Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
Single with 2nd seat vs. Double Stroller
1  2  Next

BLG613

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 12:19 pm
I am iy"H expecting my second child in early September. I keep going back and forth about what to buy stroller-wise. I did not do too much research with my first, and ended up buying a cheaper Britax single stroller which has served it's purpose so far, but doesn't allow for a second seat to be added for child #2. This time around, I would like to make a more educated purchase.

I personally don't love double strollers - they're wide, will take up a lot more space, and I don't really want to put an infant in a regular sized seat (I know you can add carseat to them, but still not so geshmak).

One of the biggest issues I have with my Britax is that it's an older model which doesn't allow me to switch my son's seat to face me (which would've helped tremendously in the winter when I had to push him into the wind!)

I considered the Bugaboo Donkey for about 2 seconds. Aside from its exorbitant cost (at LEAST $1,800 if not more with the add ons..) many of my friends told me that it's a heavy stroller and is not really meant to be shlepped around (I.e. if you want to put in the trunk, there's a whole dis-assembly process involved).

So lately I've been looking into the Baby Jogger Citi Minis and UppaBaby Vistas - both allow for second seat to be added.

My main concern with these strollers is if my kids are going to feel squished together? On the uppababy, they have an option of having the toddler front facing, but the seat looks SO low to the ground! Also, I can imagine that the stroller is much heavier to push with two kids in tow... but that could be same for doubles as well?

I looked into BumbleRide Indie Twin (double stroller) as well...

Just starting to feel like I"m going in circles.

Anyone with any of these strollers have advice - pros, cons, is it the best stroller you ever purchased or would you have bought a different stroller instead?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 12:24 pm
it depends on how old your older child will be when your baby is born. if s/he is still pretty young you do need a full double stroller. if the kids is older you can add a cozy rider or buggy board to your current stroller. for the latter you can take your stroller to the store and they'll match an attachment for your carriage.

miami85

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 12:32 pm
My feeling is that if your children are close in age and you already have a Britax carseat anyway Many quality doubles are already $300-$400. If you are considering the Uppa Baby Vista The Britax b-ready is about the same price and allows to convert it to a double. My kids were very happy with it, never complained about being squished, but I also feel like it encourages them to walk more and not be reliant on the stroller. Its not wider than a regular and allows your infant to face both ways (in the infant seat that snaps right in) They can't go in the regular stroller seat--though I have done it in a pinch, I have "strong infants" who developed neck control very early, but an infant can go in the bottom seat which allows your older child to feel like the baby/king a bit longer. Even when I don't need the double, I keep the 2nd seat for extra storage and "just in case" one of my kids wants to quit walking. It is heavy, but I think its lighter than the City Select and slightly more versitile than the Vista. I love it.

MommyM

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 1:02 pm
One thing to keep in mind, I've noticed that uppababy vista's second seat for the older kid is smaller than the main seat, and the weigt limit is lower.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 1:07 pm
My experience is that a tandem double stroller (I had a valco jogging stroller with a jump seat) was that they're hard to maneuver and impossible on stairs. I strongly prefer side by side double strollers (I have the city mini double). Yes, they're wide and inconvenient in stores. But they're a breeze to push and maneuver and on stairs.

For an infant, there are body cushions you can buy for about $20 to stabilize them in a regular stroller seat that reclines.

If the older child is already 2+, you can use a buggy board attached to any single stroller. I've also seen sitting buggy boards.

kb

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 1:53 pm
I have used the uppababy with the rumble seat. They've improved it since I got my stroller, but I was reasonably happy with it.

It's practically impossible to do steps or bump up curbs. It's very long. The weight I would assume is the same as a real double, but I can't say for sure because I never had one.

None of my children minded the rumble seat, and they liked being able to climb in and out themselves.

As far as I know, unless there's been changes, you can't fold the stroller with the rumble seat on. I wouldn't use it with a car on a regular basis.

miami85

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 2:12 pm
The Britax b-ready is also a tandem and the second seat is underneath. I've gotten it up and downstairs with 2 kids--its really heavy so if the kid is old enough and awake she/he comes out, but not impossible. Even though the weight limit is lower on the tandem seat, in a pinch my older kid has been able to sit there without any signs of visible stress on the seat. It seems pretty sturdy. The 2nd seat CAN fold down and stay attached constantly with a one-hand recline.

zigi

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 3:45 pm
buggy board isn't good if they need to nap or don't want to leave the playground etc.

Smile1234

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 4:36 pm
The uppababy vista when the 2 seats are facing away from each other is long like a truck! I've never pushed the newest version, but I know that the previous model (before there was option for facing the seats in diff directions) was really really hard to push. I know someone who had it and then once pushed someones side by side double and was amazed how easy it is to push.

tandem is hard or impossible to bounce up steps with both kids, side by side is not

I have the city mini gt double and am thrilled with it. pushes like a dream, goes up steps great... but it is quite wide. I manage just fine even on yerushalayim streets, it just works out.

THe only city mini single you can add a seat too is the select, and I don't think it pushes nearly as well as the uppababy.

I have a buggy board on my single, and its great for short distances. Started using it when my older child was 3. Not good for trips to a mall and the like when theres a lot of walking that the child has to stand the whole time. Some strollers are hard to push with them, depending on the handlebar. There are sitting ones but I have no experience with them.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 10:47 pm
Mountain buggy plus one, love it!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 10:37 am
I have the uppa baby vista and the valco ultra snap duo (double).

I loved the uppa baby as I had a bassinet on bottom in the back and my older child in the regular seat higher up facing me. However, it's really difficult to go up or down stairs with it. It is more difficult to push but was easier in the snow than my double.

The Valco ultra snap duo (double) is lightweight, has an extended canopy, you can purchase a car seat adapter, and one bassinet as well. It has a nice size basket and easily goes up and down stairs. The only chisaron is that it is a bit wide so I had trouble taking it into 1 or 2 stores. Otherwise, I've used it with a newborn and a toddler and I loved it. Another plus to this carriage is that a toddler has more room for his legs. The others have a metal bar to rest the feet on that by 18-24 months, the legs are raised towards the chest. Here it can sit on the bar lower down or just dangle and not have a bar push the feet up or dig into the back of the legs.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
I have the uppa baby vista and the valco ultra snap duo (double).

I loved the uppa baby as I had a bassinet on bottom in the back and my older child in the regular seat higher up facing me. However, it's really difficult to go up or down stairs with it. It is more difficult to push but was easier in the snow than my double.

The Valco ultra snap duo (double) is lightweight, has an extended canopy, you can purchase a car seat adapter, and one bassinet as well. It has a nice size basket and easily goes up and down stairs. The only chisaron is that it is a bit wide so I had trouble taking it into 1 or 2 stores. Otherwise, I've used it with a newborn and a toddler and I loved it. Another plus to this carriage is that a toddler has more room for his legs. The others have a metal bar to rest the feet on that by 18-24 months, the legs are raised towards the chest. Here it can sit on the bar lower down or just dangle and not have a bar push the feet up or dig into the back of the legs.

I'm so interested in the ultra snap duo back but they don't seem to make it anymore. When did you get it? The uppababy pushes really well even with 2 I think.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 2:30 pm
Forgot to mention that I know someone who used a GT double with a bassinet for her baby on one of the sides. That solves the putting baby in a big seat issue for you. Not great for someone who is in and out of a car though. There's always the car seat adapter though.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 3:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so interested in the ultra snap duo back but they don't seem to make it anymore. When did you get it? The uppababy pushes really well even with 2 I think.

Got it two years ago at Everything but the Baby in Crown Heights.
The uppababy pushes ok with 2 (turns can be a little difficult) but you cannot compare to the push on the Valco double.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Jun 18 2017, 9:17 pm
I have the newer model Uppababy Vista.

it pushes amazing (even with one hand!)
but...it is very heavy so not practical to take in and out of car. the rumble seat only fits a child max till abt 18 mnths, very hard to go up and down stairs...
also-the base is very wide in the 2016 model (I think in the newest one its 1-2 in narrower now) never pushed a side by side double but its a very tight squeeze to get in and out of a single door store...

still like it a lot! its neat looking, has a huge basket, and so versatile-car seat, bassinet, reg seat all interchangeable on bottom and on top!

BLG613

Post Tue, Jun 27 2017, 1:50 pm
Thank you everyone for your replies!
My son will be 21 months when I'm due, and as of now (19 months) is still not walking (he has a physical therapist... iy"H he'll be walking by time he starts playgroup in the fall!!)
I guess the idea of a double stroller with a car seat/bassinet on it just throws me off...too much going on! (I'm not into forward facing all the time for ANY of my kids, but especially with a newborn, I just won't do it!)
But now I keep second guessing myself with everyone's replies about the single stroller with extra seat being heavy/cumbersome etc...
I don't know how much in/out of the car I will need this time around, as I plan on hiring someone to stay with the baby during the day (I work full time) and walk down the block to take my son to playgroup and pick him up in afternoons.
But then I keep thinking, do I really want to buy a single/tandem stroller and THEN a double?

>_<

If only I had taken these things into consideration when I bought my first stroller....

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:00 pm
Hi
Bumping this thread up cause I have a similar question...

I currently own an uppa baby Vista and I was wondering if it makes sense to invest in and purchase the rumble seat or to buy a whole new double stroller when my 2nd bezh will be born...
- my ds will be 2 and 4 months at that point and we will be going in to the winter....
- currently my life style is very car based and I don't see that changing anytime soon... We only use the stroller on shabbos or to take walks in the park/zoo/trips
- at not even 2 (this past shabbos) my son practically walked about 1/2 to shul on his own (and back) I ran out of paicentce so he went in the stroller....
- I plan on for sure getting the rumble board but my ds is very active k"ah and I feel like I will still need to strap him in at times...

Any advice from more experienced moms out there or those who've used the uppa baby as a double?

Sebastian

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:29 pm
I wouldn't turn the vista into a double. Most big kids hate the rumble seat

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:30 pm
Why are you considering a different double? I think the uppababy is a very convenient option for anyone who isn't doing a lot of walking. Which you say you aren't.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 22 2019, 9:33 pm
I have the Valco double. I use it almost daily to far distances. It has a big hood and all ages are comfy in it. It also folds small and it’s more lightweight. Only chasaron is - hard to put bags underneath the carriage.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics