Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What do I give workers to eat??

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 5:25 pm
I'm so embarrassed. I had workers here since the morning. I couldn't leave the house today, and don't really have what to give them to eat! I thought I had frozen pizza but I didn't. I was so embarrassed I just avoided them all day, didn't even offer them a drink, which I realized was wrong so I offered them and they gladly asked for water. Now I'm mortified I didn't ask sooner.

But how bad is it that I didn't give them to eat?? Are they expected to bring their own food and drink? I can give them from supper when it's ready in about 1/2 hour, which will be a little before they leave. Should I just offer them some of supper on their way out?

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 5:27 pm
That's awfully nice of you but they are responsible for their own meals unless your contract reads otherwise. I do hope that you remembered to show them where the toilet is.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 5:31 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
That's awfully nice of you but they are responsible for their own meals unless your contract reads otherwise. I do hope that you remembered to show them where the toilet is.

Really?? I'm so relieved to hear that! I felt like an awful person for not offering, I thought it was standard to offer, especially if they're working in your house all day. Contract doesn't say anything about that, I just assumed.

agreer

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 5:32 pm
Yes, they should have their own food and drinks.

Offering water is nice and mentschy, but I wouldn't offer day workers food except for a cleaning lady/housekeeper.. I would expect them to go to their truck during the day to eat their food/snacks.

You can offer supper but you don't have to. Not expected at all.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 5:33 pm
Oh no I didn't show them the toilet embarrassed Oh goodness I didn't think of that! It's in plain site from where they're working though, should I have pointed it out anyway?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 5:35 pm
agreer wrote:
Yes, they should have their own food and drinks.

Offering water is nice and mentschy, but I wouldn't offer day workers food except for a cleaning lady/housekeeper.. I would expect them to go to their truck during the day to eat their food/snacks.

You can offer supper but you don't have to. Not expected at all.

Hm they did go to their trucks for a while around 12:30, I guess they were eating lunch!
I always offer cleaning ladies food which is my only other experience having someone working in the house, hence my assumption. Thanks for making me feel better!

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
Oh no I didn't show them the toilet embarrassed Oh goodness I didn't think of that! It's in plain site from where they're working though, should I have pointed it out anyway?

I have a pal who is the local Maytag man. He once was repairing something for a client in full view of the guest bathroom. He politely asked her if he could use the loo. She said no. He told her that he would have to leave until he could find a public accommodation and he would be billing her for the time. She turned and offered him use of the guest facility.

yOungM0mmy

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 7:34 pm
If it's someone who's there for just a couple of hours, I would offer a drink in the middle, but not a meal. If it's a job that will take several days or longer, I would not offer lunch cuz I'm not doing that every day. When we moved house and hired some men with a big van, I offered them falafel in pita for lunch - thats what my husband ran out to get for us too, and a cup of hot soup at the end of the day, which my mother had brought round for us for supper that night. They gratefully accepted both. They worked hard all day and were so pleasant and helpful, so even though it wasn't in the contract (there wasn't actually one), I felt bad not to offer.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 5:50 am
What? You give them nothing. You are not a caterer.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:12 am
If it's a hot day, offer some cold water, but they pack a lunch or take a short break.

Blue jay

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 9:53 am
usually workers take off for an hour lunch and then come back to resume work.
If they ask to use the bathroom, then I show them where it is.

I offer bottled water.

You don't have to offer food and such.

When the work is all finished, I then tip each worker accordingly. ( if they did a good job)

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 10:46 am
QueenBee3 wrote:
usually workers take off for an hour lunch and then come back to resume work.
If they ask to use the bathroom, then I show them where it is.

I offer bottled water.

You don't have to offer food and such.

When the work is all finished, I then tip each worker accordingly. ( if they did a good job)

Thanks! I don't have water bottles, but I gave them water from my water filter with ice in a plastic cup. Hope that was ok. They're here again today.

How much do you tip?

Blue jay

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 11:01 am
depends on the work they are doing.

I had about 3 contractors siding my house years ago and they were very timely and neat.
I gave them 20 dollars each.
They finished the job in about 10 days time.

I would consider the duration of the job and how well they are working when coming up with a tip. Also your budget ofcourse!
They are getting paid but its nice to give something extra.

miami85

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 12:20 pm
When I had movers, I felt bad that they were working so hard, and I myself wasn't sure what to do about lunch--but eventually they all took a break on their own and ate, came back to work, no problem. If they don't say anything I would assume that they will take care of themselves. But offering water is a nice gesture.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:34 pm
amother wrote:
... Should I just offer them some of supper on their way out?

Why not presume that the will be going home to their families, washing up and eating in their own homes? You know that's what most trades workers do. They are no different than other workers. They have lives outside their jobs.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:49 pm
Do offer water.

cm

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:57 pm
I have never offered food or cash (beyond regular payments to the contractor) to workers or delivery people. They don't seem to expect tips - I thought maybe furniture delivery people would expect a little something, but they get their signature and run. Workers generally take a set lunch break and often eat in their vehicle.

Water is nice to give, especially if they are working outside.

Bathroom privileges - of course, unless they are outdoor workers such as landscapers who work while the family is away and the house is locked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette