to $10,000 in therapy to finally learn that human beings have intrinsic value because they are human beings. period. So, even if you aren't rich or famous or smart or amaaazing because of whatever, you are still worth while. No matter what. The truth is that nothing is ever really stagnant, and we are all different things at different times. So its hard to hinge self-worth or self-respect on a job or accomplishments or productivity in any one arena.

That money was well spent. In the end you learned a valuable lesson.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 6:55 pm
amother wrote:
Dh is very limited intellectually. He works as a cashier making not that much more then minimum wage. But I have a ton of respect for him. He works as hard as he could with his capabilities to support our family. He somtimes even works 15 hr days. And when he comes home, before he even sits down, if he sees I need help, he'll pitch in right away. He has excellent middoes. Does he deserve less respect then a doctor or lawyer? Its not his fault Hashem made him less smart then them. I respect anyone who takes the talents given to them and makes the most of it, whether its an accountant, mailman, truck driver and ect....

Agreed!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics