Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
3.3.5 yr old asks tons of questions like why, how, etc.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 6:08 pm
I am going a bit crazy, my son asks a tons of questions. Everything is a question, why does the watermelon drip, why can't the folding chair stand folded by itself, why is that the boys name etc etc. I know it's good for learning but I feel it's a bit much......how do I respond calmly to so many? And even when I give a good answer its still sometimes followed by more questions

LiLIsraeli

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 6:15 pm
You don't actually need to give him answers to all his questions. A good standard answer is, "That's a good question! What do you think?" and hear what he says. Sometimes he won't know, and you'll answer him. But this allows him to learn and figure things out for himself most of the time.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:
I am going a bit crazy, my son asks a tons of questions. Everything is a question, why does the watermelon drip, why can't the folding chair stand folded by itself, why is that the boys name etc etc. I know it's good for learning but I feel it's a bit much......how do I respond calmly to so many? And even when I give a good answer its still sometimes followed by more questions

That's great your child is inquisitive. By the time he is a reader he'll be on to discovery learning on his own with the proper resources. I would encourage these questions, uses a counter question as exampled above and sometimes tell him you'll get back to him for questions and answers but right now you are busy and focused on______, fill in the blank.

Remember too, it's not to hard to answer these questions when you are ironing, folding laundry, cooking dinner, washing dishes. I had a real problem because there were times when I didn't know the answer and we'd get sidetracked into spending a hour in the encyclopedia or taking a trip to the library.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 8:42 pm
I started a similar thread when my older dc was this age lol! My dd is now 7 and her teachers comment on what a love for learning she has- I know it can drive you crazy but it really is a good thing and it's beautiful to watch now that's she older. And yes thank G-d she can read now!!!1

About answering questions while doing something else- I am absolutely dreadful at multi tasking even with simple tasks so I'll often ask her to hold off asking any questions until I finish parking or getting ready for shabbos because I just can't do both! You've gotten good answers and I'm going to try to use them also so thank you!

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 5:08 pm
I answer all my dd's questions. She's 4 now, she's been like this since she was around 3. This kid talks all day long and asks a million questions. But I see that she is so bright and curious, and I want her to keep that. Sometimes, I just take a deep breath for extra strength and then answer. Now that she's 4, I find that her questions turn into conversations and are less 'annoying', and that I actually enjoying having an intelligent conversation with her. As far as I'm concerned, it's much better to talk about something intelligent with my 4 year old than hear her talk non-stop about Barney. . .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers