Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
ISO Camp or Boarding Schools in Switzerland.
1  2  Next

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 9:13 am
Hi!
I'm looking for a sleepway camp or school in Switzerland for a 15 year old girl.
Or maybe a family that hosts teenage girls.
Anyone?
TIA

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 11:31 am
Bump

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 1:35 pm
I have a cousin who grew up in Geneva, and went to high school in Aix Les Bains, France. I remember she told me it has a dorm, and that it's a short ride over the border from Switzerland. Don't know if it still exists (she was in school about 18 years ago) or is an option.....

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 3:12 pm
Thanks Chayallr! I appreciate your post. I thought there was a known sem in Switzerland.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 5:39 pm
I went to the seminary in Lucerne, Switzerland. Unfortunately it closed many years ago....

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
I went to the seminary in Lucerne, Switzerland. Unfortunately it closed many years ago....

Sorry. I made mistake. She isn't sem age yet.
Do you know if there's a regular high school there? whom can I ask?

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 5:59 pm
Well if I recall correctly, high school ends early and by 14 or 15 these girls entered the seminary program. It was equivalent to 11 th and 12th grade. I haven't been in touch with anyone there in years. I'm not sure who you can call. Maybe try googling Jewish community center in Zurich or even chabbad and get names and numbers of the school there. Or keep posting here and maybe a Swiss Another will answer!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:40 am
Chayalle wrote:
I have a cousin who grew up in Geneva, and went to high school in Aix Les Bains, France. I remember she told me it has a dorm, and that it's a short ride over the border from Switzerland. Don't know if it still exists (she was in school about 18 years ago) or is an option.....

Of course it still exists!
You also have Beth Hanna in Strasbourg that does dorm when needed.
In Switzerland, maybe in Zurich, Machon something?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:02 am
Ruchel wrote:
Of course it still exists!
You also have Beth Hanna in Strasbourg that does dorm when needed.
In Switzerland, maybe in Zurich, Machon something?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Do you know if the dorm is in Switzerland?
What type of school is Beth Hanna?
And what type of school is the one Chayalle's cousin went to?

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:34 am
You also have machon Chen in Zurich and a Chabad school in Geneva.
Are you looking for something in the summer or during the school year?

wife613

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:20 am
Swiss amother here - Machon Chen is an American style two year high school programme for girls who don't want to leave home and go to sem after main school finishes at age 14/15. It doesn't have a dorm. As far as I am aware there is no dormitory anywhere in Switzerland itself. But I'm sure there are families who would be willing to help out. Please keep in mind that almost everyone lives in apartments.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:39 am
I'm a mother in Zurich and can personally recommend Machon Chen as described above. But if you give a little more detail about why you're looking for a place in Switzerland and why you wish to send your daughter perhaps we, over here, could help you out a little more. There are wonderful people here who have taken girls into their homes, many from the us and some from England.
Hatzlocha with what is probably a difficult decision you need to make.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:34 am
amother wrote:
I'm a mother in Zurich and can personally recommend Machon Chen as described above. But if you give a little more detail about why you're looking for a place in Switzerland and why you wish to send your daughter perhaps we, over here, could help you out a little more. There are wonderful people here who have taken girls into their homes, many from the us and some from England.
Hatzlocha with what is probably a difficult decision you need to make.

Thanks for understanding. Yes this is a very difficult decision to make.
I cannot post too much info. I'd rather pm If needed.

I would try to send her for the summer first and see how it goes.
What are the options for the summer?

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:53 am
Unfortunately there's nothing going on this summer for teenagers. This is the first year in a while that I no one has organised anything. A but sometimes something comes up in the last minute. I have one teenage daughter (and 2 more almost teenage!) and she's going to be a counsellor in a day camp for a couple of weeks. Our vacation is shorter than yours (I'm assuming you're in the US).
Feel free to pm me if you want any more help or info on this.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
Unfortunately there's nothing going on this summer for teenagers. This is the first year in a while that I no one has organised anything. A but sometimes something comes up in the last minute. I have one teenage daughter (and 2 more almost teenage!) and she's going to be a counsellor in a day camp for a couple of weeks. Our vacation is shorter than yours (I'm assuming you're in the US).

Thanks again.
I know the vacation is shorter. This was my concern about sending her for the summer only. What will she do all day?
When does school start?
What type of school is it? Is it like Manchester sem type? Or, chabad? I'm sorry I really have no idea what to think.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 3:45 pm
Machon Chen is a bais yakov school. You can Google it, they have a website.
Depending on what's going on with your daughter, she could easily find a babysitting job for a couple of weeks at the start of the holidays (most people go away with their families after tisha b'av) or apply as a counsellor in e.g. camp chabad.
Last summer we had a cousin of my husband who came to us from abroad and I found her babysitting jobs for 2 weeks. She came here for a break, was having a hard time at home. It worked very well. But again it depends where your daughter is at.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 3:47 pm
Forgot to say, school starts at the end of August.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 3:53 pm
amother wrote:
Forgot to say, school starts at the end of August.

Thanks that would be perfect.
Nothing going on at home. She has a certain health issue and we were advised that Switzerland can help it.

lili

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 3:57 pm
do you have any contacts here in Switzerland? I imagine it would be quite lonely for a foreign girl to attend Machon Chen, it's a local high school, no other foreign girls.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:53 pm
lili wrote:
do you have any contacts here in Switzerland? I imagine it would be quite lonely for a foreign girl to attend Machon Chen, it's a local high school, no other foreign girls.

I know. I understand it's not the norm. I have to see what other options we have. It's not like there are a whole bunch of options, anyway. It's not a situation any of us, chose.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children