Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Yerushalayim is not For Sale MBD

miami85

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:33 pm
So I know this is an old song, but not sure when/what was going on at the time that MBD composed it. The refrain sounds like "You better run for your life/Back to Utah overnight/Before the Mountaintop opens up to swallow you inside. Yerushalayim is not for sale..."

Am I missing something--is he saying Utah? That is Mormon country, but not Arab.
Is he saying something else?

Can anyone enlighten me?

treestump

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:35 pm
I think it was directed at missionaries proselytizing in Jerusalem.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:40 pm
It sounds like the song writer has an understanding of the Evangelical Xtian view of Israel and Jews. According to their story we Jews and the state of Israel are needed to ensure the return of their messiah. Once he/she arrives the Jews will have served their purpose and are to be sacrificed/destroyed.

ETA: James Hagee (a visible supporter and close amigo to VP Pence) speaks about this frequently. I believe he may have said something about it in his most recent meeting with Pence.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:43 pm
This song was composed in the 80's. It was referring to the Israeli politics at the time and made lots of sense then but I don't remember what was going on at that time. Hopefully someone who was aware of Israeli politics at that time will chime in. ( I was in my teens then, so I guess we need to hear from someone who was a drop older ..)

glamourmom

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:44 pm
idk but he's saying Utah, for sure. I love that song.

treestump

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:47 pm
From Wikipedia - In 1986 MBD's quasi-rock beat "Jerusalem Is Not For Sale" spearheaded the Haredi opposition to missionary practice in Jerusalem.[4][5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.....David

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:50 pm
I think it has to do with a Mormon temple on Har Hazeisim. There is a midrash that when Moshiach comes Har Hazeisim will split in two. that could be the meaning of those lines.

leah233

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:50 pm
The issue was that the Mormons were looking to build a major church and proselytizing center in Yerushalyim. Therefore he was telling them to go back to Utah.

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 1:51 pm
from wikipedia "In 1986 MBD's quasi-rock beat "Jerusalem Is Not For Sale" spearheaded the Haredi opposition to missionary practice in Jerusalem.[4][5]"

more info: https://youtu.be/1XiUREOUGpw

miami85

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:11 pm
treestump wrote:
I think it was directed at missionaries proselytizing in Jerusalem.

Ok that does make sense. Thanks. That was popular in the 70s-80s when the song was from.

miami85

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 2:13 pm
Iymnok wrote:
I think it has to do with a Mormon temple on Har Hazeisim. There is a midrash that when Moshiach comes Har Hazeisim will split in two. that could be the meaning of those lines.

Wow, its amazing how the "Times change but the story stays the same" --just change the name of the players.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics