Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Pls tell me about camp Bais Yaakov
1  2  Next

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 1:03 pm
DD might want to go next year. I know a few girls who go, but I am not judging a whole camp based on 3 girls. We are yeshivish, but always lived OOT.

How frum is it?
What kind of girls? Laid back OOT? in town? Jappy?

DD needs chilled out girls who are still pretty frum and tznius.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 1:53 pm
The girls I know that go are nice very frum girls. Their with-it but not jappy at all.

imasinger

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:35 pm
When my DD went, there were a number of OOT girls, as well as plenty of in-towners.

That was a while ago, but the girls who currently go from my OOT community really love it.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:42 pm
My dd went there. She said she found it very boring. My dd is a lively kid and camp was very non-stimulating for her, plus all the punishments she had to endure for being late to davening or breakfast, etc. She had an unpleasant experience overall.

My dd got ''punished'' for talking about a topic that is normal to talk about among friends. The hanhala may be more high strung about matters than my dd was comfortable with.

She was criticized non-stop for being her natural self, for wearing certain clothes we had no idea was banned there (cap sleeves).

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:47 pm
Not jappy at all.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 4:51 pm
It is very frum but a good camp. I went there almost 20 years ago so things may have changed.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
My dd went there. She said she found it very boring. My dd is a lively kid and camp was very non-stimulating for her, plus all the punishments she had to endure for being late to davening or breakfast, etc. She had an unpleasant experience overall.

My dd got ''punished'' for talking about a topic that is normal to talk about among friends. The hanhala may be more high strung about matters than my dd was comfortable with.

She was criticized non-stop for being her natural self, for wearing certain clothes we had no idea was banned there (cap sleeves).

It's interesting that your saying this. I have one dd going there who has been enjoying it for years.

But another dd didn't do too well there because she always had a hard time with following rules, she needs a little more breathing room.

But..in the camps that she liked, the girls were going to sleep at crazy hours.

At least in Bais Yaakov, they get a decent night sleep.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:39 pm
My sister went to CBY for the past 5 years, from when she was a senior (going into 8th grade) until she became a member of the staff there. She really enjoyed the experience, but found the regular camp program to be a bit tedious and boring. She really enjoyed being a TC, though. (Girls going into 10th and 11th grades are Teen Campers, with an amazing program that all of the girls really, really enjoy.)
There are girls of all types in CBY, ranging from very yeshivish to not yeshivish at all. There are many in towners, as well as many out of towners.
I can ask my sister any specific questions that you post here, if you'd like.
Hatzlacha making the right decision!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Aug 26 2018, 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:36 pm
My daughter went there for 4 years. She loved loved every minute of it. The grounds are well kept and beautiful and a nice, more right wing not jappy bunch of girls. There are def stricter rules than in other camps since that is really the kind of crowd they cater too. Overall a really healthy environment. It seems to be a oot and Lakewood crowd mixed. Good luck with your descision.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:43 pm
Both my DD's went there for 3 years. I would describe my girls as middle of the road in-town Yeshivish - put together but not jappy. They really had good summers in the Machaneh, overall. They liked the atmosphere, the friends, etc...one DD was a bit free-spirited there, and while she didn't win a popularity contest with the staff, she never got into any trouble that I heard of.....I guess she followed enough rules to keep out of trouble, and broke enough to have fun.

I think there's quite a range of types in CBY. For example, DD told me that last year her almost whole Chai (TC's) was from Lakewood, and though she had a good time, she did not really appreciate that. Being from Lakewood herself, she actually preferred her bunk a previous year, with a little diversity to spice things up.....

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:15 pm
OP here.

Thank you everyone! Please continue to post.

How can sleep a way camp be tedious and boring? Anyway you can explain?

DD would not appreciate boring, but so many ppl loved it...?

She is an action seeker and a free thinker too. Do you think maybe it isn't for her? I won't base our whole decision on Imamother comments, so don't worry. I am just wondering.

I know girls going this year who we will speak to when they get back.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:30 pm
If a free-thinking girl can keep her thoughts to herself, she can make it.

Otherwise, I'd say it's not the ideal place for a free-thinker.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 10:34 pm
amother wrote:
If a free-thinking girl can keep her thoughts to herself, she can make it.

Otherwise, I'd say it's not the ideal place for a free-thinker.

What would be good?

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 4:17 am
I went there as did my younger sister who is a lot more out of the box and free thinking than I am.

We both loved it.
Some things you might want to know:
it's considered LESS strict than other right wing camps.

The reason why some may consider it boring is because the schedule is not as intense (def. Before the TC program) and the girls can create their own fun. For example, one rainy day, the schedule called for indoor games, instead a group of girls organized a mud slide and half the camp joined in. The staff encouraged it fully. One motzai Shabbos we TC girls made a "zombie night", and the staff thought it was funny. ..
The best memories were the ones we created ourselves. And of course, the Shabbos singing in machene bais yaakov....

Most of the girls and upper staff are from Lakewood. It was a culture shock for me, from Brooklyn, to be considered almost an "out of towner" because I wasn't from lakewood. Turned out to be the best thing ever, as we got lumped with the real out of towners, and they are awesome. Later, as staff, the lakewood girls were definitely more likely to get the "better" jobs. I didn't care about prestige, but it bothered others.

I'm surprised that one poster wrote about not knowing that cap sleeves aren't allowed. Afaik, it's clearly in the rules.

As many others stated, it is not the place for a JAP.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 4:45 am
Which camp BY

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:47 am
Is there a difference in crowd between first half and second?

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:58 am
amother wrote:

I'm surprised that one poster wrote about not knowing that cap sleeves aren't allowed. Afaik, it's clearly in the rules.

Sorry, please explain this whole sleeve thing. Don't elbows have to be covered? Do they allow short sleeves? Or, is this saying that cap sleeves with a shell isn't allowed? I want to assume you are all talking about with a shell, but if I am wrong, I can't risk assuming.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
Is there a difference in crowd between first half and second?

YES, great question (I'm OP)!!!!

Who can speak to this question??

Thank you so much, everyone!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 9:16 am
Who runs Camp BY?

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 9:40 am
amother wrote:
Sorry, please explain this whole sleeve thing. Don't elbows have to be covered? Do they allow short sleeves? Or, is this saying that cap sleeves with a shell isn't allowed? I want to assume you are all talking about with a shell, but if I am wrong, I can't risk assuming.

cap sleeves with a shell underneath are not allowed. Note: many campers would feel comfortable wearing cap sleeves with a shell , and do so at home, but refrain from wearing them in camp out of respect for the camp rules.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children