Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Bedtime before shabbos over
1  2  Next

MK3

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 11:57 am
I have a 2 year old and almost 1 year old. their bedtimes are by 8. they get a bath every night before bed. how does everyone manage this in the summer on Shabbos before Shabbos is over? without hot water? do they make hot water boilers that have Shabbos settings?

right now ive been taking hot water from the urn, mixing it with cold water, and giving bath with that, but I end up not having enough water, it ends up being like a sponge bath, and don't want to waste the water from urn. what does everyone do? cant skip bath, baby gets food in his hair!

Fabulous

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 12:04 pm
I wipe down with baby wipes

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 12:08 pm
yes nothing will happen if you wash down their faces and hands up to their elbow and their knees with babywipe or someo water. and then sunday moring is bathtime. or sunday night.

what do you do when its 3 day yom tov? your not allowed to wash so much that a towel gets real wet. tefach lehatfiach. which means that the towel gets so wet that when you touch it gets your hands wet. even if not then you can do sechita. squeezing out hair. its not allowed to use loads of water to wash down. you can take someo water and wash around a little and wipe. but not baths.

obviously if a child is very ill and has a high fever then that is totally something else.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 12:49 pm
Children have survived for centuries without daily baths. Children have survived for centuries even though they might skip one day a week.

If it's really driving you crazy, just use a baby wipe to get the sticky parts clean, and bathe them Sunday morning.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 12:56 pm
I use minimal water from the tap and a bit of baby wash without any washcloths. If they need a bath Sunday morning they get one.
We do baths every day but it usually works out as 6x a week. In the winter we may skip Friday and in the summer we may skip Saturday nights.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:35 pm
I don't really get the question, what's the big tragedy if they go to sleep one night without a bath? If they got extremely filthy somehow then wipe them down superficially with regular cool water or a wipe and they'll have a proper bath on Sunday.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:40 pm
Not OP, but I'm surprised to hear so many people mention baby wipes. Are these allowed to be used on Shabbos? I was always under the impression that not.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:49 pm
amother wrote:
Not OP, but I'm surprised to hear so many people mention baby wipes. Are these allowed to be used on Shabbos? I was always under the impression that not.

a good read on the topic.

http://www.torahmusings.com/20.....bbos/

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 2:55 pm
And in the days of pre baby wipes, what did mother's do? Ask your Grandmother, you may be surprised.

CEF

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:09 pm
as much as I agree that you don't need to bath your kids that night and could use alternative means to clean them, my kids when toddler age enjoyed being bathed in a plastic box placed in the bath. put the water in it and then sit them in the box, like in a mini-bath (one after the other - it's actually loads of fun for them. I used a toy box from ikea.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:12 pm
amother wrote:
a good read on the topic.

http://www.torahmusings.com/20.....bbos/

Thanks for the link.
I think we do hold that it isn't allowed though will ask dh to check into it further.

Not sure why I got a hug for asking this?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 3:56 pm
I read that you really shouldn't wash babies/toddlers hair more than once a week because their scalps aren't oily yet it and it causes them to get dry scalp. Personally I give my toddler a bath Mon and Fri afternoons, she doesn't smell or have dry skin or rashes, and if she gets food in her hair (usually does on Fri night) I carefully remove it with my fingers. I wash her hands and face in the sink all the time.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the link.
I think we do hold that it isn't allowed though will ask dh to check into it further.

Not sure why I got a hug for asking this?

You're welcome.

tichellady

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 5:17 pm
amother wrote:
yes nothing will happen if you wash down their faces and hands up to their elbow and their knees with babywipe or someo water. and then sunday moring is bathtime. or sunday night.

what do you do when its 3 day yom tov? your not allowed to wash so much that a towel gets real wet. tefach lehatfiach. which means that the towel gets so wet that when you touch it gets your hands wet. even if not then you can do sechita. squeezing out hair. its not allowed to use loads of water to wash down. you can take someo water and wash around a little and wipe. but not baths.

obviously if a child is very ill and has a high fever then that is totally something else.

Just FYI: there are people who hold that it's fine to bathe/shower on yomtov

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 6:01 pm
I don't bathe my kids nightly just for this reason...I don't want them relying on a bathe to goto sleep. What happens if u can't give them that bath? I wile down nightly and give bath 2/3 times a week. Obviously if dirty they get a bath lot often.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Jun 11 2017, 11:22 pm
We just do a lukewarm bath. Not a fun play pleasure bath. But a quick, shallow, get-clean and get-out bath.

salt

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 2:48 am
Are you allowed to mix cold water with boiling water from the urn on Shabbat?
Doesn't sound right to me.
I'd skip the bath.
My kids are older, and stay up till motzei Shabbos, but are way too tired after havdala to have baths. They go straight to bed (unless it happened to be 38 degrees that day)

Roots

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 3:19 am
1 I dont use wipes on shabbat - wash hands, faces (and if necessary tushes and legs-in israel many parks have sand....)
2 in the summer you dont need such hot water cuz its so hot outside and its fun to be washed with lukewarm water
3 in israel and if you are sfardi you are allowed to turn on the hot water for a baby on shabbat - only if it was boiled by the sun . (if the boiler was turned on friday t warm up the water you can not use hot water) ask you dh or lr.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 8:41 am
I give my kids sink baths on shabbos.
Plug the sink and fill with cold water, then add hot water from the urn till lukewarm, and gentle soap like cetaphil.
(Yes it's permissible, the hot water is in a kli sheini and pouring it becomes kli shlishi "irui kli sheini k'kli shlishi")
Then kid sits on the counter, washes face first, then arms up to shoulder, then sticks feet into sink and washes them till knees.
It bothers me when my kids are sticky or smelly or dirty. Also I feel like if they go to sleep with dirt on them the linen has to be washed the next day.

simba

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 10:27 am
I put my kids to bed at 7pm and on summer Shabbosim as well. I wash their hands and face and whatever might be particularly black and kiss them goodnight. Then find chocolate and a magazine and stay on the couch for as long as I could!

Don't overthink it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics