Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Are day camps over stimulating?
1  2  3  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 8:44 am
I've been noticing that quite a few of my kids' friends don't want to go to camp. One of my children complain to me all day how she doesn't want to go - and I feel bad bec I work so have no choice. When I was a kid we loved camp. And it was quite boring compared to the craziness in camps today. I haven't exactly gone out and done a study, so I could be off, but I feel like the camps are just too much for a lot of kids. I know some kids love it, but I know that I myself get overwhelmed reading the camp calendars. Everyday a new insane wild excitement. Curious to hear others' thoughts.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 8:53 am
yes it is. MY dd is staying home this year (I'm a SAHM so I have that luxury). She tried camp in the past and while she would tell me "it was the best camp ever!) she would totally melt down emotionally when she got home and by the end she herself didn't want to go because she realized that it was just too loud for her. She loves singing and all but when all these kids are screeching together it's just too much. She was also concerned about a certain kid who she said wasn't being nice to her and was nervous to go- yes I spoke to the head counselor, mother etc.. but I find that camp is just not as "emotionally safe" for many kids since it's more hefker with teenage counselors. I've heard about issues from other parents also.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 8:57 am
To be honest I've never seen any wild excitement. I've seen a theme for every day where they try to make each day fun by tying in the theme, swimming every day, sports, and once a week crafts baking and trips...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 8:58 am
More like underwhelming except on special days

STMommy

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 8:59 am
Is that why your child is saying she doesn't want to go - because it was too overwhelming or overstimulating for her?
My children thrived on the whirlwind of activities in camp especially the chance to get physical energy out. They came home tired and happy. As opposed to during the school year, when they sit too long, they come home bouncing off the walls.

cm

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 9:08 am
Day camp can be very, very loud, and much faster-paced with more activities than some (older) parents remember from 30-40 years ago. Kids at our camp are rewarded for benching at top volume, and come home hoarse from chanting and singing. It can be both enjoyable and overwhelming at the same time, and not fun at all for some kids.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 9:18 am
Ruchel wrote:
More like underwhelming except on special days

You def don't live where I do

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 10:25 am
Yes, every camp tries to outdo the others and be the best, most exciting, camp out there. I wish things were more low-key, but I work and I don't have the option of staying home and doing Mommy camp.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:11 am
I wonder why there aren't more "low keyed" options of camps for mothers who work?

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:13 am
I think it depends on the child's personality. Some thrive, some can't handle it.

My daughter does not like camp. It's too much. She needs stability and consistency. Not constant trips, changing schedules, rah rah rah screaming and chanting.

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:13 am
amother wrote:
I wonder why there aren't more "low keyed" options of camps for mothers who work?

There should be! I guess they're afraid they won't get enough campers to make it worth their while.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:19 am
I think there are daycamps that are very stimulating. Some kids thrive from that and some kids don't. If your kid is the type to get overwhelmed, see if you can find something a little more low key for him/her.

When my girls were going into 6th and 7th grade, I sent them to a certain teen daycamp in Lakewood. My girls loved it. They had a really stimulating program, and to be honest, sometimes a little crazy....and both my girls loved every minute - the one who describes herself as an introvert, and the extroverted one, too. They are both very fun-loving and creative, and the program really kept them on their toes. There were also choices, so the one DD who can't get enough of sports signed up for sports leagues, and the one who hates sports but loves dance found her place as well....I have a niece who is quiet and shy, and they got her to sing a solo in their performance, the way she shone that night was priceless.

So there was a girl in our neighborhood carpool who dropped out after a week or so. It was simply too much for her - she found it overwhelming. She did not like to yell and cheer, she did not like having her face painted with who-knows-what on the way in in the morning, and the whole noisy scene was simply not her style.

Bottom line - not every program will work for every camper.

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:20 am
Probably depends on the camp.
In general in certain circles I find that there is more going on as camps try to outdo each other - I am more concerned about sleepaway camps than day camps in this respect but maybe just because I don't know many day camps like this.

But I am all for a "back to basics" camp experience on all levels and I hope that I will be able to find something like that for my kids when the time comes. Right now they're in a day camp that is very low-frills. There's maybe one special thing each week, and some weeks not really - color war counts as a special thing too.

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:25 am
LiLIsraeli wrote:
There should be! I guess they're afraid they won't get enough campers to make it worth their while.

There are dozens of different types of camps in metropolitan areas.

Classic camp, sports camp (general, and devoted to one sport), art camp, music camp, travel camp, theater camp, tech camp, robotics camp, zoo camp, museum camp, challenge camp, dance camp, cooking camp. There are even camps devoted to video games, to Harry Potter, to Percy Jackson.

No, not every kid at these camps will be Orthodox. But send your own lunch, and you're fine.

Not every camp is for every kid. Camps cater to majorities. If your kid is a bit more reserved than most kids, you need to move outside the box.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 11:53 am
To consider for non Orthodox camp.
Mixed sport. Mixed SWIMMING. Outings you might not consider kosher. Snacks exchange, depending on age. Just saying.

gold21

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 12:17 pm
It sounds like the camp in question is more hefker than over-stimulating. And organized camp that follows a daily routine would be less overwhelming.

Personally, I do find camps these days to be offering more trips than necessary. Trips are very overwhelming for kids. I find kids do better on days that follow routine.

Overnights for kids coming out of 4th grade? Really? In what universe is that necessary... These kids are so little... So many of them don't need this (or want this). But in general, I always dread trip days, even the ones that aren't overnights. The kids come home wired and overstimulated.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 12:19 pm
I actually remember as a kid going to a daycamp that had an overnight one night a session and both times the next day I was beyond out of control I was just flairing my arms and completely falling apart, I needed my sleep, I was a child, it's been years but that completely out of control feeling was was so extreme that I even remember it now. I wasn't like that in sleep away camp where they actually had a bedtime etc...

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 1:18 pm
The problem is kids either don't want to or feel stupid missing overnights but the aftermath is a disaster. Last year my 6 year old had a late night. They got home like ten. It was ridiculous. There really aren't many choices in Lakewood as the kids get older.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 1:31 pm
Yes I think they are. Just having to follow a chock-filled schedule of "now we daven! Prizes for davening! Quick, get dressed for swimming! Swimming time! Quick, out of the pool! Tweet tweet! Get dressed! Run to the arts and crafts house. Ahhh, breathe....oh! Lunch time!! Bentching! Who gets tickets for bentching! Special activity announcement! Lets all cheer! Louder! Louderrrrrr!!" Etc can be very overwhelming for kids who prefer a little more "chill time" after such a rigorous school year.

Emotional

Post Fri, Jun 09 2017, 2:03 pm
When I was in day camp in the 80's & 90's, camp was definitely less fancy than it is today - no pre-recorded soundtracks for the head counselors to sing with while dressed in funky costumes etc - but the constant screaming and cheering was always an issue.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children