Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Almost 6 mth old barely sleeps
1  2  Next

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:27 pm
Please please help me... I am at the end of my rope. I can't believe I actually had another baby, where were my brains. I love my baby but he is so challenging.
He is almost 6 mths old. He barely sleeps, I put him to sleep and he wakes up so fast. He is very cranky, I can hardly ever put him down on the floor,
Please please help me,

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:31 pm
Hve you made an actual sleep log of how much sleep he actually gets or are you too tired for that:)

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:32 pm
I am definitely too tired for that but I know.. He sleeps 3 times a day 30-45min each, and at night 11 hrs

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:35 pm
Cry it out. Weissbluth. That's it.

6 months is too long for a baby not to sleep. He's cranky BECAUSE he doesn't sleep.

It will be better for you and him.

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 6:41 pm
Thx copper but that's not my personality,
And it won't help bc the problem is he doesn't stay asleep

Any other advice?

lucky14

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:47 pm
he's sleeping at night a full 11 hours though? So it's just the naps that are short? mine was like that, it is tough! is he "cranky" when you're holding him or when you try to put him down?

amother
White

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 7:48 pm
Yes bh, he sleeps really well at night, he is not cranky when held. Just when I put him down

mille

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
I am definitely too tired for that but I know.. He sleeps 3 times a day 30-45min each, and at night 11 hrs

Sounds pretty darn normal. Not the best napper, but sleeps plenty at night and naps are well within the realm of normal.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:49 pm
amother wrote:

My baby is 6 months old also and be thankful yours sleeps 11 hours at night mine naps maybe for 20 minutes altogether during the day and gets up 3x in the middle of the night thank gd we have a full time live in cause she seriously gets maybe 6 hours of sleep in a 24 hr period and I can't do it anymore.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 4:01 am
Put him down on his tummy with toys in front of him. Get down with him. Either play with him or do something like folding laundry. He should be learning to play on the floor now. Once he finds the floor and toys interesting, you will get a little break.
It's okay if he cries. Try to distract him with toys at first. This takes time, but much more pleasant than the resentment of constant holding a crying baby.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 6:57 am
amother wrote:
My baby is 6 months old also and be thankful yours sleeps 11 hours at night mine naps maybe for 20 minutes altogether during the day and gets up 3x in the middle of the night thank gd we have a full time live in cause she seriously gets maybe 6 hours of sleep in a 24 hr period and I can't do it anymore.

Mine was like this. Insanity. At 9 months we trained her with a sleep coach, because we couldn't anymore. Not perfect but much better.

amother
White

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 11:32 am
What did the sleep coach do?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 11:45 am
Coached me on what to do to get her to sleep through the night and nap better.

amother
Brunette

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 4:38 pm
Even if you don't want to do Weissbluth's cry it out, I strongly recommend reading his book anyway - Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child - because it gives so much helpful information about when/where/why/how babies sleep that is useful. You don't have to do cry it out just because you read his book, but I guarantee that there is other helpful info in the book.

cholenteater

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:
Please please help me... I am at the end of my rope. I can't believe I actually had another baby, where were my brains. I love my baby but he is so challenging.
He is almost 6 mths old. He barely sleeps, I put him to sleep and he wakes up so fast. He is very cranky, I can hardly ever put him down on the floor,
Please please help me,

Wow this sounds tough!
Have you tried a sound machine? Or a blanket just taken from the dryer so it's warm? That was a huge help for me- I would put the blanket in the dryer for a few minutes and then my baby would fall asleep into a deeper sleep and not wake up as fast- the warmth so other him. This, combined with the noise machine really helped.
Would you be interested in a mat that has small vibrations and noise to mimic the womb? If yes I'll go search for it, I forgot what it's called. I only found out about it after my baby was older.

cholenteater

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 10:45 pm
amother wrote:

Woah didn't read this!! Wow! My baby who is a year+ still wakes up 2 times a night! This actually sounds great to me.

amother
White

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 10:46 pm
Thanks everyone, cholent eater u r so nice. And Brunnette, thx I will try order the book! Even though there are alot of reviews on this book that are saying that the book is very disorganized and not written properly?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 5:28 am
I thought that the setup of the book is logical - e.g. each chapter is for a specific age. Inside each chapter is not super organized, but I thought it was fine. Good luck!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 7:06 am
You have extremely unreasonably expectations of your baby
11 hours at night is well beyond normal
And three naps a day of 40 minutes is very normal as well
The question is why you are not coping with that amount of sleep
Are you sleeping enough, is there something else going on? Are you eating well?
The problem is not your babies sleep habits

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 12 2018, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

chanitroy

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:54 am
I agree with op that your baby isnt getting enough sleep, and even more so for saphire another!
I would highly recommend reading "the baby whisperer solves your problem by teaching you how to ask he right questions"- by Tracy hogg. Her approach is very sensible and doesn't involve leaving the baby to cry it out. Some of her ideas:
-start as you mean to go on = teach ur baby good sleep habits(independent sleep) that will last throughout their life. She uses the pick up put downmethod instead of cry it out. It does involve crying but in such a way that you a re there supporting them through it. The r are many details involved to make this method work... So again I would recommend you read the actual book.
-routine called EASY- eat, activity, sleep. At different ages different amounts of time elapse between naps... At 6 month would be 2 he max awake time with 2 hour naps. And eating upon waking from nap. Hence why I believe your baby is not getting enough sleep, so of course she won't be a happy independent baby while awake!
Basically babies under 9 months need 15-17 hrs of sleep in a 24 he period. Then they will be happy babies.
Goodluck!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics