Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Let's do whole30
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
Ok so I so I was just about going to stuff my face with bread or rice or something because I am sooooo hungry. Actually I did eat a bit of rice that was in the leftover chicken soup, but never mind. But then your post came and gave me chizzuk. So really you hated vegetables and now you like them? How long did it take to start liking them?

Thanks babysmum for starting this thread!

I started with easy stuff like sweet potatoes, butternut squash, cherry tomatoes, green beans, romaine lettuce salads. Then went on to roasted veg- things like peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli. Spaghetti squash, zucchini noodles, unstuffed cabbage. Kale and similar took the longest but I got there eventually and I actually prefer kale to other lettuces now!

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 2:34 pm
ok ill look into it and I think ill join. im happy that one may do it during pregnancy too.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 4:58 pm
Which coconut milk is allowed?
Can I use Roland's classic coconut milk from the can for coffee? It has polysorbate 60, sodium carboxy methylcellulose and sodium metabisulfite.

-chocolate amother

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
Which coconut milk is allowed?
Can I use Roland's classic coconut milk from the can for coffee? It has polysorbate 60, sodium carboxy methylcellulose and sodium metabisulfite.

-chocolate amother

No, sulfites are out.
Native Forest and Trader Joe's both have compliant canned coconut milk.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 10:04 pm
amother wrote:
No, sulfites are out.
Native Forest and Trader Joe's both have compliant canned coconut milk.

Thanks I'm going to look for those.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 10:40 pm
What did everyone eat today?
I welcome critique as this is my first try on whole30.

-coffee (I couldn't manage with black so had a shot of milk and Splenda in there but ordered coconut milk for tomorrow)
-3 sliced eggs
-1 cup cantaloupe

-6 ounces tilapia with spices
-steamed broccoli with salt

-chicken quarter with spices
-1 potato roasted with olive oil and seasoning
-vegetable salad with olive oil and seasoning

-6 cups water

Question: do you really not snack in between meals with veg, fruit, nuts?

-chocolate amother

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 10:52 pm
I can't remember. But I was all good until about 9.30pm when I felt so starving that I ate a whole pile of animal cookies. Sad Sad Sad

I guess tomorrow is another day.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
What did everyone eat today?
I welcome critique as this is my first try on whole30.

-coffee (I couldn't manage with black so had a shot of milk and Splenda in there but ordered coconut milk for tomorrow)
-3 sliced eggs
-1 cup cantaloupe

-6 ounces tilapia with spices
-steamed broccoli with salt

-chicken quarter with spices
-1 potato roasted with olive oil and seasoning
-vegetable salad with olive oil and seasoning

-6 cups water

Question: do you really not snack in between meals with veg, fruit, nuts?

-chocolate amother

Looks like a good start! Try to have 1-2 tbsp of fat at every meal. Since you had dairy and splenda today, tomorrow would be day one. You really want to do a full 30 days to change your eating habits and get a clear picture of how different foods affect you. Some people like to "practice" for a week before really starting, but don't count that as Whole30.

Divide your weight by 2 and that is the number of ounces of water to drink each day. If you live somewhere hot or do exercise, maybe even more. 6 cups is enough if you weigh 96 lbs Wink

If you're hungry between meals, eat. Having fat at each meal will help you stay full. But if you do need a snack, have one. Try to eat at least 2 of these 3: protein, vegetable, fat.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:35 pm
amother wrote:
Looks like a good start! Try to have 1-2 tbsp of fat at every meal. Since you had dairy and splenda today, tomorrow would be day one. You really want to do a full 30 days to change your eating habits and get a clear picture of how different foods affect you. Some people like to "practice" for a week before really starting, but don't count that as Whole30.

Divide your weight by 2 and that is the number of ounces of water to drink each day. If you live somewhere hot or do exercise, maybe even more. 6 cups is enough if you weigh 96 lbs Wink

If you're hungry between meals, eat. Having fat at each meal will help you stay full. But if you do need a snack, have one. Try to eat at least 2 of these 3: protein, vegetable, fat.

Thanks for your help! I will try to do all that. If I'm not using olive oil at a meal (sliced eggs) what should I add instead? How much nuts or how much avocado or what other options?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 12:33 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your help! I will try to do all that. If I'm not using olive oil at a meal (sliced eggs) what should I add instead? How much nuts or how much avocado or what other options?

A closed handful of nuts or 1/4-1/2 avocado. Olives or mayo are other options. Coconut flakes, or coconut butter, or nut butter (those are super easy to go overboard on though!).

Do you like egg salad? Or deviled eggs? I have both of those pretty often for breakfast - they're really yummy. I use homemade avocado oil mayo to make them.

In the case of your lunch I would have put oil on both the tilapia and broccoli and roasted them in the oven...yum!

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 1:10 am
amother wrote:
Thanks violet!!!!

Can you eat rice? Or potatoes and fruit really the only allowed carbs? I am more tha 100lbs overweight Sad

Also I'm not a vegetable fan. If I was I guess I wouldn't be so fat. How do you get to like them?

I don't follow the Whole30 diet, but I suggest you try cauliflower rice. If it's prepared and spiced well, it's a delicious option and a good sub for rice.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 5:50 am
amother wrote:
A closed handful of nuts or 1/4-1/2 avocado. Olives or mayo are other options. Coconut flakes, or coconut butter, or nut butter (those are super easy to go overboard on though!).

Do you like egg salad? Or deviled eggs? I have both of those pretty often for breakfast - they're really yummy. I use homemade avocado oil mayo to make them.

In the case of your lunch I would have put oil on both the tilapia and broccoli and roasted them in the oven...yum!

Thanks! Nuts, avocado and olives work for me! How many olives?
Mayo needs to be homemade, right?

-chocolate amother

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:18 pm
-coffee (coconut milk didn't come until the p.m.)
-3 eggs scrambled in olive oil
-vegetables with oo

-apple
-8 oz tilapa with spices
-salad with olive oil and seasoning

-hard egg

-1 1/2 pieces chicken with oo and spices
-1 1/2 potatoes with oo and spices
-cauliflower with olive oil

-9 cups water

Did I eat too much today?

-chocolate amother

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:30 pm
Well today was better. I had a pot of chilled veg soup (like gazpacho but more green and orange veg) to have at each meal. I couldn't eat it though until I added stock powder, which means the day doesn't count as Whole30, but I still feel better because I filled up on soup and not bread. Thanks for the motivation.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks! Nuts, avocado and olives work for me! How many olives?
Mayo needs to be homemade, right?

-chocolate amother

An open handful or 2.

Mayo needs to have no off-plan ingredients - there are a few you can buy (Primal Kitchen, Chosen Foods) but they're $$. I like to make my own.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
-coffee (coconut milk didn't come until the p.m.)
-3 eggs scrambled in olive oil
-vegetables with oo

-apple
-8 oz tilapa with spices
-salad with olive oil and seasoning

-hard egg

-1 1/2 pieces chicken with oo and spices
-1 1/2 potatoes with oo and spices
-cauliflower with olive oil

-9 cups water

Did I eat too much today?

-chocolate amother

Looks great! You were totally compliant which is awesome! As far as amounts, I don't know how big the potatoes were, the recommended amount of starchy vegetables is a fist-sized serving per day.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:59 pm
amother wrote:
Looks great! You were totally compliant which is awesome! As far as amounts, I don't know how big the potatoes were, the recommended amount of starchy vegetables is a fist-sized serving per day.

Thanks! Ok so I overdid it in the potato department. Open fist or closed fist like nuts?

-chocolate amother

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 1:10 am
amother wrote:
Thanks! Ok so I overdid it in the potato department. Open fist or closed fist like nuts?

-chocolate amother

Like equal to the size of your fist.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 5:07 am
amother wrote:
Well today was better. I had a pot of chilled veg soup (like gazpacho but more green and orange veg) to have at each meal. I couldn't eat it though until I added stock powder, which means the day doesn't count as Whole30, but I still feel better because I filled up on soup and not bread. Thanks for the motivation.

Please, stop using powdered soup mix. They are pure MSG. Wreaks havoc to your entire body. Sure I tastes yummy, much different than salt. Even the ones that say NO MSG, still are really bad for you. All they do is take out the "S", sodium, and leave the MG- which has a different name, can't remember at the moment.
It will take time to adjust, sauté the veggies first helps in the flavor. For onion soup mix, I find I can substitute dried onion flakes and salt. Not that too much salt is healthy, but much better than MSG.
Do a google search about how bad MSG is and you'll stop using it right away.
Be weary of take out and restaurant soups, full of MSG, I can taste it right away.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 2:15 pm
I'm having a really hard time with my coffee. I haven't been able to be compliant. I tried the coconut milk and it's a doable option only if I can add a sweetener. Please help!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen