Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Who pays?

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 2:43 pm
Who normally pays for a second wedding?
How does the couple manage to pay after living on a single parents wage.

Do I need to start saving up??

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 2:45 pm
I assume that the couple pays, but a second wedding is generally a small, modest event.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 2:49 pm
I paid for it all.
My dh had no money.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 2:49 pm
you should always save... it may be for this, or for something else. Once you have the savings - you can decide what to do with it.

I know parents who contribute to their children's second wedding - and some who don't. I don't think there is a 'normal'.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
Who normally pays for a second wedding?
How does the couple manage to pay after living on a single parents wage.

Do I need to start saving up??

Your parents weren't obligated to pay for your first wedding, and they're certainly not obligated to pay for a second. Although it is possible that they would like to help, particularly if they have the resources to do so.

You and your fiance may well decide to have a more modest affair, with just immediate family and close friends. Or a larger crowd, but in the shul social hall with desserts and wine. Either way, I think that you should anticipate that you and your fiance will be paying most of the cost.

Savta S

Post Tue, Jun 13 2017, 3:46 pm
DS & his wife paid for their nice wedding, second for both. We gave a generous gift. But we also had no input into the wedding. A friend of mine in a similar situation, paid for her DS's second wedding.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:03 pm
I was planning to elope. Fly to where my almost dh lived and just get married in the rabbis study. I wanted to get married, but didn't want to plan a wedding.
Then I heard about a camp wanting to sponsor a wedding, all they needed was a chosson and kallah. So we volunteered. And had a fantastic and memorable wedding day!

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:19 pm
In general, these "who pays" threads are pointless, as different strokes for different folks. Everyone has a different experience, and these threads set people up to be hurt and have the wrong expectations.

Having said that, for my second wedding, Dh and I paid for almost the whole thing, my mother paid for the meal (we only had one sheva bracha, and it was a limited guest list after the simchas chasson v kallah), and my in laws paid for some of the food for the simchas chasson v kallah. The "hall" was free.

cnc

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
I was planning to elope. Fly to where my almost dh lived and just get married in the rabbis study. I wanted to get married, but didn't want to plan a wedding.
Then I heard about a camp wanting to sponsor a wedding, all they needed was a chosson and kallah. So we volunteered. And had a fantastic and memorable wedding day!

That's awesome! I remember reading about it!!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:27 pm
watergirl wrote:

Having said that, for my second wedding, Dh and I paid for almost the whole thing, my mother paid for the meal (we only had one sheva bracha, and it was a limited guest list after the simchas chasson v kallah), and my in laws paid for some of the food for the simchas chasson v kallah. The "hall" was free.

lol. so what exactly did you pay for?

this is like when people say "my parents paid my college and my rent and bought me a car, but I paid my own insurance and phone bill. I did it all on my own!"

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:

this is like when people say "my parents paid my college and my rent and bought me a car, but I paid my own insurance and phone bill. I did it all on my own!"

this is like when people come onto imamother to make rude comments.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:58 pm
amother wrote:

Wow. Lets see. We paid for all of the food that we served other than what his parents bought, which was minimal. Like cake, other refreshments, pastries, drinks, fruit, veg, etc. Band. Photographer. Invitations. Wine/liquor.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics