Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Linen please educate me

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 1:43 pm
What is the best linen?
100% cotton?

Or something with thread Count? What is thread count I hear it all the time but don't know what it is.

I am asking bc I have 5 sets of linen. But
We only end up using one bc it is so so comfortable u seriously feel the difference., even though it is soo old and washed soo many times. There is just something magical about this linen.
Its from country road (Australia) and I just looked on the website and it says it's 100% cotton.

Please educate me..! Thanks!

cnc

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 1:50 pm
Poly cotton lasts longer. It is stronger and washes better. Cotton is softer but wears out more quickly. The higher the thread count, the softer it is is.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 1:53 pm
The soft linen you like may be made with a high thread count cotton sateen.
Quality linen needs at least 200 thread count.
Something soft would be upwards of 300 thread count and it might be labeled as cotton sateen or Egyptian cotton.
Poly cotton may last longer (because the softer linen will start to shred at some point) but it's not soft and if it's not made well, it will pimple.
We prefer high thread count cotton and if the sheets start to shred after a few years, we buy sheets that coordinate and continue using the linen set for a few more years.

smss

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 2:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
The soft linen you like may be made with a high thread count cotton sateen.
Quality linen needs at least 200 thread count.
Something soft would be upwards of 300 thread count and it might be labeled as cotton sateen or Egyptian cotton.
Poly cotton may last longer (because the softer linen will start to shred at some point) but it's not soft and if it's not made well, it will pimple.
We prefer high thread count cotton and if the sheets start to shred after a few years, we buy sheets that coordinate and continue using the linen set for a few more years.

How is the high thread count cotton as far as wrinkling? The low thread count cotton sheets I have wrinkle terribly.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jun 16 2017, 2:17 pm
I think you should get at least 300 for comfort.. that's what I have for my kids. I think mine is 500. My husband moves around a lot more in his sleep so it gets pretty creased, but I spray it with water and pull it and it straightens out.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jun 17 2017, 8:01 pm
smss wrote:
How is the high thread count cotton as far as wrinkling? The low thread count cotton sheets I have wrinkle terribly.

It might depend on the brand. We've had lots of sets and all have been great except one that I bought on overstock. The ends on the sham wrinkle.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:15 am
I saw in target 100 percent cotton linen for 30 dollars
I'm missing something why is it so cheap?

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
I saw in target 100 percent cotton linen for 30 dollars
I'm missing something why is it so cheap?

You're not missing anything. First make sure it's at least 200 thread count. There's also no guarantee that it won't stay wrinkled in the dryer and need ironing each time. $30 usually includes flat sheets and pillow cases for 1 bed so you'll need to buy 2 to get a set. And the sets usually don't include duvets to go over the blankets so you have to be ok with a bare blanket and no covering over it besides a flat sheet.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:29 am
amother wrote:
You're not missing anything. First make sure it's at least 200 thread count. There's also no guarantee that it won't stay wrinkled in the dryer and need ironing each time. $30 usually includes flat sheets and pillow cases for 1 bed so you'll need to buy 2 to get a set. And the sets usually don't include duvets to go over the blankets so you have to be ok with a bare blanket and no covering over it besides a flat sheet.

It does not say anything about thread Count..?

And I only need the fitted sheets

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Nov 12 2017, 11:46 am
I buy 300 count cotton for the softness that I love.

I just bought a new set 200 for my kids and it seems ok. It's not super soft but not scratchy at all. My kids are totally fine with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics