Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Seminary like MMY or midreshet in USA
1  2  Next

ruby slippers

Post Sat, Jun 10 2017, 11:57 pm
Does anyone know of post high school programs in the USA that are similar hashkafically to MMY, MIdreshet Moriah, Maybe even migdal oz etc. Where the girls learn mishna and sources and bases for halacha so that if they ever had to debate with their brothers they could say well the Rambam says ....

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 12:34 am
Stern.

ruby slippers

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 10:04 pm
DD not ready for college yet- needs that gap year.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 11:11 pm
Does not exist as far as I know. Stern is not at all like seminary

Mom23gs

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 11:34 pm
what about Drisha http://drisha.org

jkw

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:50 am
Yavne in Cleveland

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 1:14 am
jkw wrote:
Yavne in Cleveland

The girls I know who went there are much more yeshivish than MMY or Midreshet. MUCH.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 1:32 am
Mom23gs wrote:
what about Drisha http://drisha.org

No post high school program and very much to the left of mmy. They do have a high school summer program which is great

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 9:22 am
Thanks- its a start- its not for this Sept. but the next so I have a small amount of time- but figured this is the best place to start! : )

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 9:46 am
(for background: I was raised RWMO and am in my third year post-sem. Plenty of my friends went to Midreshet or MMY.)

Unfortunately, no year-long post-high-school program that is remotely non-yeshivish exists in the US. And Drisha, which I agree is much more left-leaning than Midreshet even, is AFAIK the only full-time learning program for women in the US of any duration.

An idea might be Touro for a year even if your DD doesn't want to graduate from there -- she might be able to fill her schedule with kodesh classes and the environment is certainly closer to seminary-like than Stern's.

As much as I absolutely loved the sem I went to, this is one of my major pet peeves about the RWMO world -- seminary is pushed ridiculously but the only options are in Israel.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 10:15 am
I went to MMY about 10 years ago. Is there a reason you don't want to send her to Israel?

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:28 pm
This is a total shot in the dark because I actually have no idea, but I think I remember hearing that Rabbi Wallerstein was opening a seminary some time ago? If that materialized I imagine it would be less yeshivish than the rest of the US seminaries. Maybe more of a Sharfman's type?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:42 pm
Seeker is referring to Ateres Naava, which from what I've heard doesn't cater exclusively to yeshivish girls, but the faculty are all from that olam. I'm quite sure it doesn't teach mishnayos, Rambam, etc inside the way OP wants.

If anyone dreams of opening a school, here is your niche Very Happy

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 4:19 pm
What about boys? Is there a place in the US (preferably east coast) where a boy who is a solid learner but not yeshivish could learn kodesh for a gap year before attending a secular university. Instead of Mevaseret or a hesder yeshiva like Shaalvim in Israel, somewhere in the US?

doctorima

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 7:38 pm
YU kodesh classes, or possibly Lander's or Ohr HaChaim in Queens (a little more right-wing, but not ultra-yeshivish).

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 9:29 pm
Thank you. I wonder if any of these schools will accept a boy not in their regular program. I will need research this.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 10:23 pm
amother wrote:
Seeker is referring to Ateres Naava, which from what I've heard doesn't cater exclusively to yeshivish girls, but the faculty are all from that olam. I'm quite sure it doesn't teach mishnayos, Rambam, etc inside the way OP wants.

If anyone dreams of opening a school, here is your niche Very Happy

That was my immediate reaction to this thread!

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:23 pm
I think the reason places don't exist in the US is that the mo world is committed to the centrality of Israel, כי מציון תצא תורה. These aren't just places to learn that by chance happen to be in Israel.

How do you know that in a year from now she won't be ready to go away? Teenagers grow in fits and starts. She may yet surprise you.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:44 pm
Centrality of Israel does not = every HS senior can afford to and is ready to spend a year so far away from home. They could still benefit from a year of Torah learning if that's what they want.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 12:02 am
seeker wrote:
Centrality of Israel does not = every HS senior can afford to and is ready to spend a year so far away from home. They could still benefit from a year of Torah learning if that's what they want.

You're right, I was just explaining the phenomenon.
I cannot imagine that there are enough girls like op's daughter to warrant opening​ a non-yeshivish seminary in the US.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics