Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What do you most look for in a seamstress?

imabima

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 7:52 pm
What are your most often needed jobs for a seamstress?
I am looking to advertise my services but I'm a little hesitant because I'm afraid that people will mostly have things that I'm not comfortable doing (like expensive garments, gowns, etc.) when I am really more comfortable with things like hems, buttons, and smaller things.
Would you take smaller jobs to someone in the community if you knew bigger jobs would have to go to someone else?
Any other thoughts or ideas welcome!

ckk

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 7:57 pm
I for sure would.
The seamstresses' who are busy sewing gown have no time for the smaller things and they take ages to get it done.
They also charge a fortune.
If you make your prices low and the service quick you could find your niche.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 8:05 pm
I agree.

Water Stones

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 8:19 pm
I used to do small seamstress work from my home doing hems, making button holes, making cuffs on shirts, taking-in seams. I got a lot of business from my block. Some ladies even brought to me their fabric to sew into burp cloths and bibs to give for gifts.

If I didn't know how to do sewing, I would surely go to someone like you for the simple things, not bother with a full seamstress.

I hope you start a successful business!!! If you're in Brooklyn I will tell everyone about your services!!

Maya

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 8:27 pm
My first reaction to any business question is always customer service, but I think in this line of work, my answer is competence. People want their tailoring done perfectly.
I agree with the others that there's a need for someone to do small and simple jobs.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 8:29 pm
I think there's a market for women who want to add material onto the bottom of not expensive shorter dresses.

I've seen Jewish places charge $30+ for something like that (and who wants to pay that on a $20-30 dress) whereas non-Jewish charged $10. (I supplied the material.)

If women knew they could count on you to add material, it would really open up their options in terms of buying cheaper clothing.

purple 1

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 8:39 pm
For sure I would!
I can't sew a button for the life of me... I'm always looking for someone to do the simple mending for me for a good price a lot of the better seamstresses either charge a lot to do a simple hem, won't do it, or say yea and forget about it...
costumer service is the key here though

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 9:50 pm
I would definitely bring hems to you. If you do good work I'll be a repeat customer. You can specify that you only do weekday clothes, or only washable fabrics.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Jun 14 2017, 10:04 pm
Competence and timeliness. If you're in Baltimore and can add side seam pockets to jumper dresses, please pm me!

imabima

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:07 pm
Thanks for the replies! Next phase of questioning...

How much do/would you pay for these type of jobs?
Replacing a button
Replacing a zipper
Hemming a skirt with no liner
Hemming a skirt with liner
Taking in a neckline
Anything else?

Thanks!

Water Stones

Post Wed, Jun 21 2017, 9:06 pm
[quote="imabima"]Thanks for the replies! Next phase of questioning...

How much do/would you pay for these type of jobs?

Replacing a button. 1$ a button
Making button holes. 2$ each
Replacing a zipper. 5$
Hemming a skirt with no liner. 10$
Hemming a skirt with liner 12$
Taking in a neckline. 10$
Sewing seams that ripped open. 10$
Adding new cuffs to shirts when the the original cuffs are too stained with dirt. 15$

Would you pay these prices, another's?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics