Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Looking for vegan meal ideas for shabbat

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 3:06 am
We are having guests on shabbat that are completely vegan (no animal products at all)
Anyone here make some yummy vegan dishes that you can share here? We usually have chicken but I need a main dish or side dishes that a vegan can eat.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:53 am
If it's not too hot to leave a crockpot on, how about pareve chulent? The beans and barley make a complete protein. Chili is another good crockpot option for vegan meals, with beans and corn. Majadra is good if you'd rather something that can be put on the plata in the morning. Anything pareve that doesn't rely on egg (and doesn't have fish) is good.

You can also do a meal with a lot of salatim- Israeli vegans seem to have a particular thing for tehina, so I'd include it plain and maybe also with eggplant.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:58 am
water_bear88 wrote:
If it's not too hot to leave a crockpot on, how about pareve chulent? The beans and barley make a complete protein. Chili is another good crockpot option for vegan meals, with beans and corn. Majadra is good if you'd rather something that can be put on the plata in the morning. Anything pareve that doesn't rely on egg (and doesn't have fish) is good.

You can also do a meal with a lot of salatim- Israeli vegans seem to have a particular thing for tehina, so I'd include it plain and maybe also with eggplant.
I dont own a crock pot Sad
I plan to do many salatim anyway Smile

etky

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 5:17 am
A main dish is always a challenge with vegans.
When our vegan friends come for a Shabbat meal I usually also go the parve cholent route.
Minus a cholent/stew type dish you can serve lots of sides in lieu of a main course.
Make sure to include some heartier grain+ legume or nuts dishes for protein like quinoa, kasha varnishkes (I make it w/o the egg), majadrah, rice + beans, bulgar pilaf with almonds etc. served hot or as salads.
Aside from salatim, include some fresh veggie based salads and/or cooked or roasted veggie dishes.
You can also serve some hearty, saucy dishes like ratatouille, green beans in tomato sauce or spicy chickpea stew at room temperature.
If you're feeling adventurous and if you know they like Tivol, you can make a "meat" lasagna.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 5:33 am
Etky, do you have a recipe for the spicy chickpea stew? That sounds like it would go over well with my family. (Not vegan, but more than one here who prefers not to be fleishik all afternoon and sometimes it's good to have a change from cheese.)

etky

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 5:52 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Etky, do you have a recipe for the spicy chickpea stew? That sounds like it would go over well with my family. (Not vegan, but more than one here who prefers not to be fleishik all afternoon and sometimes it's good to have a change from cheese.)

I make two thing: the first I think I got off an imamother thread a few years ago. It's served cool like a salad:

Joan on Third's Curried Chickpeas
Ingredients:
1/2 cup diced onions
4 teaspoons best-quality olive oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
Salt

Directions:

1. In a large sauté pan heated over medium-high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until deep golden and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic and lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.

3. Add the chickpeas, cilantro and lemon juice and continue to stir to develop the flavors, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with one-fourth teaspoon salt, or to taste.

4. Cool the salad, then transfer it to a container, cover and refrigerate until chilled before serving, at least 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and lemon juice as desired. This makes just over 3 cups salad.

ETA: I usually amp up the seasoning in the salad to make it spicier.

The other thing I make is Channa Masala. I don't have a proper recipe - I sort of amalgamated a few that I found on-line. Basically you sautee onion and garlic and then add spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, hot red pepper and a bit of ginger until it all becomes very aromatic. Then I add canned chopped tomatoes or tomato puree and canned chickpeas and let it all simmer together until the seasoning is blended and everything mellows out. I serve it at room temperature. It's good over rice.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:28 am
etky wrote:
A main dish is always a challenge with vegans.
When our vegan friends come for a Shabbat meal I usually also go the parve cholent route.
Minus a cholent/stew type dish you can serve lots of sides in lieu of a main course.
Make sure to include some heartier grain+ legume or nuts dishes for protein like quinoa, kasha varnishkes (I make it w/o the egg), majadrah, rice + beans, bulgar pilaf with almonds etc. served hot or as salads.
Aside from salatim, include some fresh veggie based salads and/or cooked or roasted veggie dishes.
You can also serve some hearty, saucy dishes like ratatouille, green beans in tomato sauce or spicy chickpea stew at room temperature.
If you're feeling adventurous and if you know they like Tivol, you can make a "meat" lasagna.

I have a feeling that not al tivol products are vegan.

We have a lot of vegan guests. I do tons of salatim. Not all vegans care about the eggs in the challah, but assume they do, so make sure your challah or bread is vegan. Veg soup. Majedra. Persian rice. Lentil curry. roast veggies. Some type of boreka eg mushroom. (these are good cold too) Eggplants sliced in half and roasted drizzeled with techina.

etky

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:36 am
Raisin wrote:

We have a lot of vegan guests. I do tons of salatim. Not all vegans care about the eggs in the challah, but assume they do, so make sure your challah or bread is vegan. Veg soup. Majedra. Persian rice. Lentil curry. roast veggies. Some type of boreka eg mushroom. (these are good cold too) Eggplants sliced in half and roasted drizzeled with techina.

They're not, but the vegetarian 'ground meat' is.
Not everyone cares for it though.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:38 am
etky wrote:
I make two thing: the first I think I got off an imamother thread a few years ago. It's served cool like a salad:

Joan on Third's Curried Chickpeas
Ingredients:
1/2 cup diced onions
4 teaspoons best-quality olive oil
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lemon juice, or to taste
Salt

Directions:

1. In a large sauté pan heated over medium-high heat, sauté the onion in the olive oil until deep golden and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently.

2. Add the turmeric, cumin, coriander and cayenne pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic and lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.

3. Add the chickpeas, cilantro and lemon juice and continue to stir to develop the flavors, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with one-fourth teaspoon salt, or to taste.

4. Cool the salad, then transfer it to a container, cover and refrigerate until chilled before serving, at least 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and lemon juice as desired. This makes just over 3 cups salad.

ETA: I usually amp up the seasoning in the salad to make it spicier.

The other thing I make is Channa Masala. I don't have a proper recipe - I sort of amalgamated a few that I found on-line. Basically you sautee onion and garlic and then add spices: cumin, coriander, turmeric, garam masala, hot red pepper and a bit of ginger until it all becomes very aromatic. Then I add canned chopped tomatoes or tomato puree and canned chickpeas and let it all simmer together until the seasoning is blended and everything mellows out. I serve it at room temperature. It's good over rice.

Thank you! I hope to try it some time soon. What is garam masala called in Hebrew and where do you find it?

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:42 am
Raisin wrote:

I think the ground "meat" was always vegan, and they've changed a couple of other recipes to be vegan too. The vegan Tivol products are marked as such with that radish-heart symbol that's been popping up on a lot of products lately- I think it says vegan.co.il inside the radish or something like that.

etky

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:42 am
water_bear88 wrote:
Thank you! I hope to try it some time soon. What is garam masala called in Hebrew and where do you find it?

Called the same in Hebrew.
I got it at Pereg in the shuk but really any spice store should have it.

water_bear88

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:20 am
etky wrote:
Called the same in Hebrew.
I got it at Pereg in the shuk but really any spice store should have it.

I'll look for it next time I get to the shuk. Thank you!

mandksima

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 11:42 am
I usually make a quinoa roasted vegetable salad for vegans. Make quinoa and cool. Separately, cut various vegetables and put on tray with olive oil and salt/pepper. Roast until soft and cool. I use sweet potato, zucchini, eggplant, colored peppers and onions/red onions. After, I mix them together and add olive oil, lemon juice and zest, fresh parsley or cilantro, craisins, toasted almonds or walnuts. Salt and pepper to taste. Some cumin and ground corriander if you like it. Add more lemon if needed.

cbg

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 3:44 pm
I always have vegan ppl over.
I don't worry too much about what they will eat
There's always salads (at least 5 types) and sides (at least 3-4)
I'm not concern about there being a protein for them.
If they miss a protein here and there, big deal.

I do a stuffed artichoke bottom, stuffed with spinach, and sprinkled on top with ground almonds, since I want to keep things low carb, for my sake.
This, I bake in a tomato and lemon sauce.

1 pkg artichoke bottom
1 pkg frozen spinach, defrosted
1 chopped onion
Salt, pepper, garlic, allspice, cinnamon (any other spices) to taste
1/2-1 cup Coarsely ground Almonds
1 can tomato sauce
1 large lemon
Salt and pepper, garlic, allspice, cinnamon to taste

Boil the artichoke bottoms until tender, but not falling apart.
Shave the bottoms a bit so they sit straight

Squeeze all the water out of the spinach
Sauté onion
Add to spinach
Season and mix well
Tightly pack into each artichoke bottom with spinach
Generously sprinkle each with ground almond

In a Pyrex add sauce, 1 can of water, juice of 1 lemon, seasoning to taste.

Gently place each artichoke bottom on top of sauce.

Cover and bake for about 30-40 minutes.

If you like take off foil the last 3-5 minutes and broil. Watch carefully nuts don't burn.

tichellady

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 3:49 pm
Lots of good ideas here!
A few more: sweet and sour lentils, lentil salad, tofu with green beans

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:05 pm
Anything Indian. Try Manjula's Kitchen on YouTube.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals