Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Best brand of Cholov Yisroel milk?
1  2  Next

gold21

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:22 pm
I find Cholov Yisroel milk goes bad really quickly. I have some friends and neighbors who eat Chalav Stam and they tell me that it lasts much longer. I don't know why that is.... But is there a brand of Cholov Yisroel milk that you trust to stay fresh for a decent length of time (ideally until the expiration date listed)? Its no fun checking the milk in the morning before putting it on the breakfast table and finding it spoiled, a week before it's expiration....

baschabad

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:27 pm
Lamers milk. We get it here in Chicago. It stays fresh for so long!
I used to live in Brooklyn and buy the CY milk there- like New Square and Devash.
Lamers is the best I've tried. It's won milk awards!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:30 pm
Golden Flow used to be good but the last few months I can buy it Wednesday and open it up Shabbos morning to find out nobody is getting to drink their coffee. Sad

Debbig

Pride of the Farm

ra_mom

We don't get Lamer's or Pride of the Farm in NY.

cnc

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Golden Flow used to be good but the last few months I can buy it Wednesday and open it up Shabbos morning to find out nobody is getting to drink their coffee. Sad

It's getting warmer outside and Golden Flow makes their deliveries hours before the stores open, so the milk is sitting out.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:39 pm
cnc wrote:
It's getting warmer outside and Golden Flow makes their deliveries hours before the stores open, so the milk is sitting out.

I had this in the frost of winter too. And we have a good fridge at home. Sad
But I think the only way to get fresh milk (and bread) is at the small groceries but I don't have time for small runs during the week. It hasn't been fun. Sad

ETA: How many hours before the stores open? I'm going to start a boycott and write them a letter! Tongue Out

gold21

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:47 pm
ra_mom wrote:

Same exact experience!
Sad

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:53 pm
Pride of the farm
In New York: fresh n tasty

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:56 pm
Dvash

mommyla

Post Mon, Jun 12 2017, 11:56 pm
Golden Flow is the worst, it never tastes fresh to me. Pride of the Farm all the way

sunshine5

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 12:31 am
ra_mom wrote:

Same here. But cant get used to any other brand. We were strictly using GF and never had a problem until around pesach time of this year.
Keep spilling bottles of milk down my sink drain.

JalapeƱo

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 6:43 am
Bethel Creamery is pricier, but as a CS-consumer, it's the only milk I actually enjoyed buying when I was living in crown heights.

It's creamy and fresh. Definitely compares favorably to most non-CY milk (& actually, it's better than most cheap CS milk out there)

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 8:09 am
I think it depends where u live.
I live in Monsey and Devash all the way!
Wasting milk is expensive..

esther36

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:15 am
Pride of farm only!

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:18 am
With all of these, ymmv. I live in Baltimore and our only option is Pride of the Farm. It goes bad very quickly, and we are pretty close to the plant.

My friend who owns a kosher cheese company (with both cholov stammand yosroel options) told me that cy cheese and milk is pasturized at a higher temp, so its ph level is more easily messed with and more sensative to outside temperatures. I often have my half and half (pride of the farm) curdle in my coffee even though its a week away from date and smells fine. Pride of the farm told me this happens then the milk's ph is off, and they sent my money back when the store wouldnt refund me.

rgr

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:21 am
ra_mom wrote:
I had this in the frost of winter too. And we have a good fridge at home. Sad
But I think the only way to get fresh milk (and bread) is at the small groceries but I don't have time for small runs during the week. It hasn't been fun. Sad

ETA: How many hours before the stores open? I'm going to start a boycott and write them a letter! Tongue Out

In NY its not possible to deliver during the day, where a delivery truck would cause too much traffic if they did so.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:48 am
you can try getting smaller sizes of milk and storing in the freezer.

When I was little in London we would get daily milk deliveries. I don't know why that is not a thing anymore...maybe milk companies got better with putting preservatives in the milk.

The chalav yisrael milk I get now lasts for at least a week but its not from NY.

esther36

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 9:52 am
Never had a problem with pride of the farm!! In fact many times the milk us still good after trying expiration date

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 10:47 am
Milk that is off can be used in cooked things like pancakes and muffins. It actually adds to the flavor and saves it from the drain.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen