Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What is the Persian Jewish community in Brooklyn like?

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 12:44 am
How religious is the Persian Jewish community in Brooklyn like? Are they religious at all? Are they more modern or yeshivish? Is it mostly a frum from birth or a Baal Teshuva community?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 4:56 am
Is there a community in Brooklyn? I thought it was mostly in Queens. I used to work in a persian school (almost 20 years ago now) and my impression was that they were mostly traditional - shabbos, kosher, mikva but women wear pants. There was one persian teacher who wore a sheital. The kids in the school were from Queens and Long Island.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 5:28 am
I went to a Persian shul in Flatbush in 2006. I do not remember the name but I remember there being many frum women there wearing hats and sheitels and dressed tzniusly and men with black hats (sorry it's such exterior details, but I did not speak to anyone - just saw how everyone looked). I do not recall the name.
There is also a frum Persian community in Baltimore. I was there and really enjoyed my time spent there (I was there for a weekend. There's a lady there who organizes singles shabbatons for Persian Jews around the US) - it was the only exclusively yeshivish persian community I have seen. The people were so down to earth and friendly.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 6:39 am
Funny that Queens and Baltimore were mentioned. I lived in Baltimore now and I used to live in Queens. Wenhsve anlarge Persian community here and also in Queens!

For the most part, unless they attended ashkenazi institutions (and then not always the case still), groupings like "yeshivish" and ffb arent concerns and dont apply to sedardi communities. These groupings are narishkeit that only the ashki olam seems to be wrapped up in.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 6:52 am
amother wrote:
Is there a community in Brooklyn? I thought it was mostly in Queens. I used to work in a persian school (almost 20 years ago now) and my impression was that they were mostly traditional - shabbos, kosher, mikva but women wear pants. There was one persian teacher who wore a sheital. The kids in the school were from Queens and Long Island.
u

There is a fairly large community in brooklyn. Several large shuls, that are completely frum. Like, the shuls have learning at 6 AM for the bal habutim, with paid (Persian) kollel men to learn with them, and the same thing at night for 2 hours before maariv. The religious level obviously varies, but in Brooklyn and Baltimore there are plenty of Persian kollel families.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 7:05 am
amother wrote:
Funny that Queens and Baltimore were mentioned. I lived in Baltimore now and I used to live in Queens. Wenhsve anlarge Persian community here and also in Queens!

For the most part, unless they attended ashkenazi institutions (and then not always the case still), groupings like "yeshivish" and ffb arent concerns and dont apply to sedardi communities. These groupings are narishkeit that only the ashki olam seems to be wrapped up in.

Funny, I grew up in Baltimore and now live in Flatbush and my experience is completely different.

Growing up in Baltimore, there used to be just the one BY that everyone went to (now there's a bnos yisrael too), and only 2 boys Yeshiva options, neither of them Sephardic. Most of the Persian community when I was growing up (I'm 30 for reference) gravitated towards the yeshivishe side. Many wear black hats, even in my parents age group, and most men attend shiurim at the shul.

There's also many young Persian couples in baltimore, as well as couples that start for a year or two in kollel before going into business. Ner yisrael has a group of Persian bochurim, many of them from California.

When I was growing uo, there definitely was a stress on being associated with the more yeshivishe communities (even though my parents couldn't fathom some very basic stuff, like wearing long sleeves and knew socks), as it was kind of seen as elite.
My siblings and I used to joke that our parents treated fitting into the yeshivishe world like their secular siblings treated becoming a doctor.

Btw, I never in Baltimore heard people using the term "ashki" until my sister in law from queens started using it. The Persian community in Baltimore is very integrated. Its not like the Syrian community here, where even in English casual conversations they maintain their accent. To explain: my SY husband will say "where are you going to pray min-ha (read that with a nice, gutteral 'ch' sound) on Shabbat" whereas my baltimorean Persian brothers and bils will say "where are you davening mincha on shabbos".

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 5:22 pm
Thankyou. The more info I get the better because I am thinking of moving to Brooklyn and I am Persian.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 5:51 pm
amother wrote:
Funny, I grew up in Baltimore and now live in Flatbush and my experience is completely different.

Growing up in Baltimore, there used to be just the one BY that everyone went to (now there's a bnos yisrael too), and only 2 boys Yeshiva options, neither of them Sephardic. Most of the Persian community when I was growing up (I'm 30 for reference) gravitated towards the yeshivishe side. Many wear black hats, even in my parents age group, and most men attend shiurim at the shul.

There's also many young Persian couples in baltimore, as well as couples that start for a year or two in kollel before going into business. Ner yisrael has a group of Persian bochurim, many of them from California.

When I was growing uo, there definitely was a stress on being associated with the more yeshivishe communities (even though my parents couldn't fathom some very basic stuff, like wearing long sleeves and knew socks), as it was kind of seen as elite.
My siblings and I used to joke that our parents treated fitting into the yeshivishe world like their secular siblings treated becoming a doctor.

Btw, I never in Baltimore heard people using the term "ashki" until my sister in law from queens started using it. The Persian community in Baltimore is very integrated. Its not like the Syrian community here, where even in English casual conversations they maintain their accent. To explain: my SY husband will say "where are you going to pray min-ha (read that with a nice, gutteral 'ch' sound) on Shabbat" whereas my baltimorean Persian brothers and bils will say "where are you davening mincha on shabbos".

Lol I picked up the term "ashki" in Queens also!

With these things, ymmv always.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:31 am
amother wrote:
groupings like "yeshivish" and ffb arent concerns and dont apply to sedardi communities. These groupings are narishkeit that only the ashki olam seems to be wrapped up in.

You are at least 15 years late. Cute though. I do feel the bias.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics