Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you be offended if you were asked to be Kvatter?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 10:33 am
When DH and I were asked, I think the couple offering it to us wanted someone who didn't have kids... We asked a shaila about doing it as I just got a positive POAS. We were told it isn't an issue. I wonder if they assume it was the honor that did it? Retroactive segulas? LOL

But seriously, people should stop looking at others stomachs and stop counting children! And at the same time, look beyond your situation and don't look for insult where none intended! IF isn't easy but not everything is meant to point out your situation or embarrass you... (Which means that there is shame, ie you should feel guilty over something...).

Mevater

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 10:47 am
My mother raised in Europe always said its the greatest honor to be asked to be Kvatter because she had heard from her parents (in the early 1900's) that the child takes on some characteristics of the Kvaters, so Kvatters have to chosen carefully.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 10:54 am
I like what Plum amother posted.

I've been kvatter four times, and have been offered the honor many more times than that. In my experience, I've taken it as an honor when the person honoring me is someone close to me - like my sisters and SIL. In fact, I was niddah 3 of the 4 times I was kvatter, and while it was somewhat uncomfortable, I was able to arrange to minimize this by arranging the passing with other family members in advance. (For example - one bris was in the beautiful Bialostoker Shul in NYC. The ladies were all upstairs in the balcony, and the men were all in the main shul. I told my father in advance that we would need his assistance, so he quietly slipped out with DH to get the baby from me. We were the only three people in the hallway, no one had to know my status....)

I also think the honor should be offered if it's someone you would normally honor (like a close friend or relative). To call someone you speak to once a year, is hardly a normal honor - and draws attention to a painful reality. I'd say skip it. I once got a call from a relative I speak to once in a blue moon, who told me she has a friend who is making a Bris in my area, and she "needs" a kvatter. I declined, and I thought it was a bit bizarre.

Also - do not be pushy! Don't take it personally if they decline. As others have posted, the source for kvatter being a segulah for children is quite questionable (to the poster who bought a pasuk - that's the first time I actually heard something credible - thank you! - but it's a nice vort at best. ) so don't take it personally if a couple declines your opportunity that you are convinced will be "the" segulah they need. It's sort of like pushing your personal belief on someone else - and that someone else happens to be dealing with alot, and sensitivity is called for.

Lastly - kvatter is a Kibbud - an honor. It should be treated like a Bracha under the Chuppah. Give it to cutesy young couples who enjoy it. Give it to the grandparents. My parents were kvatter at my mother's best friend's son's bris, when they were already grandparents - they were so honored and touched. Give it to someone who will feel honored, not to someone you barely or never speak to.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
When DH and I were asked, I think the couple offering it to us wanted someone who didn't have kids... We asked a shaila about doing it as I just got a positive POAS. We were told it isn't an issue. I wonder if they assume it was the honor that did it? Retroactive segulas? LOL

But seriously, people should stop looking at others stomachs and stop counting children! And at the same time, look beyond your situation and don't look for insult where none intended! IF isn't easy but not everything is meant to point out your situation or embarrass you... (Which means that there is shame, ie you should feel guilty over something...).

You asked a shaila if you were allowed to be kvatter? Why?

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 10:57 am
Mevater wrote:
My mother raised in Europe always said its the greatest honor to be asked to be Kvatter because she had heard from her parents (in the early 1900's) that the child takes on some characteristics of the Kvaters, so Kvatters have to chosen carefully.

I have heard this about giving someone a name - that the person gets from the Ruach of the person they are named after.

I have never heard this of kvattering, and without a source, no offense but this sounds like more of an old wives' tale to me.

None of my nephews whom I kvattered bare any resemblance to me or DH in any way I can think of....

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 11:02 am
amother wrote:

Not every positive pregnancy test results in a healthy baby. Sad

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 11:16 am
watergirl wrote:

Having said that, when we had our first boy, a couple who we were close with asked us if they could have the honor. We were actually planning on giving it to grandparents, aunts, uncles, people who had flown in, as was the custom in our shul. As we were close with this couple, we knew about their infertility and she also dipped in the mikvah after me when I entered my 9th month.

You went to the mikva together? Or she just told you when she went for her monthly cycles?

simba

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 11:30 am
I am not reading Previous responses before responding. No I was not insulted on the many times I was asked. Usually was honored. If it worked for us we did it. If it didn't, we thanked them for thinking of us and moved on.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 11:56 am
I wouldn't be offended but it might remind me of the painful reality that I'm infertile in a community where having kids is primary. I am happy to do it if I feel they actually want to honor me, as in close friends or family, but think it's weird to ask acquaintances just because they don't have kids.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 12:09 pm
amother wrote:
You went to the mikva together? Or she just told you when she went for her monthly cycles?

see http://www.yoatzot.org/questio.....=1127

some pregnant women go the mikvah in their ninth month - which is a segula for an easy delivery. So some women will ask pregnant lady when (if) she will be doing this - and then immerse afterwards (or perhaps the pregnant lady will approach and offer)

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 12:27 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for pointing JUST me out, but other people also said they don't want to because of the segula and drawing attention to their childlessness so whats your problem??

You were married a few months- what childlessness?? You can even compare your situation to that of someone who is childless for 7 years! In your situation, they were just giving a newlymarried couple a great opportunity. In the other situations it was a little more obvious what it was about because those people have been married years without children. I was asked when I was married 4 months and 3 months pregnant, we asked our rav and was told to do it and daven at the moment of passing the baby. We did. No insult was given, no one yet knew I was pregnant, it was not a bad thing, I thought it was a great honor.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 12:44 pm
amother wrote:
see http://www.yoatzot.org/questio.....=1127

some pregnant women go the mikvah in their ninth month - which is a segula for an easy delivery. So some women will ask pregnant lady when (if) she will be doing this - and then immerse afterwards (or perhaps the pregnant lady will approach and offer)

Interesting, I had never heard this, thanks. Im assuming it wouldnt be while shes bleeding?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
When people ask within the first year, they're not marking you as dealing with infertility, rather if it's a seguloh to have children, they hope you will be blessed with one too. Sometimes people find it easier to ask those recently married as no one is looking at them as dealing with infertility in which case sometimes they do not want to be kvatter.
I was asked a few months after marriage, and we agreed, and I totally did not feel that anyone was looking at us as "infertile" and that we couldn't have children.

I happen to think in our case people were looking at us as infertile because we always got "soon by yous!" And a lot of people commented after I got pregnant that they thought we had been married for a few years already...

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 1:37 pm
My friend asked me to be kvatter and she knew I was expecting (2nd trimester but not showing). I was surprised but she said the zechus of helping to bring a baby to its bris should bring us bracha. Not specifically pregnancy. Makes sense to me!

Moonlight

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 1:52 pm
I think it is a kibbud and only an honor. I understand people can be greatly sensitive but noone is trying to insult you

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 2:49 pm
I was under the impression that it was an eis ratzon for anything. I have given kvatter to all kinds of people (4 brissim) a middle aged couple who help me lots when I was single, my fil who needs a refuah shelima, and two close friends both of whom had kids. I was in too much of a post partum haze to think about peoples children or lack thereof.

yksraya

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 3:18 pm
Kvatter, when given as an honor is a nice kibbud and might be a segula. But when given to a couple with IF, it is very hurtful. I never gave kvatter to anyone specific. Whichever couple arrived to bris first, and was ok with it, got the kibbud.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 3:59 pm
So as someone with IF, here's my 2 cents.

It's not insulting to be asked by a friend or relative as logn as it's clear we can decline if needed. We've said both yes and no before. But event he times when I've said no just because I didn't want to, I never felt insutled, since these are people who have relationships with me and care about me.

If it's someone who doesn't know me, I would feel really bad because what it sounds like is 'hi, I don't really know you and never really bothered to speak to you much before or get to know you, but I noticed you have no kids / haven't had a kid for several years. .."

So I would say if you don't know them, it might make them feel bad. But if it's a friend or a relative, it's not insulting, just make sure to allow them to say no if they want (e.g. don't ask them on the spot).

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 5:08 pm
I was asked twice within my second year of marriage. I was never insulted or embarrassed wen though we were TTC.

First time was my cousin & friend. It was prefaced by saying that we can tell them at the Bris. We don't have to say why, like if Niddah, pregnant already or just dont want. They had a back up in case. We were honored to be able to do it.

Second time was when I was in my fourth month. We have a minhag not to announce till the fifth month. My cousin asked his mother (who I was very close to) to ask me. She prefaced that there's no pressure and we can decline for any reasons and we should not tell her why. We declined. At the bris (I had entered my fifth month that day) I told her M"T and then let her know the good news that we were expecting and that is why we declined.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for pointing JUST me out, but other people also said they don't want to because of the segula and drawing attention to their childlessness so whats your problem??

She is correct. It is common to ask newly married couples (in the first year) to be kvater. It doesn't mean anyone thinks you are having IF. It is too soon for that anyway. You were being paranoid and it is this exact attitude that zaq is talking about - taking a kibbud and making it an insult. There is nothing odd about asking a new couple to be kvater. It's a great oppurtunity.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette