Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Money saving tips and cutting corners please share :)
Previous  1  2

cholenteater

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
We used to spend many unnecessary dollars at the dry cleaners. U can wash most things yourself (of course not a mans suit). But read the labels and it's not hard at all
We used to have much more cleaning help then we do now and She used to do all our Landry. U can easily do your own laundry (not sure if u do it now or not). But a huge money saver as well.

Great point! Yes we don't dry clean often, just for DH suits (not his shirts) and one or two outfits here or there. Kids clothes are non dry cleaning only

cholenteater

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 8:43 pm
amother wrote:
Another great way to save money is to breastfeed your children. saves you money in formula, doctor's visits, days off from work (when baby is sick), and babysitters (because you can't leave them too long without you LOL )

I nurse my kiddos which definitely helps with the cost of formula! Baby still go to babysitter - I pump two bottles per day

devorah1231

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 9:45 pm
Buy chicken and meat at cheapest prices in bulk and freeze in portion sizes weighed on a scale.

Get a credit card with cash back and use that money for electronics, vacations, etc and don't buy/go unless you have enough saved up

Buy higher denier stockings so you don't need to buy more often.

Buy and freeze cheese when it goes on sale a few times a year. I think it is worth having an extra freezer for this purpose, in the long run.

Make veggie soups and freeze in portion size so you eat that instead of buying lunches when you get stuck. They last a very long time.

Don't scrimp on car insurance! If you don't get full coverage and you get in an accident you could end up without a car!

cholenteater

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 8:43 pm
devorah1231 wrote:
Buy chicken and meat at cheapest prices in bulk and freeze in portion sizes weighed on a scale.

Get a credit card with cash back and use that money for electronics, vacations, etc and don't buy/go unless you have enough saved up

Buy higher denier stockings so you don't need to buy more often.

Buy and freeze cheese when it goes on sale a few times a year. I think it is worth having an extra freezer for this purpose, in the long run.

Make veggie soups and freeze in portion size so you eat that instead of buying lunches when you get stuck. They last a very long time.

Don't scrimp on car insurance! If you don't get full coverage and you get in an accident you could end up without a car!

Thanks for your ideas! We have a second freezer it's over iced now Sad but we will defrost and stock up on the summer sales!

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jun 19 2017, 10:05 pm
amother wrote:
Another great way to save money is to breastfeed your children. saves you money in formula, doctor's visits, days off from work (when baby is sick), and babysitters (because you can't leave them too long without you LOL )

I breastfed both my kids though I honestly don't believe it's cheaper.
For a start, I have much less energy whilst nursing so it means I accomplish less.
And you are much more tied down throughout the day.
And in a similar vein, saving on babysitters that you mentioned, often would just mean being unable to work. So absolutely no gain there.

I didn't nurse to save money, but because there are obviously many other benefits. In money sense, I actually think it's one of those things looks like they save money in the short term when in reality the payoff isn't worth it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jun 20 2017, 8:30 am
Interesting...I hated washing bottles, nursing saved me on that energy wise. I could sleep at night while nursing vs preparing and then feeding bottles, so that helped too. Nursed 7 kids without formula B"H even when we had difficulties, and I definitely saved money (unless I went on WIC and got formula through them, but I never was on WIC). I guess I'm just used to that as part of my lifestyle that I didn't change much else when nursing to spend more money on other things!

About CC with cash back....if you have enough money to live on, by all means save the cash back for vacations and splurges. But if you're like me that just makes enough to survive, and that's with conscientious spending, cash back is best used to pay back the CC bill itself!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics