Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Challah dough in batches?

ariellabella

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:32 am
I am hoping some experienced challah bakers can chime in here:

I have a 2lb bread machine which I am planning to use to make dough. I did this successfully last week and got 4 small challot out of it. The recipe used about 4.5-5 cups of flour.

I'd really like to make enough to take challah and make the bracha, even if it means making a couple batches. How would I do this exactly?

TIA!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:00 pm
My mother used to do this. She'd put a double recipe in the machine and try to remember to remove it to a bowl before it uverflowed when rising. Then put in a second batch.
I do it by hand. Much cleaner than my mother's method! But what concerns me is that each batch of dough has risen for a different amount of time. Over risen dough makes inferior challah IME.

ariellabella

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:17 pm
Iymnok wrote:
My mother used to do this. She'd put a double recipe in the machine and try to remember to remove it to a bowl before it uverflowed when rising. Then put in a second batch.
I do it by hand. Much cleaner than my mother's method! But what concerns me is that each batch of dough has risen for a different amount of time. Over risen dough makes inferior challah IME.

Thanks for your reply.
Do you think I could refrigerate the first batch while making the second?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 12:20 pm
ariellabella wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
Do you think I could refrigerate the first batch while making the second?
That makes sense logically. I never refrigerate challah dough, so I can't give a definite answer.

ariellabella

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 4:13 pm
Thanks. May try this.
Would I take the challah from the total final volume of dough, before braiding?

Now that I think about it, I wonder if I would even get enough flour into 2 batches to take challah...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads