Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
If you are a teacher or your dh is a rebbe....
Previous  1  2

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 12:02 am
amother wrote:
And are you a teacher?

I'm a teacher and I HATE gift cards. Cash any day. If you have a personal issue with giving cash at least give a visa gift card. Giving a gift card or gift certificate to a specific store means that I must find something in that store (or stores), it must be within the right price range - not much more because there's no point if I need to add my own money, but not much less because then what will I do with the leftover money on the card, and very often these cards expire within a year so I need to remember I have it and use it during that time frame. One year I was pregnant so didn't do much shopping and then reminded myself about a gift card when my baby was 2 months old. I didn't want the $60 to go into the garbage so I shlepped out with my crying newborn and bought a toy for my older kid. It was really pointless and I remember feeling resentful that I *had* to use it up. we could have done way better with cash.

What about a starbucks gift card? Everyone drinks coffee....right?

tichellady

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 12:06 am
amother wrote:
And are you a teacher?

I'm a teacher and I HATE gift cards. Cash any day. If you have a personal issue with giving cash at least give a visa gift card. Giving a gift card or gift certificate to a specific store means that I must find something in that store (or stores), it must be within the right price range - not much more because there's no point if I need to add my own money, but not much less because then what will I do with the leftover money on the card, and very often these cards expire within a year so I need to remember I have it and use it during that time frame. One year I was pregnant so didn't do much shopping and then reminded myself about a gift card when my baby was 2 months old. I didn't want the $60 to go into the garbage so I shlepped out with my crying newborn and bought a toy for my older kid. It was really pointless and I remember feeling resentful that I *had* to use it up. we could have done way better with cash.

What does being a teacher have to do with liking gift cards? It's a personality thing more than anything. I think it's classier to give a gift card than cash. But you are allowed to disagree with me. I'm sure it's all what we are used to and what is done in our circles.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 1:19 am
Well, $20-30 is really generous! I've never gotten gifts anywhere near that much, EXCEPT once (from a fellow teacher!!) an Artscroll book that must have cost about that much. I really appreciated that gift.

Personally I do like Target and Amazon gift cards best. I'm on a very restrictive diet so food usually doesn't do anything for me. If I wasn't I'd probably appreciate it. But you just never know, I doubt most of my students' parents know about my dietary needs.

I myself also really like mugs (pretty, nice-sized ones!) and scented candles or lotions (good ones though!) but from what I understand many teachers are sick of those / don't like those.

I guess bottom line, cash or a very generic gift card is safest if you want to make sure your gift will be USED. But truly, any gift is appreciated, and of course the note means everything.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 1:35 am
amother wrote:
Nope, everyone does not! I got a Starbucks gift card several years ago that's still sitting in my wallet, as well as several to Dunkin Donuts. Btw, with the potential kashrus issues at Starbucks I'd be even more hesitant to give a gift card there.

myym

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 10:29 am
my husband is a teacher and he defenitely appreciates the notes the most. After that I would say a gift card is best. you can get a visa card so it can be used on anything

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 10:30 am
amother wrote:

No. I don't. And definitely not from starbucks.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 10:32 am
tichellady wrote:
What does being a teacher have to do with liking gift cards? It's a personality thing more than anything. I think it's classier to give a gift card than cash. But you are allowed to disagree with me. I'm sure it's all what we are used to and what is done in our circles.

Because when you're a teacher you are getting way more of them per year!!! And you need to keep track of which one expires when...

Of course it feels classier to give a gift card. But getting one is a hassle.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 10:35 am
amother wrote:
I'm a teacher and while the notes and everything are awesome to receive I do appreciate the gifts also (it seems like everyone always says a note is all that's really important). Anyway I don't expect anything from anyone, but if you're able to it's always appreciated- I mean who doesn't like to get presents? Please don't pounce on me for saying this- I want to emphasize that I'm not saying people have to give teachers anything, just that, like any present, it is appreciated.

Gift cards to Target or Amazon are what I appreciate most. Amazon isn't a good idea if you don't know if the teacher shops online. I've gotten gift cards for restaurants I wouldn't normally go to but I've used them to pick up something for my husband.
Gift cards to more specific specialty stores prob. aren't the best idea unless you know the person specifically likes to shop there (that goes for giving gift cards to anyone anytime).

Not everyone would bother with that. You proved my point. When I get it, I say thank you. But when the giver is asking in advance what to give, why shouldn't I say the truth? Don't get a gift card to a specific store. I can think of many people who wouldn't have what to do with an Amazon gift card, and a Target gift card would mean a hassle of a shopping trip getting to Target (not everyone owns a car or lives near Target).

amother
Beige

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 10:41 am
There are pretty cards made for inserting cash. Are those classy enough for gift givers? Does a check feel better than cash? Gift cards can be frustrating, for the reasons others mentioned, but generic cards are quite useful.

As a high school teacher I never get gifts or tips, but I used to when I taught younger grades. This year a student (on her own) gave me a bar of chocolate and wrote a poem that was so sweet and touching in its sincerity. It feels so nice to be appreciated.

I try to give my kids' teachers a very personalized note, quoting my kids and describing specific reasons why they appreciate their teachers. I can't afford much, but I go with cash because I know I used to appreciate it most. A relative works with little kids and adds up her tip money to treat herself to something she wouldn't have been able to afford. It gives her a lot of joy, more than potted plants or Starbucks cards could.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 10:46 am
amother wrote:
Nope, everyone does not! I got a Starbucks gift card several years ago that's still sitting in my wallet, as well as several to Dunkin Donuts. Btw, with the potential kashrus issues at Starbucks I'd be even more hesitant to give a gift card there.

Lol ok I hear.

myym wrote:
my husband is a teacher and he defenitely appreciates the notes the most. After that I would say a gift card is best. you can get a visa card so it can be used on anything

So, I feel like giving a $20 visa or target card is just as awkward as giving cash, because a visa card is like cash, and in target you can easily spend $200. A $20 target card, or amazon, feels embarrassingly cheap.

But a place like starbucks, if you spend $20 you're really treating yourself. A couple fancy coffees or a few packages, because just one coffee is under $3.

Does that make sense?

cm

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:07 am
I'm not a teacher, but they always say on threads like these that cash gifts are the best (besides the heartfelt note, of course).

I never give gift cards for specific stores (other than Target or Amazon) because you don't know where people shop or eat or what they want, unless you are close friends or they happened to mention a preference. If you see the teacher carrying a Starbucks cup every day, the gift card would probably be appreciated, but otherwise - nope.

Sometimes people feel awkward giving cash, so gift cards might be a better choice. Just note that some "credit card brand" cards carry high fees. You have to read the fine print, or you really aren't doing the recipient any favors.

In my community, Target is the major store and most people shop there frequently. They carry products for work, home and all members of the family at reasonable prices, and has an easy-to-use website. I think it's a great choice for a cash-equivalent gift that will be enjoyed and used promptly.

Amazon has become my favorite choice for gift cards because you can get everything there, just about, and except for people who eschew the internet (which is pretty much unheard of in my circles) everyone shops on Amazon.

No matter what, $20 is not "cheap." The gift will be appreciated. Cash placed into a nice card with a note is fine, really.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 12:12 pm
If you're afraid cash or a gift card in that amount looks cheap, buy a nice book and stick in the gift receipt for them to exchange it for something they want. I don't teach locally so I don't usually get gifts (only gift cards to treif places) but for my own kids' teachers I send reed diffusers with a nice note at the end of the year. About $5 apiece.

smss

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 1:00 pm
groisamomma wrote:
If you're afraid cash or a gift card in that amount looks cheap, buy a nice book and stick in the gift receipt for them to exchange it for something they want. I don't teach locally so I don't usually get gifts (only gift cards to treif places) but for my own kids' teachers I send reed diffusers with a nice note at the end of the year. About $5 apiece.

Nice idea, where do you buy them at that price?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children