Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Constipation in infants

sister1

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:40 pm
My baby is 6 1/2 weeks old and started having issues with her bowel movements around a week and a 1/2 ago. I tried the thermometer trick, and it got her to go this past Sun after not having gone for a week,but since then we have no show again. Any tips? I think she's definitely a bit fussier because of this!

pesek zman

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:42 pm
She's very young for issues with bowl movements. Speak to her pediatrician

shnitzel

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:45 pm
Breastfed or formula fed? Breastfed babies can go over a week without pooping and it isn't constipation it's normal and doesn't require poking around. If a formula fed baby is going a week without pooping I would consult their doctor. I had a baby who often went a week and a half without pooping until they were eating a lot of solids. I also attributed all fussiness to that until I realized how normal it was and got used to it.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:48 pm
call ur pediatrician. im guessing he will recommend to give pear juice. I thought it was odd to give my 2 month old pear juice, but it did the trick! plus it tastes sweet so ur baby will def like it

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:50 pm
I've heard of giving diluted prune juice. Since I was nursing, I tried eating prunes myself, and it helped my baby.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 10:51 pm
With my son, it turned out to be a matter of time. Mylaconin didn't do much, and massaging direct help much either. Neither did drinking an one of water. It happened that we were under feeding him at the time, and increasing his formula intake may be what solved the problem.

Also, if you don't already, keep a journal of her poops. Once I started one I realized that he wasn't at irregular as I thought.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:11 pm
I do not want to alarm you, just alert you so you can keep it in the back of your mind:

My son did not have regular bowel movement when he was nursing, only once a week or so. They also had a slightly different smell and look than my older child's.

If you child falls into this pattern of rare movements, or anything else seems "different" keep in mind that there is a slight chance she may have a condition called FPIES which is a rare allergy condition that takes place in the digestive track.

What that would mean, is to exercise extra caution when introducing solids, just to be on the safe side. Never start with rice or oat cereal or chicken. Those are major FPIES triggers.

Hopefully she doesn't have, but if you feel something is odd, just tuck that info into the back of you mind in case you need it.

esther36

Post Wed, Jun 07 2017, 11:21 pm
Feel ur babys stomach. Does it feel hard?
My pediatrician had recommended glycerin suppositories when my baby was severely constipated.

trixx

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 12:31 am
May be as simple as using the windi. Idk what thermometer trick is but it's probably similar except the windi is amazingly (disgustingly) effective

essie14

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 2:38 am
I keep track of my baby's poops, she's breast fed and also gets some formula bottles. My pediatrician said once a week is normal. Until about 5 weeks she was pooping once a day and then it lessened. I freaked out and he said it's totally fine. She now poops about once every 2-3 days (9 weeks old)

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 6:32 am
My baby had this and it turned out to be a sensitivity to Dairy. I went to a ton of doctors and until I finally saw a gastro who suggested to get him off of dairy. within a very short time it cleared up and now he's older and he can have the dairy again.

sister1

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 10:28 am
Thanks for all the info. I guess I should check with the dr! They're just a little on the cautious side, so if it's not an issue, I'd like to keep it that way! I probably will try prunes and see if it helps. It's reassuring to know that it's probably just a normal pattern - she's my fifth and I never had any others like this!

pesek zman

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 10:32 am
sister1 wrote:
Thanks for all the info. I guess I should check with the dr! They're just a little on the cautious side, so if it's not an issue, I'd like to keep it that way! I probably will try prunes and see if it helps. It's reassuring to know that it's probably just a normal pattern - she's my fifth and I never had any others like this!

Prunes for a 6 week old?? I would not do this. Speak to the doctor before doing this

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 10:58 am
spealk to a doctor befor eyou do anything! your baby is very young. at this stage you need a doctor.

sister1

Post Thu, Jun 08 2017, 12:10 pm
I wld take prunes, not the baby
If it persists, I'll obviously go to a dr!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics