Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Point of real gold jewelry in a world of very good fakes?
1  2  Next

Growing

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:23 am
[discussion seen first Yeshiva World news coffee room]

I am deciding if I should get my eighth grader a 'real' peice of jewelry, her first one, for her graduation.

Am I very traditional or is there true value in gold?

water_bear88

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 11:25 am
Gold tends to hold its value over time, though it may fluctuate a bit. Mostly it tends to be strong when the stock markets are down but it's not a bad investment if you get a good price.

The same holds for real silver, but NOT for diamonds.

If you just care about the look, there's nothing wrong with costume jewelry IMO though I'll say that one or two real sterling silver pieces I got for my bat mitzva have not tarnished beyond easy repair, while a silver-plated necklace I received some years later is noticeably worse for the wear. (If by costume jewelry you mean solid precious metal with cubic zirconium or an inexpensive stone such as turquoise or amethyst, definitely worth it IMO.)

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 11:30 am
I think it's worth getting something real. I still wear the piece I got for my Bas Mitzvah. None of the costume jewelry I've ever had have lasted even close to that long.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 11:36 am
I wouldn't buy an 8th grader a piece of jewelry for its investment value. Chances are that nothing you buy for a child that age is going to have that kind of value.

But gold jewelry will be wearable forever, while even good fakes will tarnish, or the plating will wear off.

Oddly enough, I'm wearing a very nice gold-plated necklace today. But I don't expect that it will last more than a few years. I'm also wearing the semi-precious stone ring that my grandparents bought me for my 8th grade graduation, which they had reset to include a small diamond from my favorite aunt in the setting. Its decades old, but still in perfect condition. And it makes me happy every time I wear it.

Go for the real thing.

Growing

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 12:15 pm
Because I'm not enough in the know to differentiate between solid good metal costume jewelry and peices which won't wear well I was hesitant to go there

The other responses about the value of real are also encouraging

Thanks everyone

Bluesky 1

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 12:17 pm
Is she the type that will watch things well? If she's is a responsible girl then go for the real thing. It's something's she will have for many years to come

Fox

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 1:03 pm
I think I would split the difference and get her something gold-filled as opposed to gold-plated or solid 14K/18K gold.

Not only are her tastes likely to change in the coming years, but what's appropriate based on her age will also change. A delicate necklace that's perfect for a 13-year-old may not be the look that a 26-year-old wants to cultivate.

Gold-filled jewelry can be worn for 10-30 years before the base metal begins to show. In fact, I wear a gold-filled bangle bracelet for sentimental reasons that was given to me in high school (40 years ago) and still looks great.

A classic gold-filled piece is, IMHO, the best of both worlds. She can wear it for many, many years, but it won't be a tragedy if it's lost, broken, or she simply outgrows it.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 1:30 pm
What's the point?
People like me who have an allergic reaction to anything not 950 silver, real gold or platinum.
Because of my allergy I have a much more sophisticated taste in jewelry. But I am jealous of people who can get something just because it's pretty. I just can't afford much jewelry. But what I have is beautiful!

gp2.0

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 1:32 pm
Jewelry drops in value immediately after you buy it. You're not paying for the value of the gold, you're paying for the craftsmanship, the brand name, and the concept of "real gold."

There is so much high quality sterling silver jewelry to choose from, with cubic zirconia, lab created gemstones or semi precious gemstones.

IMO there is no good reason to spend more money on gold and diamonds.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 3:45 pm
14k gold earrings are always a good investment. Small diamond studs are always in style, if it's in your budget.

Other jewelry will more often be taken off and lost. Necklaces break, and rings go down the drain. (Speaking as the mom of an 8th grader.)

Genuine yellow gold is a color that is very hard to copy and keep looking nice if you try to sub a fake.

Sterling silver, especially if rhodium plated, is an exact match for white gold, and will last forever.

My engagement ring is sterling and CZ, and no one knows it's not real. (Don't tell anyone! It's a secret, OK? LOL )

studying_torah

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 3:52 pm
Sadly, I lost a lot of the real jewelry I got as a girl, so it depends if your dd is like me and likely to lose pieces or not.
Interesting about discoloration, bec my white gold wedding band is badly yellowed, even tbo it is real gold.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 4:00 pm
Iymnok wrote:
What's the point?
People like me who have an allergic reaction to anything not 950 silver, real gold or platinum.
Because of my allergy I have a much more sophisticated taste in jewelry. But I am jealous of people who can get something just because it's pretty. I just can't afford much jewelry. But what I have is beautiful!

For allergies, you need these:

They come in white or yellow gold. You buy whatever dangle earrings you like, take off the cheap hooks, and throw them away. Then just slide the dangles onto the gold ear wires, and you can wear whatever you want, whenever you want! These make great sleeper hoops, too. Very comfortable to wear all the time.

They are not cheap, but my customers love them. I can't keep them in stock. (Sorry, don't have any right now, or I'd let you have a pair at my cost.)

thanks

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 5:10 pm
I wonder how many women wear the jewelry they got at bas Mitzvah - either because it broke or got lost, or because it's not age appropriate.
I buy good costume all the time for myself.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 5:46 pm
thanks wrote:
I wonder how many women wear the jewelry they got at bas Mitzvah - either because it broke or got lost, or because it's not age appropriate.

What on earth is "age appropriate" jewelry?

BetsyTacy

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 5:53 pm
My gold jewelery from my youth is still being worn today-by my daughter.
There were a few years of laying fallow in the jewelry box, but my too small for my hand ring and too thin for my wrist bracelet and my too juvenile "chai" pendant are all being worn.

Gold is forever and has a mellowness and timelessness that cannot compare to costume.

I do agree that it is not worth it if your daughter is careless but I only wore my gold jewelry on shabbos so it has lasted long enough to be worn by my daughter, and who knows from there!

Amarante

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 8:04 pm
I don't think any gold jewelry is an "investment" because it's unlikely that you will get the value back in terms of what it is worth melted down.

I do think gold jewelry (or non-costume) jewelry is a lovely present for significant occasions even for a young girl. While styles might go in and out, some things like a classic signet ring, a lovely pair of classic hoops or a pretty pendant necklace are classic. They are also lovely gifts to be passed down by your daughter to her daughter.

Also depending on your daughter's taste, you might also think of some vintage jewelry. Some girls do like antique looking jewelry which again is in style and you can find some lovely stuff. I have some beautiful old lockets (complete with pictures) which were passed down from my Great Grandmother and with the right outfit, they look pretty. When I was younger, I would borrow them from my mother also.

You can also get her a piece of trendy costume jewelry for fun at the same time.

trixx

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 8:37 pm
thanks wrote:

I still have my bas mitzvah jewelry but I don't wear it. Thin gold bracelet chain and a little butterfly pendant with ruby and diamond pointers (that one I gave to a friend who borrowed it and loved it) it's just too delicate and childish for me now. That's what age appropriate means

acemom

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:34 am
I am still wearing my bas mitzvah/graduation jewelry received from my grandparents. It has a classic timeless design and although I am heavier now, it still looks beautiful.

On the other hand, custom and silver jewelry I got from my husband looked tarnished and worn after only several months. There are probably more expensive versions of "nongold" jewelry, but that would defeat the point in my opinion.

BTW, as far as I know, the band on the diamond ring is not white gold usually but another element or combination of gold and other stuff. I could be wrong though.

miami85

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:42 am
Iymnok wrote:
What's the point?

I had sensitive ears as a kid, bought I grew out of it once bought a pair of specifically "hypo-allergenic" earrings b/c I thought my sensitivity was returning, it was only when wearing THESE earrings that I would get a reaction. I wear anything else no problem. Those my ears would turn red and and get all crusty. Was really weird.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:46 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
For allergies, you need these:

They come in white or yellow gold. You buy whatever dangle earrings you like, take off the cheap hooks, and throw them away. Then just slide the dangles onto the gold ear wires, and you can wear whatever you want, whenever you want! These make great sleeper hoops, too. Very comfortable to wear all the time.

They are not cheap, but my customers love them. I can't keep them in stock. (Sorry, don't have any right now, or I'd let you have a pair at my cost.)

I use fish hooks for the same purpose. They're a bit cheaper, and available anywhere that sell jewelry findings. (Your price will be higher than FF's, because of volume discounts.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars