Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
You just cant win!

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:30 pm
I should have seen this coming!!!
We named our dd after two different people, one from my father's side and one from my mother's. On my father's side, the reaction was, "but that wasn't her name! Her name was XY, not YZ!"
Well, we were just trying to honor her memory by putting part of her name in our daughters name... But whatever...
And on my mother's side, don't ask! My mother was carrying on (not to me, but to my single sibings) about why we didn't name after her grandmother, who was a rebbetzin (and who has lots and lots of grandchildren named after her, and who I did not care to name after for many reasons). Instead we chose a name of a woman who is a great great great... Grandmother, and which name we really like. We felt it was a nod to my mother's family but also a way to choose a name we like. Well, my mother is acting like a two year old child. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:34 pm
Op here.
With our oldest, we did the same for my husband's family- we chose names we liked and did a mixture of names from my mother in law and father in laws side, and guess what??? They were all thrilled and so happy and grateful! Why oh why is my family so difficult???

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:35 pm
Been there.

Let the wave wash out.

Stay quiet.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jun 15 2017, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
Been there.

Let the wave wash out.

Stay quiet.

My grandmother still always 'forgets' my sons name because It's only one name of her father's two. My older son carried that name already so we could not give the full name to my second son. She claims if it's only half the name then it's not after her father.

Some waves continue waving...
But there Are other oceans you can swim in. It's ok bubby. We must not visit so often. We don't need to pain you...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 4:38 am
Ignore at first. If they get nasty or too weird, tell them you can't expose the children.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 4:59 am
A Red Indian boy asked his father how he chose his children's names.

"Well," the father explained " I am influenced by nature. For example, your sister is called 'Flying Eagle', for that was the first thing I saw after her birth...but why do you ask, Pissing Dog?" LOL

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 9:54 am
amother wrote:
A Red Indian boy asked his father how he chose his children's names.

"Well," the father explained " I am influenced by nature. For example, your sister is called 'Flying Eagle', for that was the first thing I saw after her birth...but why do you ask, Pissing Dog?" LOL

My husband told me that joke during labor. Except his version of the punchline was Garbage Can. Every time I saw the gc I started laughing which eventually HURT. We had to move the gc out of my line of vision.
And no more jokes, ever, during labor.

As for the names, I am a firm believer in the parents having ruach hakodesh. I will say that the one time I combined a name I davka picked a direct ancestor of the person I named after because as much as I wanted dc to use that name, if s/he would have opted for the other name, I would have felt at peace because of the connection to the preferred name. This is just my approach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names