Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
The Carp in the Bathtub

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:36 pm
Amazon sent me a link to this children's book, which looks really cute. I'm wondering if anyone had read it and can tell us if there's anything that might be inappropriate for Yeshivish kids.

bigsis144

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:40 pm
spoilers: it's kind of depressing because the kids get attached to the titular carp and then the book ends with their mother killing it to make gefilte fish. the kids refuse to eat it.

good for turning your children into vegetarians, which certainly isn't Yeshivish Wink

sequoia

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:42 pm
I just started a thread about this recently!

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....17708

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 10:58 pm
Never read the book, but my mother brought carp home in the bathtub. We did caparos on the carp.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 11:06 pm
I've had live carp before making gefilte fish, they go into a cooler. My mother put hers in one of her stone wash sinks in the basement. My aunt kept hers in a kiddy pool. But the bathtub is a classic NY tale.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 11:10 pm
I have multiple copies, great book. nothing inappropriate. I grew up with it.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 11:12 pm
Uncle Isadore, I really dont think Wednesdays are a good night to take a bath...

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Jun 06 2017, 11:34 pm
Sequoia, I knew it sounded familiar (besides for Uncle Isador). I wonder if I followed your thread and that's why Amazon sent to me? Three months later? Could be...

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:47 am
Its a great book. I grew up with it. Nothing at all inappropriate at all. Very clean/pareve.

jkw

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 3:01 am
We loved it! Also The Mouse in the Matzah Factory. A mouse realizes he has been the Shomer for shmura matzah...

emzod42

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 9:07 am
I loved that book as a child! I don't remember anything inappropriate. It's a nice children's book.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room